Review: ThorFire VG10 XM-L2 847 Lumen 1x18650/2xCR123

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Review: ThorFire VG10 XM-L2 847 Lumen 1x18650/2xCR123

Disclaimer: I purchased this flashlight with my own hard-earned money. I am in no way affiliated with ThorFire or any other company or retailer, and am not receiving any sort of compensation for this review…I am just another flashaholic. Enjoy!

Overview

Product name: ThorFire VG10
Emitter type: XM-L2
Emitter tint: Cool white
Material: HAIII Anodized aircraft quality aluminum
Switch: Tail cap forward clicky
Lens: Anti-Reflective coated glass
Max output: 847 Lumens
Modes: Moonlight, Low, Mid, High
Output: 0.2L, 30L, 300L, 847L
Battery: 1x18650/2xCR123
Reflector: Smooth aluminum
Waterproof: IPX-8 rated
Weight: 4.39oz empty, 6.13oz with ThorFire 3000mah 18650
Size: approx. 5.28''(Length) * 1''(Body Diameter) * 1.28''(Head Diameter).
Special features: Momentary on, Mode memory, reverse polarity protection, low battery warning

ThorFire has been offering up some very nice looking flashlights at affordable prices recently. I seized the opportunity to buy the VG10 when a sale was offered, and I was lucky enough to get this package at a substantial discount.
I really liked the features, and the package looked like a great value with the included accessories like a charger and battery. ThorFire didn't let me down.

Package Contents

The box is nicely labeled and attractively designed.
X5JRXbW.jpg

Contents: Nylon holster, ThorFire VG10, instruction manual, customer satisfaction card, anti-roll ring, 3000mah 18650 battery, small bag containing spare parts and accessories.

Included is a single bay 18650 smart charger with overcharge protection. It works well, and has and led indicator, which is red while charging, and turns green when charging is complete.

The included 3000mAh 18650 also seems of good quality, and features an overcharge/over discharge protection circuit.

The small bag contains spare O rings, tail cap switch and rubber boot, spare AR coated lens, and a nice lanyard.

The light comes with a pocket clip as well. I used it for the first couple weeks as I tested the light at work, then removed it to mount on my rifle.

The stainless steel clip was quite nice, my only qualm being that it only allowed for head up carry, while I prefer head down carry with a pocket clip on my flashlights, but this is merely a matter of preference.

Build Quality

This flashlight is built better than many other flashlights I've bought that cost twice as much. I don't know how they do it, but they use high quality components and manage to keep the cost to consumer low.

The anodizing is very nice, smooth, and defect free.
The body is round and straight, which allows for easy mounting in my rifles flashlight mount. Many lights today have all sort of hills and valleys cut into their body, so finding one that fits nicely in a mount isn't always easy.

The tail cap switch is sturdy and has a very nice feel, with a gold plated spring. There is a U-shape cutout on the tail cap for ease of activation, and this allows activation by my rifle's sling mount.

There is also a cutout in the side of the U to thread a lanyard. The light can tailstand, but not perfectly. The switch protrudes ever so slightly, so tailstanding is wobbly at best.

The threads are rectangular cut and came nicely lubed.

The body of the light is thick, though not very grippy, due to lack of texture. Without the clip and anti roll ring on, this light will roll very easily.

The head of the light has a gold plated spring as well, fins for increased heat dissipation, an nice AR coated lens and nice stainless steel bezel.

Side by Side comparison for an idea of size:

From Left to Right: Utorch UT01, Nitecore MH20GT, ThruNite TC12 V2, ThorFire VG10, ThorFire C8s

The smooth aluminum reflector is free of defects on my sample, and the emitter is perfectly centered. Nothing to criticize, really.

Operation

Operation is simple and straight-forward:

Half press for momentary on, and again to change modes.

Full press to activate constant on.

Mode memory will memorize last setting after being turned off for more than 2 seconds.

The UI follows a linear cycle as follows:

Moonlight->Low->Mid->High

Gotta love it, sometimes simpler is better!

From the instruction manual

Special Features

We already covered the momentary on and mode memory, so on to the other features.

The manual states it features reverse polarity protection, which is always a nice feature.

It also has a low battery warning, and the light will begin to flicker when the battery gets too low. Another nice feature, for sure.

Output

Again, the light has 4 brightness modes

Moonlight, Low, Mid, High

Tail cap readings are as follows, tested with fully charged ThorFire 3000mAh 18650

Moonlight: .01A
Low: .08A
Mid: .65A
High: 2.2A

The following are my own personal output estimates, I in no way purport them to be 100% accurate, take them for what they are, my own personal estimations.

The light has more than enough output for just about any task, and works very well mounted on my rifle. It isn't a long-range thrower, but for standard philosophy of use, it fits the bill nicely.

Some beam comparisons to give an idea of tint:

Left to Right: Utorch UT01 5000k NW, ThorFire VG10 CW, Convoy C8 Clear Warm

Conclusion

I have to admit that the ThorFire VG10 really surprised me. I was not expecting the build and component quality so this good on a light this reasonably priced.

There is really nothing to dislike about this light, or the included charger and battery. Everything was on par with MUCH more expensive lights that I have purchased.

Kudos to ThorFire for putting out such a high quality product without breaking the bank. I really love getting a great value, and this light is a GREAT value for the money.

I have seen the light priced around US$26.00, and the package including battery and charger for around US$36.00.

Last edited:

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I contacted ThorFire regarding availability of the VG10, as I am no longer seeing it for sale on Amazon. I am sorry to say that they have discontinued this light recently. It is a shame, because it is a good light and a good value. I can only hope they are working on newer and even better models.

"Dear Jon,

The VG10 was manufacture discontinued and will not for sale.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards"

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
That is too bad they are not selling this anymore. This is probably my best bang-for-the-buck light. I picked it up last year for $14.49 and it is my current EDC. The only thing I don't like about Thorfire is their holsters. They are really thin and flimsy and don't really fit their lights very well. But I haven't had any problem with the VG10 and use it all of the time.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
It looks like this light is available on Amazon again. I have two of them. They're not as sophisticated as the better known brands and the holsters are rather flimsy, but I think it is easily the best bang for the buck. It's listed for $11.99 on Amazon but there is a discount code available that brings it to $9.59 today.