"My" Most "Fun" Light!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Ok, let me suggest some guidelines for this thread before I describe my own most fun light.

One, there are no right or wrong posts here and this is not a debate nor a contest, for example, why one light is better than another, or why what you write/post is more correct than what someone else has written.

Two, this is about the light you own that gives you, yourself the most fun, the most joy, the most pleasure. So it is subjective, and what might be your own most fun light might not very well be someone else's. And that's certainly ok, because we're just here to learn from what brings our other CPF members "fun"!

Three, your most fun light in all likelihood might not be or will not be your most 'favorite' light!

For example, your most 'favorite' light might be the one that most neatly fits in your pocket, or the one that emits the most lumens, or the one that gets you the most oohs and ahhhs from friends.

As a variation on that, your most 'useful' light might not necessarily be fun to use or the MOST fun one. So this is not a thread, per se, about your most 'favorite' light or your most 'useful' one, (although it is conceivable, for example, that your brightest light or most useful one happens to be your most funnest light, BUT you HAVE to state, as best you can, why!)

To recap: this post is about your most 'fun' light. That is, of all the lights you own, which one consistently gives you the most pleasure, the most joy, that is, the most fun, including (of course) when you use it, and please tell us WHY!

No, certainly we're not here to criticize and say, "How can you see that in that light? That's crazy".

To say something like that not only defeats this thread but is disrespectful.

So remember: simply listing your most fun light without telling us why will simply be no fun to read and will also defeat the purpose of this thread!

So in this thread we are not talking, per se, about your most favorite light, or your brightest light, or for that matter, your most useful or purposeful light UNLESS it also happens to be your most FUN light!

And be that the case (or not) this guideline is for you to tell or DESCRIBE to us readers WHY it is fun for YOU! (even if it sounds 'silly', as I'm sure my most fun light might seem to some of you-- because this is a thread whose purpose is to learn about some of your own "fun code", that is, why you or I LIKE to play with our own particular most fun light.)

True, the light you tell us about may or may not turn out to be fun for the rest of us, and nothing will be implied nor promised that you will get as much fun, for example, from my most fun light as I happen to do. This thread is not one to promote any light over the other, only to describe what makes that light the most fun for you.

But it just might turn some others on to your funnest light, or, help us understand that light in a different way and it might help us understand that which "draws" us TO lights, to USING them, and to POSTING about them at this site! (That is, to learn more about that "mysterious essence" which makes some to most of us, "flashaholics"!)

The last guideline is this one: if you have more than one funnest light and can't decide between the two, you cannot post both. Think about it some more and THEN decide which is MORE fun than the other! Then tell us ALL the reasons why that particular light is fun for YOU!

Let's put it this way: do you own any board games? If you do, you probably like them all. But which board game is the most fun for you to play and brings you the most joy?

I hope this intro thread sheds "light" on itself and turns out to be an enjoyable one.

- LetThereBeLight!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Ok, of all the lights I own, and I love them all for various reasons, this one is my most fun one...

Every time I lay eyes on it I just have to touch it-- its sleek, see-through body is just that appealing. Although it comes in most colors, the see through transparent one is elegant in its symmetry and for what it reveals.

Even when I fondle this little thing in my pocket, regardless, it always fits so neatly between my fingers, and inevitably leads me to "test" it and play with it-- however briefly-- since I might be at work or on the weekend at church.

And each and every time I see it, in addition to touching it, I just have to click it on for a few more reasons. One, the click is quite firm and two, I dare say as well, it is tactilely 'pleasurable' to turn on, off, or, to vary its brightness. The light's design never disappoints me.

A third reason I have to click it on is it's also fun to play with, and it reminds me (yes, I know I'm dating myself here) of the small transistor radio I had as a boy that took a 9-volt battery: such a small device with all these channels emitting all these stations fascinated me.

Likewise, this little light does for me what that small transistor radio did: it, too, has a very small battery and just like my childhood transistor radio had between its circuit and the speaker, this light as well has a few connecting wires to its bulb. The lumens from this tiny light has now replaced the sound from that tiny radio of long ago.

I also get pleasure from it when I am alone in a room when it's dark and absolutely no light is on to see just how much it lights up my bedroom when I turn it on turbo.

