Lumen on Nitecore SRT3 Defender?

seantik

Newly Enlightened
Hi forum

I recently bought af Sunwayman F30R. I pretty happy with the flashlight in general but I think that the function I need has to much lumen (red light and firefly/moonlight).

I'm very close to place an order for a Nitecore SRT3 Defender. I love the size and design. Most importantly it has both a red led and a low firefly/moonlight - at least the specs says.

How low is the firefly/moonlight actually - has anyone done some measurements?

How low is the red light - the specs doesn't say anything about it.

As a naval officer working on the bridge and Ops room I need both low white and red light for protecting my night vision - and my fellow sailors vision as well :)

/seantik

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the SRT3 may be a near 5 year old design now along with the rest of the SRT line but the SRT line sells out so why change anything? My SRT3 with a freshly charged 840mah Orbtronic 14500 I would guesstimate is putting just over 500 lumens out the front. The control ring is still great. The red and blue secondaries are still just about worthless though. The other features like having ring access to strobe etc is still very nice. The lowest the ring actually takes you is I believe one and a half lumens. I just go off of Selfbuilts reviews they are pretty reliable and thus far have been quite accurate when I compare my own lights to his results of the same models. Oh the red is LOW alright a bit to low to really even be useful really. Guess you would have to try one for yourself. Aside from that the rest of the light is surprisingly nice and well built. So now I have the SRT3, 6 and 7. The control rings on these 3 lights are still the best control rings I have used on any light featuring a control ring UI.

ncgrass

Enlightened
The red light is near useless unless you're about 5 inches away from what you're looking at. I find it helpful for photography myself... The lowest 'normal' isnt too bad. If it's absolutely pitch black it does appear rather bright however

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have the SRT3, the SRT7, and CR6 "chameleon". If you need something with red, these would be the three to look at.

The SRT3 is among my favorite lights. I love the battery flexibility. While Nitecore does not advertise it, the best performance is with a 14500 and the AA battery extender installed. I don't have the means of measuring it, but I would guess the lowest setting is about 1 lumen. With a 14500 it easily exceeds 500. The beam is not a pure flood light, but it favors the floody side of the scale. As for the red, it not the greatest. It is usable for reading books and charts, but not for any distance.

The SRT7 is considerably bigger but has a brighter and longer throwing beam. It will get down to about 1 lumen as well. The high side is advertised at 900 lumens. I would say it gets close. Like the SRT3 The red is fixed at a single brightness. But it is considerably brighter and more usable at a distance.

The CR6 does not have an adjustable ring like the SRT series. Instead it steps from low to high in 4 increments. Low is about 2 lumens and high is advertised around 450. While that spec is not overly impressive, it is a good thrower and the beam is very usable. Unlike the SRT series, in red mode, the brightness is adjustable. The red beam is good quality and it throws a good distance as well.

Yes, the variable ring is the easiest to use, but once you get used to the CR6, it becomes second nature.

Good luck