Mules?

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Hi all....layman here posing a possibly daft question....

A mule....(I don't mean THE mule' the glowstick and torch combo thing) torch is...as far as I can grasp...a torch with no lens? Which therefore gives out nothing but big floody gorgeousness? If this is correct and I haven't made this all up I have two questions....which again may sound silly to all of you in the know...firstly...what stops the LED getting damaged or water getting in if there is no barrier? And are these available straight from a manufacturer as a branded product or is a mule something DIY? That you have to butcher a purchased torch to do?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
a proper mule will still have a lens in front of it. mules typically are also not something found from manufacturers. the maglite would be the easiest DIY mule. simply remove the reflector. other than that mules are more of a custom thing, for example the mcgizmo mule or a mule dropin for a P60 format light.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
a proper mule will still have a lens in front of it. mules typically are also not something found from manufacturers. the maglite would be the easiest DIY mule. simply remove the reflector. other than that mules are more of a custom thing, for example the mcgizmo mule or a mule dropin for a P60 format light.
Brilliant, thanks for updating my knowledge on that...I shall look into it with both fear and excitement haha

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
The thing that's missing in a mule is the reflector, not the lens. A reflector focuses light & you don't want that on a mule.
That makes more sense....I told you I was going to ask a daft question. So basically if you remove the reflector from any torch it becomes a mule.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I just sent Vinh an email about mules, and he said they are harder/more expensive to make. Maybe that's why we don't see as many?

ven

Flashaholic
Love mules , one in work is my go to light. Wall of light , no hot spot which for my uses is perfect . Even on higher outputs the area is flooded with even light and no light bouncing back in my eyes.

scout24

Flashaholic
Oveready makes a nice Mule P60 dropon for Surefires. If you go to the McGizmo subforum, there is a lot of reading to be done and pictures to see regarding Don's Mules...

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Thanks I will have a look. Don't understand if there is a need for them why manufacturers dont make them, irrespective of cost

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think only flashaholics appreciate mules. This reminds me of when I first got into fly fishing. I would cast a rod as far as I could. In my mind, if it went far, it was good, if it didn't, it was bad. Truth is, most fly fishing is done up close. Accuracy of placement & ability to land a fly ever so gently on the water is what counts.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I think only flashaholics appreciate mules. This reminds me of when I first got into fly fishing. I would cast a rod as far as I could. In my mind, if it went far, it was good, if it didn't, it was bad. Truth is, most fly fishing is done up close. Accuracy of placement & ability to land a fly ever so gently on the water is what counts.
Nice analogy [emoji106]

MX421

Enlightened
Wall of light , no hot spot which for my uses is perfect . Even on higher outputs the area is flooded with even light and no light bouncing back in my eyes.

This is why my Zebralight H602 (basically a mule) is my favorite light. Its like having a lightbulb in my pocket that i can light up any dark area. Of course its best for close up work.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
This is why my Zebralight H602 (basically a mule) is my favorite light. Its like having a lightbulb in my pocket that i can light up any dark area. Of course its best for close up work.
No no no no...NO! I don't have the funds to keep buying these amazing torches you people keep highlighting! The h602 looks fantastic! Is it the floodiest zebralight? Right I am hotfooting it to yootoob for research.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nono, the Zebralight you want is the SC600Fd Mk III Plus. Even though it is not a flood light it is floody. Bit higher output, high CRI so things look true to life, and you will be on the cutting edge :D

MX421

Enlightened
Nono, the Zebralight you want is the SC600Fd Mk III Plus. Even though it is not a flood light it is floody. Bit higher output, high CRI so things look true to life, and you will be on the cutting edge :D

I disagree, from what i understand, that light is a reflector light with a diffused lens (frosted). 1) the frosted lens have a history of cracking (do a search on this forum) and 2) its not as floody as you point out. 3) I personally like the head lamp 90 degeree aspect. That way, you can hang it from your neck for flooding an area. For a frosted lens, i gave Armytek a try due to no reports of them cracking. Still prefer the Zebralight interface though, just wish it was as durable and waterproof.

Everyone has their preference though and if brightest is what you are after, go for it (and probably pay more if we were talking any other brand but Zebralight). There are rumors of a H603 which would most likely have the higher CRI. I would love that when/if they get to making it.

MX421

Enlightened
No no no no...NO! I don't have the funds to keep buying these amazing torches you people keep highlighting! The h602 looks fantastic! Is it the floodiest zebralight? Right I am hotfooting it to yootoob for research.

Yes, there is a thread on here that has beam shot comparisons of that, the H600F and H600 you should also check out. Another comment on the frosted H600F. You can always put tape over the lens to have the same effect (or they could make a diffuser if they wanted to cannabilize their frosted lens light sales...) which is what that thread is shooting for...