Mag D Cell Noob Questions

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm a total noob to flashlight modding but I want to rebuild an old 3 D Cell Maglite I have. I have already converted in to a TerraLux LED and I want to upgrade the reflector and glass as well. I have seen a ton of different aluminum reflectors and I'm not sure which will fit or work best. I red the reflector shoot out on here but what I guess I'm finding is most are 52 mm x XX mm and I'm not sure what second measurement I need to fit over this LED and throw a good amount of light. I'm not an expert but I do want something that does away with the "hole" in the middle of the stock beam and something aluminum as the plastic ones seem to dry out after a few years. Thanks guys!!!!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Most drop-ins for Mags are quite old and aren't nearly as bright as current, cheaper Mag LED models; you're better off using a drop-in that improves the design of the flashlight as a whole - check out Malkoff.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most drop-ins for Mags are quite old and aren't nearly as bright as current, cheaper Mag LED models; you're better off using a drop-in that improves the design of the flashlight as a whole - check out Malkoff.

Thanks, I like the Malkoff LEDs a lot. It does say on their site that the reflector has to be trimmed to fit though. So, I guess if I were to order a KAI Domain aluminum reflector or something like that will they work together? It looks like the KAI Reflectors will only fit a stock type setup. Also I don't understand the difference between say a 28 mm opening and a 15 mm opening. Also, what do they mean by cammed vs. camless, Both look identical to me.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Thanks, I like the Malkoff LEDs a lot. It does say on their site that the reflector has to be trimmed to fit though. So, I guess if I were to order a KAI Domain aluminum reflector or something like that will they work together? It looks like the KAI Reflectors will only fit a stock type setup. Also I don't understand the difference between say a 28 mm opening and a 15 mm opening. Also, what do they mean by cammed vs. camless, Both look identical to me.

Cammed means the reflector base cylinder has an uneven diagonal cut, which the stock Mag reflector has; the Malkoff drop-in requires a camless reflector with no more than 1/8" of base cylinder, so you either saw/Dremel the reflector you have, or you can buy a pre-cut reflector there on the site.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cammed means the reflector base cylinder has an uneven diagonal cut, which the stock Mag reflector has; the Malkoff drop-in requires a camless reflector with no more than 1/8" of base cylinder, so you either saw/Dremel the reflector you have, or you can buy a pre-cut reflector there on the site.

Awesome, thanks. It looks like most of the KAI Reflectors have a removable cam. Would something like that work with the Malkoff LED?