Review: Manker E14 - 4xNichia version

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Manker E14 from Tmart.com for the review, courtesy of Ray.
Purchase link - Coupon code: E14
I should receive the light a few weeks from its launch on the market, but the package was lost on its way, then it was sold out… Finally is here and I can review it.

Manker's specs for the E14
Emitter Type: 4x Cree XP-G3 / 4x NICHIA 219B LED
Circuit Driver: A17DD-L FET + 1 Driver
Light Tint: XPG3 (6500K), 219B (5000K)
Material: Aero grade aluminum alloy & copper
Mode:
- Group 1: Moon - Low - Med1 - Med2 - High1 - High2 - Turbo (Short press < 0.5s)
- Group 2: Low, Med, High,Turbo (Short press<0.5s) + Moon - Turbo - Tactical Strobe-Battery check - Bike Flasher (Medium press 0.5s-1.5s)
Battery Configurations: 1 x 18350/16340 battery ( Package NOT Battery)
Switch Type: Click Switch
Switch Location: Tail of the flashlight
Impact Resistant : 1 meter
Max Output: 1600lumens (max)/Cree XPG3 LED; 1400lumens(max)/NICHIA 219B LED
Working Voltage: 2.8 - 4.35v
Lens: TIR
Waterproof: IPX-8 waterproof 2 meters
Weight: 90g without battery
Size: 80mm x 24mm(length x body diameter)
Special-edition with a direct-drive FET, so it has the brightest turbo mode you can get.
- special-edition with a regulated lower-power second channel for stable and efficient low modes.
- True moon mode.
- Up to 1600 lumens (Max.) / CREE XPG3 LED; 1400 lumens (Max.) / NICHIA 219B LED.
- User-toggle-able mode memory.
- User-toggle-able mode groups.
- Well-spaced visually-linear output modes.
- Includes some hidden modes for those who want them.
- Battery check mode.
- Clicky-switch stock light with both forward and backward mode navigation in a single tap (short/medium press).
- With mode memory off, the user can access 4 different modes (including the highest and lowest) within 1 second.
- Fast PWM so the pulsing won't be visible.
- The firmware and the driver designs are available for anyone who wants to modify them

The E14 comes in this simple box. I asked and got the Nichia neutral white version, note that there is also available an XP-G3 cool white version.

The light comes without the clip mounted, I have mounted the clip before taking the pics. In the box you'll find the light, clip, lanyard, spare o-rings, spare tailcap boot and manual.

With this light you'll need for sure a manual.
Flowchart_zps5rhpow9u.png

Let's look at the light now.

AR Glass on top of the optic for the 4 LEDs

The light has a distinctive look, with black anodization and a copper head. This helps also the heat dissipation, because this light has a great output and a small size (80x24mm) but it is not the lightest light (due to the copper part).

The other side of the head
DSCN3019_zpsfopqqg83.jpg

At the tailcap there are 2 golden coiled springs.

If you noticed, there is no o-ring on one side of the body. It arrived broken and I had not replaced it yet when I took the pics.

The clip is really good, it has an invitation for better flowing the clothes, allows for deep carry even for thick clothes.

The tailcap allows tailstand, and has 2 lanyard holes. The mechanical switch at the head is very sensitive. Once you turn on the light, you'll need a very light touch to produce the tap, a brief half pressure that is needed to move through levels.

Other pics
DSCN2980_zpsgiw4zmbf.jpg

Took apart

UI
Oh my, where do I start?
Ok, this light has an interface that is customizable, it means that you can set the number of modes between 7 (moonlight, low, med1, med2, high1, high2, turbo + special modes) or 4 (low, med, high, turbo).
Special modes are: strobe, battery check, bike flash (2 rapid flash in loop, then the light stays on for a second then 2 rapid flashes, in loop). To advance in the modes you have to make a quick press, to retrocede in the modes you have to make a longer press.
Memory mode can be activated or deactivated (the light will start at moonlight or low mode).
The light comes pre-set with 7 modes and memory mode off.
To change the settings, you have to operate the switch as indicated in the manual.

