Headlamp for night hiking

snipe523

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a headlamp for night hiking and am liking the looks of the Nitecore HC30. Have any of you used it for this purpose? If so how do you like it? Also I know this is probably more personal preference, but would the cool or the neutral be better for the woods?

magnum70383

Enlightened
I've went hiking with a Zebralight headlight. I think it's really good having a headlight for hikes as you can use both of your hands to do other stuff!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer neutral white, indoor or outdoor. It's hard to talk about an angle headlamp without comparing it to one of the ZL lights. The Nitecore HC30 and the Zebralight H600 are nearly identical in size and weight. The H600 has a more sophisticated UI. The HC30 cost a lot less and comes with a clip.

I would say for the price the HC30 looks good.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HC30 Nitecore is a very good headlamp. I use one at work all day. I do find the jump from the 1 lumen low to the next level is too far apart at night in the woods. I use my Zebralight for woods walks. There are many low setting with the Zebralight. Cool or warm tint is up to you. Probably neutral is best.

snipe523

Newly Enlightened
That TH20 does look interesting. My main concern with that would be the battery life. I know I can easily carry extras but I would prefer not to have to worry about the battery. Kind of like range anxiety in electric cars lol.

snipe523

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up grabbing the HC30 in the neutral color. So far I am more than happy with this thing for the price. It should be perfect for what I want it for. My one and only complaint so far is the jump between the lowest two settings. Something in between the two would make this headlamp almost unbeatable at its price point.