Test/Review of Xiaomi ZI5 1800mAh (White or Black)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Xiaomi ZI5 1800mAh (White or Black)[/size]

DSC_5070.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Brand: XiaoMi
  • Battery Type: NiMH
  • Rechargeable: Yes
  • Protected: No
  • Capacity (mAh): 1900mAh
  • Practical Capacity (mAh): 1800mAh
  • Voltage(V): 1.2V
  • Charge Current: 550mA
  • Max. Discharge Current: 3600mA
  • Charging Time (h): 4h
  • Mercury Free: Yes

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-info.png

Maximum temperature raise at different discharge currents: 1A:+1,1°C, 2A:+3,1°C, 3A:+5,4°C, 5A:+10,7°C, 7A:+15,7°C, 10A:+2,8°C
This is a Chinese brand of NiMH, a pack contains both white and black cells with the same specifications.

DSC_5069.jpg

DSC_5071.jpg
DSC_5072.jpg

DSC_5073.jpg

DSC_5074.jpg

DSC_5075.jpg

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-Capacity.png

The discharge curves for the two cells tracks very nicely. The capacity varies significantly with load.

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-CapacityTime.png

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-CapacityTimeHours.png

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-Energy.png

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-PowerLoadTime.png

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-CurrentTest.png

Xiaomi%20ZI5%201800mAh%20(White%20or%20Black)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

The cells looks good, they easily deliver the rated capacity, but has a problem at very high current.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

The batteries was supplied by Gearbest for a review.

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Compare to other AA/AAA batteries: Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
@HKJ

hello,
i bought xiaomi zi5 charger recently and went straight into problems with it...i have started charging 4 white AA eneloops using ikea koppla 3 usb charger...after 7 hours on the charger (?) all 4 eneloops are still charging (flashing slowly), and since they were pretty hot i stopped charging...checked voltage straight out of the charger and it is 1.5V...

tried another set of 4 white AA eneloops, 1 battery shows error flashing, 1 battery slot led is completely off, and 2 batteries are starting to charge...but, i stopped charging anyway and now i don't know what to think of this charger...

is it safe to use or not? how to check is it charger related problems or bad batteries?

HKJ

Flashaholic
@HKJ

hello,
i bought xiaomi zi5 charger recently and went straight into problems with it...i have started charging 4 white AA eneloops using ikea koppla 3 usb charger...after 7 hours on the charger (?) all 4 eneloops are still charging (flashing slowly), and since they were pretty hot i stopped charging...checked voltage straight out of the charger and it is 1.5V...

tried another set of 4 white AA eneloops, 1 battery shows error flashing, 1 battery slot led is completely off, and 2 batteries are starting to charge...but, i stopped charging anyway and now i don't know what to think of this charger...

is it safe to use or not? how to check is it charger related problems or bad batteries?

It sounds like you got a faulty one.

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you got a faulty one.

it looks like one...i bought it at gearbeast, i don't know, they will ask for return but return expenses are more than charger value itself...at the end of the day- wasted money...

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
@HKJ

it looks like xiaomi in general have some issues with mine ikea koppla 3 USB charger :) last night i was started charging my xiaomi 10400mah power bank with koppla...after a whole evening and night, at 10am power bank was still on the third led flashing (it has 4) and wasn't finished charging?

what could be the problem with ikea koppla? charger itself or specific usb cable? why some devices has problems charging with it? i have read your review about koppla and you've said some very positive things about it...

HKJ

Flashaholic
@HKJ

it looks like xiaomi in general have some issues with mine ikea koppla 3 USB charger :) last night i was started charging my xiaomi 10400mah power bank with koppla...after a whole evening and night, at 10am power bank was still on the third led flashing (it has 4) and wasn't finished charging?

what could be the problem with ikea koppla? charger itself or specific usb cable? why some devices has problems charging with it? i have read your review about koppla and you've said some very positive things about it...

There are 3 parameters that slows down charge speed:
1) Thin cable
2) Mismatch in coding (This is not used by all products).
3) Low voltage/low output current (Any usb charger can have low voltage, due to production tolerances).

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Just received my batch of these cells. As label clearly states, they are Made in China, by Panasonic Energy (Wuxi). Is not this a same plant, which makes Eneloops?