Beamshot at 0.5 meters from the wall
I have made beamshots versus a really warm and a really cool white light, because if I posted just a single comparison the E14 would appear very warm (against a cool white light) or very cool (against a warm white light). As comparison I have used the Manker MK34 XP-G3 Cool white version at mid2 mode (which according to my measurements is around 1300 lumens), and a Armytek Wizard Pro Warm HICRI XM-L2 at turbo mode.
As said before, do not use beamshot to measure the brightness of different lights.
There are countless factors that make beamshots mainly useful only to compare difference in brightness and tint.

The E14 Nichia version I got has a very pleasant warm sided neutral white (around 4000-4500K). I have seen Nichia 219b emitters much with much cooler tint, around 5000K (which to my eyes is almost cool white), and I am happy with the emitter choice on my E14.
When using the light at close distances, for example around the house, the spots practically disappears even within few meters. This light can't throw and it is obviously made for close distances.

Output and runtime
They have been tested using Efest 18350 IMR batteries. With this light, IMR batteries are mandatory. You can also use 16340 IMR, but remember that the runtime will be even more shortened.

Sampling time is every 2 for levels 7,6,5,4, and every 90 for level 3.
Oh, and before you ask… Yes, a small light that discharges an 18350 700mAh battery in 10 minutes gets very hot.

At the end of the runtime tests the batteries were always above the minimum discharge voltage.

My thoughts
On the E14 the fit and finishes are good. There are some minor signs of manufacturing on the inside of tailcap, but I don't consider them relevant.
I like the design on this light. It appeals to the eye and is useful managing to improve heat dissipation. The tradeoff is an increase of the weight.
The UI has some personalization options, and allows to pass through the levels decreasing or increasing the brightness, as the user wants. However, it lacks direct access to minimum and maximum output, which I like.
The 7 levels are well spaced, the strobe and other functions are hidden; I like the bike flash locator. I'll trade any SOS mode for this flash.
Passing throught the 7 levels can be done very easily and quickly thanks to the high sensitive switch.
I'm sure someone will complain about the heat coming from the light, or the short runtimes.
Well, with such a small light, you have to be happy it becomes hot: it is a sign of good heath dissipation. If a light doesn't get hot, means that it is not dissipating heat efficiently, and you are overheating what's inside.
For the runtime, no magic can be done here. This is a small light and can run only small batteries, thus the relative short runtime at high output modes.
Manker has made an 18650 body that you can use for running the E14 with 18650 batteries. I currently don't have it. I will update my review with the runtime data if and when I get one of these.

If you look for a EDC light that packs a lot of lumens, has a beam for close distances and good levels spacing, and you dig the interface, this ligth should fit your needs.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera and the luxmeter.

EDIT:
I have always said that a sheath makes a light better usable because it increases the chance to carry it.

I had this Sunwayman holster around, that I used for the T01.
DSCN2974_zpsxzlwst0w.jpg

DSCN2975_zpstnqscnwf.jpg

DSCN2976_zps9lmkvztk.jpg

DSCN2978_zpsnt0kkctx.jpg

Works fine for me!

Update:
EDIT: I asked Manker for the extention tube for the 18650 cells and I got it.
The copper with a protective layer of the E14 hold up really well. There's a small area with same darker mark, probably where the clip rests on the head in the 18350 configuration.
The light becomes longer and heavier, however, compared to the shorter 18350 configuration, it is more balanced regarding the weight.

I re-tested the output with the 18650 LG MJ1 battery.

In the 18650 the runtime is longer and the light offers reasonable runtime at high outputs, compared to the short runtimes of the 18350 cell.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Manker E14 - 4xNichia version FOR SUBMISSION IN THE REVIEW FORUM

I really like my E14. I've got an 18650 tube for it, but I like it so much with the short tube, and I already have a million 18650 lights, I've not tried it yet.

