coast HP17 - are they 615 or 970 lumens?!

ross46

Newly Enlightened
Hi there

Been a member a while but only posted once i think. (need to more!). Either way, i am looking at purchasing a coast hp17 as they seem to be better than the offerings by maglite and LED lenser for the price. Now i know that for a bit more you can get a brighter light, but i just can't afford it as a student. I also know that you can get the same brightness in a smaller torch. However i am after a light that lasts a while rather than having to change batteries a lot if i'm out. Also i want a big heavy torch, like the big maglites or this coast torch as it's for my mother in case the loony ex boyfriend tries anything so she can use it to defend herself (think what you will).

Down to my question. I have been surfing the net trying to find one at a good price, however i keep coming across ones at good prices that say 615 lumens rather than the 970 spec on torch direct. Is this a mistake? weird marketing thing? old spec? I've even had a site saying 970 lumens which then redirects to a 615 lumen one on amazon?! if i buy one on amazon that says 615 lumens will it actually be 970 or is that an old model?

Another quick question. Am i better off getting an incandesant maglite off ebay and modifying it using the drop in 1000 lumen LED kits or a custom mod myself? thanks all