Compare to other lights, of course it's nowhere near as bright them but the fact that/how a tiny light of this diminutive, thin oblong size significantly displaces the darkness away never ceases to amaze me.

Even when I am outside walking to my car at night the lumens it emits, coming from such a much smaller body even though a heck of a lot less in comparison to my other lights, is a marvel.

And the last reason it is my most fun light is that when I give it as a gift to others, the looks on their faces when they first see it and then play with it, is almost undescribable and I marvel all over again how such a small light can give them let alone myself such joy.

My most fun light (ok, don't laugh, haha, but it's true!) is the transparent Nitecore Tube.

What's yours, and why?

- LetThereBeLight!

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
'"My'" most "Fun" light is the one recently acquired. Now that is fun. Then they pretty much become tools. Pulling out the Nitecore TM36 and Eagtac M25C turbo (?) ( the single 18650 with the huge reflector. Mine has an XPL Hi 5000K) evokes a smile because of the beam on those critters, though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great thread idea.

I have 2 that fit the most fun. Tied for first.
But I'll name my other 3 in the top 5 as well.

First would be a 2C Maglite with an ROP pelican bulb that has free breathing innerds and runs off a pair of high output unprotected 18650's. It doesn't get used often but when it lights up that 1000 lumen light bulb I giggle like a second grader who just heard the teacher burp. It turns off photo sensored street lights.

Second would be a 7 Cell Dog Supply House number from the 1960's with a ginormous mirror'd reflector. It throws the couple hundred lumens like they were shot out of a bazooka.

Next would be for similar reasons but in a smaller package. The PK FL2 LE still makes me smile when I first grip it, then pushing on the switch and throwing a beam out is cause for celebration to my eyes. The combination of big ole spot with gallons of spill make for a fun experience each time I use it.

Wasn't even dark yet.

For nostalgia I really enjoy my Franco coal miner light from about 1915.

Beautiful old relic.

I just love the dual beam it puts out.

And finally the early 1aa lights I refer to as jewel thief lights that put out around 1 candlepower. I enjoy the firefly dim aspect at 2am while wandering about my darkened household for whatever reason.

Lots of honorable mentions, but these are the ones I remember getting the most excited about each time I use them.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Bykfixer, I always enjoy your posts, and your passion-- I learn much from you.

But you broke the rules!

In so doing, I implore subsequent posters to choose just ONE light as your MOST fun light and not to rank them.

Thank you.

- LetThereBeLight!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got about a dozen various lights, and I've just ordered an EA45S. But my most fun light has to be my TM16GT. I just love the ability to 'reach out and touch someone' a thousand meters away. [I haven't actually measured it, but my TM16 claimed 700 meters, and I measured close to that, so I expect the TM16GT to behave the same.] There is just something about having that much light in my hand and only a thumb press away that is just a blast.

ven

Flashaholic
Great thread! can i not cheat it and pick one big and one small?:naughty: Trouble is, if i grin its a grin...............i might have to measure it with several lights to see which:grin2: is the widest..........

+1 mr fixers posts are always a pleasure to read:D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
'"My'" most "Fun" light is the one recently acquired. Now that is fun. Then they pretty much become tools. Pulling out the Nitecore TM36 and Eagtac M25C turbo (?) ( the single 18650 with the huge reflector. Mine has an XPL Hi 5000K) evokes a smile because of the beam on those critters, though.

This guy started it. See... there's two listed in there...

Bykfixer, I always enjoy your posts, and your passion-- I learn much from you.

But you broke the rules!

In so doing, I implore subsequent posters to choose just ONE light as your MOST fun light and not to rank them.

Thank you.

- LetThereBeLight!

Rule one says "no wrong way to post"... kinda cancels out all other rules, wouldn't ya say?

"One, there are no right or wrong posts here and this is not a debate nor a contest"

Nice try though...

You see that Ven? You can play now...

Nah, seriously LTBL, when I saw this in the LED section and my most fun uses a light bulb.... it was just a matter of how many rules I was going to break while posting my first one.
I get your point.
My ROP'd Maglite is my most fun.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well I honestly did try to pick just 1... really, I did.

But when I can make this diagram from about 2/3 of the lights in my den... it's pretty dang hard to pick just 1.

I mean if you asked me to post my most fun Streamlight...

