Which custom should I buy?

Jbraman

Newly Enlightened
I'm at the point now where I want a chunky ti or copper custom. I like the ribbed "light saber " ish look so I'm leaning toward a McGizmo Haiku. I love them all though so..... I've seen a lot but is there anything I HAVE to look at that I'm missing out on? Trying to stay in the ~$500 range. Cell usage isn't important. I'll buy whatever cells I need. I'd like a triple emitter. This is for show and some rare edc so I don't give two craps about weight.

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
+1. Recently got my Tana Tripled Haiku head back which is fantastic but over your budget depending on options. However...
I also his "pill" for my Sundrop head & it is awesome. I had him install the same XPL-Hi 4000K thats in the OR Boss.
You can purchase a New Haiku without a LE from Don for 335.00 The Tana pill was under 100.00 Its also programmable
by you if you decide to change modes/memory.

Hmmm, You should check the Oveready BOSS while you're at it.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If light-sabery design is your primary goal then the Haiku is hard to beat. And its a great light too. But if you're a fan of big lumens (and it seems you may be since you want a triple), they're not very bright lights. Very functional, useful beams - but not the sort of beam that's going to impress your friends. Still, it deserves consideration.

But since everyone else has already covered that and you said "chunky ti or copper", that immediately makes me think of Sinner. His lights are definitely not slim little things. He's the only (afaik) semi-custom maker working right now who isn't using a McClicky and his choice of Omten reverse clicky in the tail requires some more depth back there, giving his lights a very distinctive shape. Plus they're triples "out of the box" and much easier to mod yourself than something like the McGizmo.

Here's my copper Sinner, if you want to see what I'm talking about:

Fresh from the package:
Nuwl4Os.jpg

After a bit of carry:
Xgswz43.jpg

uA2QSmd.jpg

And my lighted orange boot, just because... :)
gpANmgq.jpg

Unfortunately they're perpetually sold out, like many of the semi-customs. You'll have to hunt and beg for one, or wait and dream until the next drop like I did.

That's just one idea. Okluma's are awesome as well. So are Sigmas. And any of these can be had for around your budget, if you can find one for sale.

nbp

Flashaholic
Cannot go wrong with anything McGizmo.

If you're set on a triple, I also highly recommend the Okluma TinyDC.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still get the Sinners on Urban EDC Supply I think, btw. The Coppers might be sold out, but they definitely had titanium last I checked. I really wish he still made the Aluminum ones...

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
One advantage to a McGizmo is they are readily available & Don is very fast to deliver. I cannot think
of any other custom/semi that you could have in couple days or thereabouts.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
+1. Recently got my Tana Tripled Haiku head back which is fantastic but over your budget depending on options. However...
I also his "pill" for my Sundrop head & it is awesome. I had him install the same XPL-Hi 4000K thats in the OR Boss.
You can purchase a New Haiku without a LE from Don for 335.00 The Tana pill was under 100.00 Its also programmable
by you if you decide to change modes/memory.

Hmmm, You should check the Oveready BOSS while you're at it.

I was going to recommend a Haiku, Until I saw this thing!!! Im so freakin in love with this light. I just came back to the forum after a 1 year haiatus, to discover Tana is doing these now!!
I have to get one for myself now. I think the haiku is just one of those lights< you have to hold for yourself. when i first saw it 5 years ago, I didnt care too much for the design. But these days, its
among my top 5, and i own two, in 2 finishes and emitters.

You cant go wrong with anything McGizmo as was stated above.

Nick