Good choice for pocket knife, but you probably have many others.

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened

it was on the table so I put it in the pics :)

Budda

Enlightened

I have always said that a sheath makes a light better usable because it increases the chance to carry it.

I had this Sunwayman holster around, that I used for the T01.
DSCN2974_zpsxzlwst0w.jpg

DSCN2975_zpstnqscnwf.jpg

DSCN2976_zps9lmkvztk.jpg

DSCN2978_zpsnt0kkctx.jpg

Works fine for me!

Last edited:

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened

Switching to mode group 2 was a bit frustrating. It took me a few times to finally set it. The trick is to click between the first set of double flashes. To help get into programming mode I pointed the front end towards my computer's blacked out screen so I can see it entering programming mode. It's like 15+ clicks. 1,2,3,4,5.. 1,2,3,4,5.. 1,2,3,4,5.. quick pause.. then click right away after the first double flash set. If it's not precise then start over! lol

Other than that I love the flood this little light outputs. I also ordered the extension tube for this.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome:)
buy one:)
DSC_0499_zpskg1qrbjf.jpg

And dont forget to buy the 18650 tube.
DSC_0513_edited_zpsvi3chxvh.jpg

Im very happy with mine.

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
It's a very nice light, a great value. I've just got the standard black version with 18650 tube. Seems to be well worth the money so far.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is also the standard, alu, black version. But dropped it from a boat down on concrete. Had to remove the dings and scratces. So ended up removing all the ano + rubbing/polish.

Budda

Enlightened
EDIT: I asked Manker for the extention tube for the 18650 cells and I got it.
The copper with a protective layer of the E14 hold up really well. There's a small area with same darker mark, probably where the clip rests on the head in the 18350 configuration.
The light becomes longer and heavier, however, compared to the shorter 18350 configuration, it is more balanced regarding the weight.

I re-tested the output with the 18650 LG MJ1 battery.

In the 18650 the runtime is longer and the light offers reasonable runtime at high outputs, compared to the short runtimes of the 18350 cell.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Great stuff. Could you venture a guess about the runtimes on moon and low mode with an 18350 battery? Are both of those modes current regulated?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont know about the largest ones, but have no problems with my longest protected 18650 cell. redylast 3100 mAh, fits right in.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I love mine as well. I use The short tube for general use and the long tube with a high drain 18650 during the hunting season primarily for blood trailing and other general use. High CRI is important for blood trailing. I carry it in an older Fenix P2D lens down and it is a good fit.

If I ever have a problem with the LEDs I will upgrade them to the new 219c's. But until then I have no need to touch it. It is perfect right out of the box for my needs.

Bob

recDNA

Flashaholic
I find the 18350 version too heavy to carry so may as well put an 18650 in there. I'll have to send away for an 18650 tube. I once tried to trade my 3 x 219a version and nobody wanted it. Not even a nibble. I get it though. So cheap people prefer to just buy a new one.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
I have the stainless version, but aluminum 18650 tube. I think the tubes are of similar (if not the aluminum actually being a bit lighter) weight, which I love, and the added heatsinking is nice too.

I wish the aluminum had the super aggressive knurling of the rest of my (colored) ss pieces, and while it would likely be unfriendly to pockets and really not necessary (smooth lights work equally well for me) I just like the rough feel.

I baked the al tube which was black into a brown not too dissimilar to the copper, so it would blend better. I like it.

The 219bs are great, and when I first showed my dad, all he said was "wha! like a car headlight!" Which is high praise from him. (And myself honestly, we both prefer incandescent and only like halogen headlights) But the 219's just put him in awe.

My only multi-emitter light, and golly I gotta say, it's not left my side since I got it, which says a lot! I feed it 30Q's so it won't leave me :) though I have used my AW imr16340 from my sc32w and it was still amazingly bright (can't exactly compare) with a full charge, so I imagine 18350 would be even better.