Surefire M3 CombatLight LED Conversion?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Hi All,

This was gifted to me by a friend. Not certain what head this is. I know they were sold with a two or three different kinds.

Surefire_M3_CombatLight.jpg

From what I've found it'll be either 125 or 225 lumens, with a runtime of 60 and 20 minutes, respectively. It sure does throw! Out-throws everything else I have. But, even at 60 minutes: Three CR123s at a pop can get pretty spendy at that rate.

I think I'd like a drop-in LED replacement tower for the Hi-Pressure Xenon/Halogen tower that's in there. Don't need more light. Don't need more throw. Not too concerned about the colour temp (though I do like the stock emitter's temp), but, would like to retain pretty much the throw and spill it has. I'm definitely not interesting in modding this light seven ways from Sunday. I like it just the way it is--except the runtime.

About a year ago, member Rustpot asked about Updating a Surefire M3T?. From a cursory examination, it looks like the Lumens Factory M3T-LED Single Mode LED Assembly, New XP-L, W2 he found would be a drop-in replacement, but, the remainder of the thread seemed unclear, and I'm not certain we even have the same lights.

Guidance, please?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
If doing your upgrade on a budget look no further than Lumens Factory. Mark has several towers that will work as direct replacements to your MN10 or MN11 your using now. BTW that's a very nice condition early head on that M3 of yours. Typically a M3T indicates its a turbo head (KT4). A LED for a KT4 will NOT work in the Z46 since the dimensions are way different.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always use 2x17500. Then no money on primaries and you get to keep the throw and tint of the light. Remember the reflector is designed for an Incan bulb. If you really want to go led like m4 mentioned but look at the mini turbo head for it. It comes with its own reflector and much better heatsinking than a tower module

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went through a similar exercise with my M4 and here is what you want. The lumens factory non turbo M3 module and two xx500 cells. The mentioned 17500 will work but you could also use 14500 with paper wrapped around them as they are skinnier but the length is right.

The M4 is different as it is longer so it takes xx650 cells not xx500 and has a different head, the turbo, the principal is the same. I know have my Incan in storage as these are expensive as well, at least the branded ones and since I don't need the light for combat conditions or arctic weather the li-ions are far cheaper to run.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
If doing your upgrade on a budget look no further than Lumens Factory. Mark has several towers that will work as direct replacements to your MN10 or MN11 your using now. BTW that's a very nice condition early head on that M3 of yours. Typically a M3T indicates its a turbo head (KT4). A LED for a KT4 will NOT work in the Z46 since the dimensions are way different.
Noticed that, after WOL's post, below. Thanks!

You could always use 2x17500. Then no money on primaries and you get to keep the throw and tint of the light. Remember the reflector is designed for an Incan bulb. If you really want to go led like m4 mentioned but look at the mini turbo head for it. It comes with its own reflector and much better heatsinking than a tower module
Hmmm... I do have an IntelliCharger i2...

You cluld use this:
http://www.lumensfactory.com/mini_turbo_head_product.php?id=313&cid=11&sid=9

From what I know there are no cheaper versions. Malkoff used ho have an MD10 tower module, but this is not available anymore since ~2 years.
Thanks, WOL! I think that LumensFactory upgrade is probably what I want. I'll look to see if I can find reviews of it, anywhere. Like I said: Want to preserve, as closely as possible, the stock throw and spill, and I know that's tricky to do on such an upgrade.

I went through a similar exercise with my M4 and here is what you want. The lumens factory non turbo M3 module and two xx500 cells. The mentioned 17500 will work but you could also use 14500 with paper wrapped around them as they are skinnier but the length is right.
Thanks, staticx57. I think that LF module and a couple pair of 17500s is just what I'll end up using.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, WOL! I think that LumensFactory upgrade is probably what I want. I'll look to see if I can find reviews of it, anywhere. Like I said: Want to preserve, as closely as possible, the stock throw and spill, and I know that's tricky to do on such an upgrade.
Unfortunately I do not own the LumensFactory version, I hve a couple of Malkoff MD10 (and MD60 also). But I assume the beam of the LumensFactory LED tower will be fine. The beam of the Malkoff tower module is perfect and I don't think LumensFactory did a bad job.

If you really want the old stock throw and spill with the warm Xenon light I can also recommend this here:

http://tadcustoms.com/M3-bi-pin-socket.htm

I have this Bi Pin Socket with the A7212 - 200 lumens bulb and the beam is perfect. There is no beam difference between the original Surefire MN dropin and the Tad Customs version. The only difference is the surefire replacement bulbs are now harder to find and not really cheap. If you want an onlschool illumination buy this Bi Pin socket :D

Latest posts