Or one with a lanyard...

You see my dilema here?

Good thing ya didn't ask this guy to play.
There'd be Steve Giterman guts splattered all over his living room from him spontaneuosly combusting... and his wife might not like that too spoah-ty.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Too many words" as say in Russian forums. Was very hard to read that all. Why not to ask: "What light is most emotional to you?"

I would name Solarforce L2T SS host + Sportac Triple Nichia drop-ip. Because it takes effort to make it work safely.

ven

Flashaholic
"Too many words" as say in Russian forums. Was very hard to read that all. Why not to ask: "What light is most emotional to you?"

I would name Solarforce L2T SS host + Sportac Triple Nichia drop-ip. Because it takes effort to make it work safely.

Dont do this to your L2T..............requires an armed guard!

ven

Flashaholic
As with mr fixer(and sure many many of us here) i have too many lights i like/have fun with. So kind of cheating here, the light i have the most fun would have to be a p60 host of any type. Reasons...........well other than many choices of hosts, many choices of drop ins. I can have hi cri to hi flood to hi throw to hi everything(within in reason)...........

So i could post many pics, the easiest to get to is the daily used seraph Ti DHT with the nichia 219C mule p60vnT

Among other reasons...............it is on page 1 of album 3 of 4 ! :laughing:
Per pic the other reason why i like this light in short........
The wall of soft flood, no hot spot is very useful in this example, works perfect in many ways for me. Lying down on a floor or part of machinery, yet it lights up above and around where a reflector based light would bounce back off the metal, and not flood enough...........Basically it aint fussy where you shove it!!! it will light what you need it to.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is indeed a tough question. I have several candidates. For me this question is similar to "which flashlight gives me the best WOW-feeling". And high brightness is fun even if it's not necessary. For me it then will be Olight SR mini. On the 3200lm burst mode it's just amazing. The huge hotspot and so bright. While it's not a thrower the raw output makes it throw pretty far away with the hotspot brightly covering entire buildings or high trees like a circus spotlight.

tops2

Enlightened
My most fun light is my Olight S1. I love the size, weight and feel. The S1 is my fondle light. Honestly, it doesn't have the greatest tint nor highest output...but I just love the feel of it. I think I spend a lot more time holding, feeling and tossing this light in my hand than I actually use it. It's my usual pocket EDC..and during my long morning commute, more than enough times I'll pull it out and just hold it when the traffic slows to the stop and go.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light of mine that gives me the most satisfaction is my Surefire Z2, the reason is because it is the one that I have modified myself the most.

I initially fitted a Surefire Z59 tailcap switch, which has picked up a few dings over the years so I'm on the look out for a new one.

I then bored it using the 'sandpaper on drill bit' method so it would accept a 18650 battery.

I then built my own drop-in for it using a Cree XM-L2 U2 LED on a copper PCB, so it now has up to 1000 lumens.

Having dropped it over the years the head was dented so I sourced a new one and have now fitted it with a Xeno RG03 Black Bezel.

If I ever want to go back to CR123's I have an Olight battery magazine that stops the rattles.

Given the availability of P60 drop-in's then this light should be able to stay in service for many years to come.

I have put more time and effort into this light than any other I own and it feels right in the hand!

Picture%20439_zpspkwpjpcd.jpg

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Well I honestly did try to pick just 1... really, I did.

But when I can make this diagram from about 2/3 of the lights in my den... it's pretty dang hard to pick just 1.

I mean if you asked me to post my most fun Streamlight...

Or one with a lanyard...

You see my dilema here?

Good thing ya didn't ask this guy to play.
There'd be Steve Giterman guts splattered all over his living room from him spontaneuosly combusting... and his wife might not like that too spoah-ty.

Mr. Fixer,

Hands down, your post wins the GOLD for the most CREATIVE post of 2016!

(I think we will stop taking 'entries' in that formerly unannounced category at this point, but not with this thread: 'your most Fun light.) :cool:

Like Mr. Vinh, Mr. Ven, and a few others here, you, like them, are amazing!

Can I play with your "bike"?

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Ok, Mr. Fixer, I just HAD to take a pic of the "light bike", I had to let you know that.

Good thing we aren't neighbors or I'd never get any work done!

Thank you, good sir (one of my most fun posters) for making my day.