How do you use your P60 dropins and hosts??

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm totally new to this so please bear with me. This will be my next light platform and doing my due diligence. To me, the benefit of a dropin versus a fixed light engine is the ability to swap the emitter using the same host, correct? This is ideal for me, because, I don't really want to buy a lot of flashlights for different purposes (well, a lot is relative term I guess). I'd like to buy a nice host, then I can buy different dropins with different tints, outputs, flood versus throw, etc, etc. Am I correct in saying this?? Please tell me. Also, do you guys who have these, frequently change your drop-in? or does it become a pain, so the drop-on/host essentially becomes a fixed light? Looking forward to your collective thoughts, thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You will likely get varying opinions.

Some like to have a small number of lights and play Lego to swap parts and pieces around.

Others buy a host for each module they acquire. That way at a glance it is more likely they'll know what to expect when the button is pressed.

Different strokes for different folks.
I chose the latter partly because I'm a collector who enjoys a variety and partly because the 70's were a lot of fun, but my memory now suffers.

"Hmmm let's seeeeee, which drop-in is in the 6P this week?"
2am, nature calls... all is completely dark. Reach for 6P.
Click "Oh crap the monster is in that one! I'm blind. Can't see!!!" (Crashing into furniture sound follows)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use one almost everyday. You are correct. They are a great way to try out leds or tints. I suggest a Solarforce host. They are like $15 and work awesome. Also get the extra cell extension. SO, you can run 6 volt or 9 volt set ups. Make sure you have the correct voltages for the drop in, ok. The Solarforce will accept serval different battery set ups: 18650 (3.7 volts), two CR123's (6 volts), two 18350's (7 plus volts), with the cell extension three Cr123's (9 volts), three 18350s (11 plus volts)!! You are only limited by the amperage the switch can handle. So if you want a hotrod drop in running 3 cells, consider a McClicky type switch or total bypass with a Overready ZeroRes.
I suggest making sure your drop in is snug. I use copper foil, but tin foil works too. This will make sure that the heat from the LED has the best chance of transferring to the head for dissipation.
I call the P60 "future proof". I use that term loosely, but they sorta are. If you are looking at a Surefire as a host, keep in mind they don't fit the 18650 cell with out being bored out. So for the price the Solarforce is a No Brainer!

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Read on and enjoy the P60 platform. Get a Solarforce L2P host & some Solarforce drop ins to play & learn with. Then grow from there.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, it is a modular system ... and with almost infinite customization possibilities.

Parts can be exchanged in literally seconds.

ven

Flashaholic
Love them, many been doing it for years before me, so i am behind a good bit, but about as flexible as you can get! Hosts, custom hosts,bezels,bezel rings,tail caps, triples,quads, mules, reflectors smooth, orange peel, bulbs of course and how it all started! to then driver, tint and led options...............

Malkoff make an excellent daily heavy use drop in(hosts too)
This is a 3 mode and starts in low, around 350lm of 4000k neutral xp-g2 in a smooth beam for moderate reach and spill...........very nice the m361n

EDC plus neutral, again 4000k from the 3 xp-g2 leds, always starts in high

VOB xhp70 de-dome 5000k=beast

Lets get messy, hosts, cells, drop ins(p60's)

Triple nichia 219B, 4 mode, one of my fav for tint

p60vn quad 5000k xpl HI and drivervn2

Not the neatest, but when i mention about wrapping in foil, this is what i did for the CQvn, some lights dont need it, the cooly is a super perfect fit

CQvn(quad xp-g2 5000k) and sportac triple(excellent value)

I love my sportac nichia 219B 2 mode triple, 20%(160lm ish) and 100% 650lm ish OTF(out the front)

L2T stainless host with cu cryos bezel

LT2 stainless host as it is

Love the m2 for a host, this is the VOB xhp70's home

Beam pic

I have some at home and some at work, work ones are

The flood/tint just works perfect for my work

Will leave it at that for now, sure your sick of all my pics :laughing:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will likely get varying opinions.

Some like to have a small number of lights and play Lego to swap parts and pieces around.

Others buy a host for each module they acquire. That way at a glance it is more likely they'll know what to expect when the button is pressed.

Different strokes for different folks.
I chose the latter partly because I'm a collector who enjoys a variety and partly because the 70's were a lot of fun, but my memory now suffers.

"Hmmm let's seeeeee, which drop-in is in the 6P this week?"
2am, nature calls... all is completely dark. Reach for 6P.
Click "Oh crap the monster is in that one! I'm blind. Can't see!!!" (Crashing into furniture sound follows)

haha, very humorous way to demonstrate the potential issues of forgotten drop-ins! thanks...

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use one almost everyday. You are correct. They are a great way to try out leds or tints. I suggest a Solarforce host. They are like $15 and work awesome. Also get the extra cell extension. SO, you can run 6 volt or 9 volt set ups. Make sure you have the correct voltages for the drop in, ok. The Solarforce will accept serval different battery set ups: 18650 (3.7 volts), two CR123's (6 volts), two 18350's (7 plus volts), with the cell extension three Cr123's (9 volts), three 18350s (11 plus volts)!! You are only limited by the amperage the switch can handle. So if you want a hotrod drop in running 3 cells, consider a McClicky type switch or total bypass with a Overready ZeroRes.
I suggest making sure your drop in is snug. I use copper foil, but tin foil works too. This will make sure that the heat from the LED has the best chance of transferring to the head for dissipation.
I call the P60 "future proof". I use that term loosely, but they sorta are. If you are looking at a Surefire as a host, keep in mind they don't fit the 18650 cell with out being bored out. So for the price the Solarforce is a No Brainer!

