Help me build my DREAM light!!

barobbin0111

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
First post on the forum but long time lurker. I have a light the has been a dream of mine for a long time now. The main use for it would be out in the woods as a spotlight. I want to take one of my Vision x light cannons and replace the head of my Dewalt DCL040 with it. I have the light cannons set up now hardwired with just a simple 1" square tube as a handle. they work great but I am limited to the length of my power cord. My dream is to have this light set up with 1000' of usable light and rechargeable dewalt batteries as the power source. I guess my main question here is has anyone done this before or is there anyone out there that is willing to attempt this for me??
Thanks for the help,
Brad

Barobbin

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any photo sharing accounts and I don't see a way to upload one to this sight from my computer or I would post some pictures! I could email them to someone if they would be willing to post for me?
The vision x light is rated for 11-30v input. Thats why I figured this may work.
So I took the dewalt light apart and here is what I found. Battery terminal has four prongs and the battery itself has 5 slots for the prongs. I will label the slots on the battery from left to right with numbers then what it says on the battery: 1) B+ 2) TH/ID 3) C1/C2 4) C3/C4 5) B-. Number 3) C1/C2 is not used on the terminal. Wire coming from the 1) B+ battery terminal has what looks to be an inline fuse or resistor, writing on it says (T2A 250V), it then goes to the on/off switch then to the circuit board. The 5) B- battery terminal leads straight to the circuit board. There is also a yellow wire that leads from 4) C3/C4 directly to the circuit board.
Volt meter readings are as follows for combined slot #: 1&5~20v, 2&5~20v, 4&5~12.06v, 1&3~8.04v, 2&4~8.04v, 3&5~4.01
What I see from this is there are four +positive slots and one -negative. I would think the best ones to use would be 4&5 since it is 12v but I'm not sure if that is linked to all of the cells in the battery. In other words, Im not sure if I would be able to use the battery packs full capacity.

The wires leading from the circuit board to the led show ~3.5 volts on my meter. Not enough for the Vision X.
I went ahead and tried a combination last night and in my tired state of mind with a few drinks in me, It didn't go well. I didn't see that 4&5 produced 12v and I figured since the light is rated for 11-30v it would handle the 20v easily. Here is how I hooked it up. Wire from slot 1) B+ to 30A fuse to dewalt switch to vision x light. Wire from slot 5) B- directly to vision x light.
Click the switch and pop goes the fuse and I think it messed up the light itself. I took the light and tested to see if it was okay on a wiring harness for the rigid lights on my truck. Popped the 15A fuse for that wiring harness. So now either there is a short inside the scosche weatherproof plug leading to the light or even worse, there is something wrong with the light internally. I have another vision x light so I can use that one if this one is dead. For now I think I will use some cheap chinese led cubes to do my testing with. Live and learn I guess.

On a positive note, I trimmed the dewalt housing so it would fit the vision x light on it and it looks freakin' sweet with the light mounted!
So, where to go from here. My thoughts are to have the dewalt switch activate a relay that turns the light on. only problem is the relay I have from the vision x wiring harness is huge and I can't find a good place to mount it on the light.
Disclaimer: I may do some stupid things throughout this adventure. I am by no means an expert at this and I only have a general knowledge on how these things work. Please go easy on me
cool.png
beer.png

Thanks everyone,
Brad

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I don't know which light cannon you have, but that's an expensive :oops:

If you did what I think you did, the only explanation I can think of is that you wired the voltage backward. It sounds like that damaged the light, though it might be repairable.

The correct terminals to use are 1 and 5. The others are for cell balancing, pack identification, and temperature sensing. These are all used by the charger, but not during discharge.

Experimenting with cheaper lights is a good idea. But be careful you get ones with wide input voltage range. If you get bare LEDs, they will have a narrower range and will NOT work with your battery.

By the way, you don't need to use a photo sharing site. Sites like Dropbox, iDrive, etc also work. All you need is to be able to get a link to the file.