Did I missed the ARC4x emitter revelation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I missed the ARC4x emitter revelation

Title says it all - did Peter disclose the emitters used ?

TIA

Klaus

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope...still a mystery. Peters keeping it a secret. He`s always been good at that. My guess is we will see many more from Arc...fast. And they will become the standard.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTTT - and let me put in my guess that those probably are LIIIs (as proposed a lot in the original ARC LS4 threads) - if not and with the higher current Peter mentioned the ARC4x is driven at it would really make me wonder and the use of LIIIs would even make much more sense then.

Wild calc starts here: Peter mentioned around 700ma to the LED and ~ 1A+ off the cell for premium ARC4+ - now the ARC4x at 40% more brightness and/or current to the LED - whatever precentage the 40% + is attributed to - AFAIR it was claimed that upto 1.5A would get drawn off the cell ?

So it might be well around 1A to the LED which makes me believe that Peter might not like to disclose the emitter as its looks like no win for him - if its a LIII its contradicting earlier statements and if its a 1W device people will probably question the mucho overdrive.

No matter what it is - congrats to Peter and ARC for one more time raising the bar.

Klaus

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the way peter phrased his initial post regarding the arc4x, i got the impression these were unusual LEDs he came about whilst building the arc4s, of which the source he did not want to disclose due to competitive reasons. i think that effectively rules out the luxeon III, since it isn't some hitherto unknown LED type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmh, I´m not as much interested in the SOURCE but in the type of the LED and the drive level - I would doubt that there is any totally new type of LED avaiable nobody heard of yet and Peter is using such a wild beast ......

Klaus

Jarhead

Banned
I wonder if Peter got his hands on some CREE parts.

this_is_nascar, okay, what does the emitter look like then, photos?

Also, are the runtimes any shorter with this holy-grail LED?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN - I think the beam is more a result of the reflector or optics and the 1W and 3W Luxeons don´t really have a different beam at all - so I can´t fully understand your point unless the ARC4x has a different beam than the ARC4+ - not talking about beam brightness here obviously.

Klaus

Harrkev

Enlightened
The one thing that I want to know about the Arc4x emitter is the expected availability. Will they be common in a year, or will they be rare forever?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee said he didn`t want to say where he was getting them from as other companies would view the forum...I think he was getting them from Lumileds before. Maybe its just a new "secret" grade...but seems strange Arc would be the only company informed of the new secret grade of LED. That why I considered Arc may have requsted and recieved some of the Nichia samples of the Sirius or Jupiter. Guess we will find out when he`s ready to tell us...or other companies find out on thier own and theres no point in keeping it a secret any longer.

Ken

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems TIN described the emitter to be similar - so other than Lumiled Luxeon parts or out of the game IMO - still it could be either high grade 1 or 3 Watt emitters.

Still curious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Klaus

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, its most probably some freakishly efficient and bright 1w luxeon LEDs, since TIN did state that they look identical to the LEDs in the regular arc4+. if i remember correctly, the nichia offerings look markedly different from the lumiled luxeons, so that probably rules out the nichias too.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh. Ok after re-reading TINC's words, I take it it's a LuxI, not over driven anymore than the plan arc4, but it must be a high flux out put bin... S/T/U bin!?

Status
Not open for further replies.