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Read on and enjoy the P60 platform. Get a Solarforce L2P host & some Solarforce drop ins to play & learn with. Then grow from there.

hmm, wasn't thinking of solarforce, but you have a point about not spending too much on the hosts while experimenting with the dropins. the flexibility of the voltages is superb. where does one get a solarforce with the correct switch. I will certainly want to use multiple cells. thanks for the suggestions!

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven, I knew you were gonna chime in here. in fact, it was your prior posts of your different modules that got me thinking that would be my next light. and please don't stop posting your photos - while my wallet objects, it does keep me looking ahead!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three hosts, a Lumens Factory Seraph 6, a Surefire 6P, and a Surefire G2. I have a Lumens Factory triple-mode D26 drop in with 90+ CRI option, a LF drop in in neutral white, and a Mountain Electronics CUXM/CUXP with the Nichia 219B emitter and three mode driver. Which drop in is in which host varies.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three hosts, a Lumens Factory Seraph 6, a Surefire 6P, and a Surefire G2. I have a Lumens Factory triple-mode D26 drop in with 90+ CRI option, a LF drop in in neutral white, and a Mountain Electronics CUXM/CUXP with the Nichia 219B emitter and three mode driver. Which drop in is in which host varies.

I have a G2 Nitrolon host and I was thinking of getting a Malkoff (low) dropin, but I'm too much addicted to high-output, so the options will be limited here. Deciding on a new host now. thanks.

ven

Flashaholic
Ven, I knew you were gonna chime in here. in fact, it was your prior posts of your different modules that got me thinking that would be my next light. and please don't stop posting your photos - while my wallet objects, it does keep me looking ahead!

:thumbsup:

In short(for a change:eek:) for example take a triple, it gives a huge hot spot rather than a tight concentrated hot spot with spill(general throw type with reflector). This type can be used close up without dazzle back in the face, to a decent distance for walking the dog! It creates a nice even flood. Very useful!, quad wise is a larger hot spot and usually more output. Mule wise is no optics, so just a wide spread of light, no hot spot at all, think of holding a light bulb(yes ouch!) that kind , a little wall of light, wont reach far, but great for closer up uses. As an engineer working on machinery of different types, mules and triples are perfect, if i need to look a distance i grab a reflector based light.

Home wise i again prefer triple and/or quads for their usefulness , right now on the coffee table i have a few with me i have been using(tend to rotate or pick different to use )

Might see a pattern here

Business ends other than the 6p

All either triples or quads! Just the 6p with the malkoff drop in that has a reflector.

Night time on low modes, just gentle flood of hi cri nichia 219B or 5000k.............real easy on the eye, nice colours=happy eyes..............happy me!

Blast i said in short for a change:crazy:

Find a nice host or 3, find a few nice p60s of different types, pick the tint you like(recommend a nichia 219B in there somewhere)

I have had a couple of solarforce drop ins, they are pretty lame tbh, cheap *beep*, the xpl i have is average at best, too cold and well Callum likes it so not all lost! Some great options these days from your regular modders and places like oveready.

For me 5000k is safe and very nice, for closer up 4000-4500k is great! I dont mind 5500k or 5700k............even 6000k if no dodgy tints in there................6000k in a flood is easier than 6000k in a throw/reflector type, with the light spread out and not as concentrated, the washing out of colours is not as bad to me. Still my preference for now is 4000-5000k temps

scout24

Flashaholic
As has been said above, it is the most versatile platform out there. I keep three on my dresser- a "12P" (Fivemega body) with a P90 incan bulb and two 18650 cells, a bored C2 with an Oveready V5 triple dropin, and a G2 with a Malkoff M61NLLLL installed. The differing sizes/ materials helps counteract the situation Bykfixer describes above... :)

20160730_161829.jpg

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, so many great ideas here. it'll be simpler just buying a whole light, haha! ok, let me review some of your suggestions carefully...

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can pick up an entire Surefire 6P for less than $50. For another $25-$45 you can get it bored to fit an 18650 cell. I currently have 6 6p's and 6 Solarforce hosts with around 25 drop ins. Start small and try a few single LEDS until you have developed a preference for cool white vs neutral white. When that is decided and you know what your needs/desires are then you can try a couple "bargain" triples like the Sportac Ven showed. Then a Malkoff or two(awesome product)...by this point you have spent a couple hundred to close to a thousand dollars. Now is the time for the very best, a Vinh or VOB module that will set you back $150-$200. But it IS WELL WORTH IT!!! Now you are truly a flashaholic, CONGRATULATIONS....

ven

Flashaholic
Crazy bit eddie, the 6p and a sportac triple nichia pretty much does everything i need , its an awesome set up for the money......................just us flashaholics want more............more flavours, more output,more choices in hosts.................

A vinh quad p60vn is a must along with a VOB xhp70, amazing drop ins................

I dont have an OR triple, if i did, i am sure i would be adding that to the must list!................add it anyway :laughing: