Best Thrower, Single Cell, Approximately AAA Sized EDC? Include Rechargable Batteries

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
Old topic perhaps but there are several batteries that are about the size of an AAA cell that favor a small EDC form factor. What is the latest with a very high output mode, greater than 125lm, that can be considered a thrower, or at least center loaded?

Thanks

AEHaas

Witterings

Enlightened
I don't think AAA's are generally considered "throwers" as the head size is so restrictive although both my Tank 007 and Ultratac K18 do a reasonable job ... teh latter especially with a 10440.

If you really want a thrower you might be best off with a AA in which case have a look at the Jetbeam II Pro and the Manker T01

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
AEHaas,

Take a look at the TnC Micro-Lux Turbo, the Peak Eiger Ultra X, or the Vinhnguyen54 TOOLvn.

rjking

Enlightened
PK PL2 :twothumbs

Old topic perhaps but there are several batteries that are about the size of an AAA cell that favor a small EDC form factor. What is the latest with a very high output mode, greater than 125lm, that can be considered a thrower, or at least center loaded?

Thanks

AEHaas

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agree,it is a little surprising too!
e6e1652015fe435d1984b3b639a6c906.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to step up to an AA size light, look at the Nitecore EA11. With an AA cell it will do 160lm, and with a 14500 IMR it will do 900lm, with a rated throw of 190m. (I doubt that it will throw that far with an AA cell)

If you would rather do CR123/16340, switch to the EC11. Same head and tail cap, just a little large in diameter body. With a 16340 IMR cell it will do the same 900lm/190m.

Both come with a lanyard and a very nice belt holster, but would be fine in a jean or jacket/coat pocket as well. As a bonus, they both have a secondary red LED for night vision as well.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh apparently manages to squeeze his driver into the Lumintop Tool, and also mods it with an XP-L HI for more throw. It only runs on a 10440 battery.

It's a custom mod made in small quantities, it's expensive, it will get hot, and the battery life will be very short on max, but I don't know what could beat it for raw output in this size. He claims he tested it in his own integrating sphere at 700 lumen at turn on and 500 lumen at 30s. That's jaw-dropping.

http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/small-clicky-need-spec

It seems possible some other AAA-sized light with less total output could beat it for throw with a slightly larger, deeper reflector, but I'm not aware of a AAA light designed with concentrating the hot spot into as small of a size as possible as the main design goal.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
I went with the TnC Micro-Lux Dragon. Apparently it has a de-domed XPL-HI giving it a better point light source and is said to have 1000lm. When compared to some of my other lights it seems to be a true output. It has great throw for such a small flashlight. The beam is center weighted with decent spill and an even pattern. It is my new keychain light. Obviously one does not want to run it at full output unless you need to but WOW. Also, it is USA made, very durable looking. It will be hard to beat any time soon.

Thanks for the suggestion!

aehaas

C7N3M T&T

Newly Enlightened
Vinh apparently manages to squeeze his driver into the Lumintop Tool, and also mods it with an XP-L HI for more throw. It only runs on a 10440 battery.

It's a custom mod made in small quantities, it's expensive, it will get hot, and the battery life will be very short on max, but I don't know what could beat it for raw output in this size. He claims he tested it in his own integrating sphere at 700 lumen at turn on and 500 lumen at 30s. That's jaw-dropping.

http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/small-clicky-need-spec

It seems possible some other AAA-sized light with less total output could beat it for throw with a slightly larger, deeper reflector, but I'm not aware of a AAA light designed with concentrating the hot spot into as small of a size as possible as the main design goal.
Yeah I am blown away with that. It's on my wish list to get and just loose in my pocket with my change just in case!
Looks great!