Arc4 Drop Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
arc4droptest1.jpg

arc4droptest2.jpg

The test included drops head down and head up 8ft onto a hardwood floor and random drops 18-20 feet outside on the aspalt road. Both tests were done 6 or more times. The headup/down test is possbile because the CG of the Arc4 is just about in the center of the light (it is a nicely balanced light with the stock 123 pack- imagine that).

At some point, the switch stopped working so the light went into failsafe mode and kept working. In failsafe, the switch is assumed to be inoperative so the light is turned on and off by twisting the pack. It will come on at the secondary level only.

Also, the battery was damaged enough that it no longer would make contact. This can be remedied in an emergency by adding a coin, piece of bubblegum wrapper foil or some other McGyver item to add some extra length to the battery.

The light was still waterproof (tested in 1 foot of water after the drop tests) and could also be reprogrammed if needed.

The point of this test is to show that the light can take quite a beating and still operate well enough to get you back home.

Btw, this test also shows why we use Lexan (polycarbonate) lenses instead of glass. The Lexan is able to flex under pressure instead of cracking as easily as glass. If the unit above had a glass lens, it would have cracked, possibly damaged the reflector and no longer would have waterproof.

This light will be on display at the SS next week.

Peter

jtice

Flashaholic
Thats one beat up, mis treated, dinged, scratched, busted up, STILL WORKING light!

Nice work Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

sublinear

Newly Enlightened
Cool!

Maybe a new SKU has been born?

"ARC Thirds: These units have undergone additional in-house testing. Guaranteed to function, but cosmetic defects may be present"

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow!
Even the arc AAA i gave my lil' sis doesn't look that bad.
And it still works!
Dang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
JT, the bad news is that that's the one you just got shipping confirmation on!

jtice

Flashaholic
LOL thats not funny.

Actually, I really wouldnt mind having that one!!!
,,, but not for $180 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

geez, I hope mine doesnt look like that after a few months.

I will say this,,, I USE my lights, yes I collect them, but they get USED.

I think thats the way Peter would want it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
ROTFL! I'd love to see almost any other light even function after that beating! Anyone care to try? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Peter, How about a contest - "The Arc Challenge"

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
I threw a minimag outside my window (2nd storey, about 22 feet to concrete) and it didn't work at all. The bi-pin lamp was completely destroyed and the plastic reflector deformed. Put the spare bulb in and still didn't work. Batteries damaged. New batteries produced light but such a horrid beam. Turns out the spare bulb's filament was bent like a pretzel.

I was actually serious about a repair!

The switch is non functional, so if my light was in this condition, what would it cost to repair it to a functional condition?

I'm not talking about restoration to new condition! That's just silly especially if given the use (abuse) that caused the condition in the first place.

Cheers!

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

Better label that light extra well at the Shot Show so no one thinks it's a demonstration of your new "No More Cosmetics Guarantees" policy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I LOVE IT! 20 feet onto asphalt, half a dozen times, still working, now THAT is impressive. THIS is why I think Arc flashlights are a flat out stone cold bargain! A bargain I tell you! What other light could take that? I wonder how the SF L4/5/6 would fare? This is just great. It is a serious comfort to know that if I drop my light onto concrete from a story up that it will still be functional. Not *cough* cosmetically perfect, mind you, but good enough even for someone like McGyver who always seems to be in harms way. I am glad that this is the sort of thing that Arc is making a priority, and I'm sure it had to be designed in from the ground up to be able to take these sorts of shocks. No velvet encased collectors light for me, thank you, I want a work horse.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to receive the drop tested light when I place my order for a new Arc 4 or 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd like to be the one to ding it up. But it's great to know that Arc goes over the top in testing its lights, e.g. microwaving them to test EMP resistance. LOL! Awesome. Ok, I'll stop now. Sorry </RANT>

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
lambo said:
Peter,

Better label that light extra well at the Shot Show so no one thinks it's a demonstration of your new "No More Cosmetics Guarantees" policy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stop laughing.

paulr

Flashaholic
My Photon II could probably survive that test, but somehow I don't think it matches the Arc4 in other areas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will that be one of the seconds for $100 this weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Actually, if you replace the switch I might take it. Good to know the fail-safe works.

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sharkeeper said:
I threw a minimag outside my window (2nd storey, about 22 feet to concrete) and it didn't work at all. (...) New batteries produced light but such a horrid beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad got a minimag (behind my back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and it has such a horrid beam brand new. What did you expect? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
can it still be bounced off a carpeted floor without incident like the arc LS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.