Arc4 tail standing guard mod

McGizmo

Flashaholic
With the intent of machining a titanium replacement tail cap for the Arc 4, I took some measurements and evaluated the required function of the switch assembly. As a result, I found a spare dive mask strap instead and proceded to fabricate a part entirely different from what I had intended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tail-stand-anti-roll.jpg

The result was a light that is .250" shorter, will stand on its tail and the switch is guarded. I even have a window view! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

details.jpg

MORE INFO: CLICK HERE

OK, I'll do it myself..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. Like the button setup. Didn't think there was enough room for that.

paulr

Flashaholic
Don, that's great, truly thinking outside the box. I like it a lot. I've been wanting the new tailcap/stand that Peter has in the works, but this mod is maybe even better. I might try setting up my Arc4+ second that way when it arrives.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Don!
The tailswitch design of the ARC4 should allow for a pretty wide array of mods. I shoulda guessed you'd be the first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, great Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

loves the look of the circuit there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
WOW, the ingenuity & innovation that continues to erupt from the CPF members is truly one of the benefits of belonging! Don, once again you are certainly one of the "CPF ThinkTank"!!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Before everyone makes a run on their local dive shop, check McMaster cat# 86915K16 (1/16" clear silicone rubber sheet.) Only prob is you have to buy 1 sq ft min (~$25). Now, since Don already has the punch........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Very clever! Did this mod change how easy(or not) it is to activate the light?
and do you think the light is any less water resistant?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Likebright,

Yes, I cut a circle out of a spare clear silicone mask strap, you can see the hole in the strap in the forefround of the one image.

Chiaroscuro,

The light requires more force now, I believe to activate the switch as you don't have the stock tail spring working with you in overcoming the force of the switch spring in the head. The switch works well, as is, in this mod but I think using momemtary for any length of time would become very tedious. Frankly, I think the pressure required is too much anyway but with an exposed tail switch, this is necessary, me thinks.

Had the initial design been with a guarded plan, it might have been nice to have a very low pressure switch. The switch mechanisim is very clever in design and function and in a way, I think it's a shame that from outward appearances, the light just hosts another mechanical switch. As far as water resistance goes, If I load the battery from the front end and then close down the light, the internal pressure causes the silicone window to bulge out in a bubble. I need to "crack" the seal on the rear cap and relieve this pressure and then retighten it. I would state that the water resistance is just fine. Heck, it's a part from a dive mask, afterall! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I don't know about pressure on the light in actual diving but I think using this light for diving is pretty stupid anyway, no offense. At some depth, the switch will engage due to the pressure on it and unscrewing the head for a lock out seems cumbersome given the nature of the light and its behavior as if a new battery is installed everytime you go to "twist" it on. There may be some advanced mode that takes care of this issue but I haven't become a master Arc4 operator so I am ignorant, at best.

I will state that in this mode, it is highly unlikely that the light would be accidentally activated.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Thanks for answering my ?'s McGizmo. Maybe some future modder could come up w/ a pure electronic switch for this light --a resistance switch? But that's something for another thread.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Very clever way to make this light even more compact.

Britt

cy

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks,
CY