Nitecore TIP vs Washing Machine: The Aftermath

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
In my continuing saga of bad-luck with taking care of my lights, my less-than-a-month-old Christmas-Edition TIP has met an unfortunate end, not on my key-chain, but in my washing machine where it seems to have gotten stuck between the drum for no less than 10 loads in a row, all but destroying it.

nVDt8Pcl.jpg

As you can see the drum wore 90% of the way through the aluminum, reaching the plastic underneath in several places.

4RlhyPsl.jpg

This side arguably had it even worse, breaking off the push buttons and gouging a giant gash from front to back.

ke2BzyEl.jpg

The gouge from the edge of the drum was several millimeters deep, almost reaching the PCB underneath. Only a sliver of metal thinner than tin-foil remains between the PCB and the open air.

ES0rfBFl.jpg

STILL WORKS :eek:

I have no idea how it lived submerged through the hours of detergent filled water, sans any waterproofing, let alone all the scraping, and lived. Sadly, the broken top button means you cant change modes without shorting it out by hand. Oh well, time to buy another one.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome. I'd have guess the chances of a Tip surviving a wash cycle would be better than 50:50, but no way for surviving getting caught in the drum.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, Impressive robustness. I didn't expect the "It still works!" pic at the end after seeing the first two.
I just got a new TIP 360 for last resort EDC a couple of weeks ago, but I'm so impressed with it; it actually works like a "real torch"... It's performance is better than many of the "real torches" I had in the past. Excellent brightness, fair throw, smooth beam, good flood, excellent tint (no discernable green), usable battery life along with the micro usb port so I can charge it in the car, at home, pretty much anywhere... Total win all round. IPX8 would be the final icing on the cake, but that's not a huge problem.
Really impressed, and I do like this simple modern 2 button UI which Nitecore uses on a lot of their recent flashlights. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlike

Enlightened
I think someone found it had PWM despite the claim...can't remember where exactly

Well, if it does have PWM it must be a high frequency. It is undetectable on mine when in low mode.
I can even take it in front of a mirror in a dark room moving it very quickly and can't see any strobe.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
ES0rfBFl.jpg

STILL WORKS :eek:

I have no idea how it lived submerged through the hours of detergent filled water, sans any waterproofing, let alone all the scraping, and lived.

WOW!!! The new King of the Cockroach lights.. simply amazing. I would not have believed it without a photo. No venting with fire.. No shorted battery.. holes in the case, missing buttons, and Still Works! That has got to be some sort of record.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and by the way, to the OP, if you haven't already, I'd suggest leaving it for a week in a sealed jar full of rice, and it will dry out all of the internals. Then if you can jerry rig something for the mode switch it'll still be a good functional torch.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Wow. Feel better about owning one. It's a cool light for sure. Sorry to the OP. Hate when gear gets trashed not doing what it was made for.

Streamer

Enlightened
If I understand correctly, your Tip went between the inner and outer drums? If so, you should re-install the top shroud that prevents that sort of thing. In my case, my once upon a time baby daughters sock got in there and then into the water pump. Boy, did I close that opening after having to disassemble the entire washer including the pump.

Look for Nitecore to send ya a FREE Tip shortly. They better. (don't hold your breath though)
A Torture Trial like that is top notch advertising.