Shorelight Vx2 mini review

charliek

Enlightened
Description: 1 AA battery powered , 2 LEDs, Selectable 4 levels of light

Arrived from Vendor with a dead battery (perhaps from the awful cold in NJ??)

First impressions: A little bigger than I had pictured it. Belt/pocket clip and a lanyard loop- will not stand on end.

Full brightness- a little dimmer than my CMG Infinity Ultra with a Lithium
Even though this light has 2 LEDs.

Using my handy-dandy panel meter with solar cell light meter:

CMG Infinity Ultra with Lithium registers a 44
Shorelight Vx2 at level 1: 42
Level 2: 38
Level 3: 36
Level 4: 20

Not exactly linear... Level 4 is a MUCH steeper step than the others. Even by eye.

Beam Quality: Ugliest beam I've ever seen come out of a LED light. A distinct "tic-tac-toe" pattern on the ceiling Heavy blue in the center.

Battery change: I hope I never have to change the battery in the woods!
2 Screws must be removed (a penny can be used) - the gasket sticks to both sides on the body of the light, and the entire guts- circuit board and all plop right out while the chrome plated head of the light falls to the desk. I had to wrestle the light a bit to get it all back in place while I put the screws back in.

Now I know why everyone doesn't carry this light. Live an learn-

My next light that is due to arrive is my PAL "Onestar" (AKA "Selector")

I hope my luck gets better.

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
I have the VX-1 as an EDC. The 2 doesn't do much for me at all. The 1 has the nice bill/swivel clip, and that's the best part. Almost the same output as the 2, much smaller. Runs on a AAA cell until it's waaaaasssstttted..
Clips onto what you're working on.

May retro-fit the clip to my Micro-illiminator. Less runtime, but a hell of a lot more light!!

yours, drs the crazed..

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
charliek -

I would have to say I agree with 95% of your mini-review.

A very wordy and unskilled CPFer attempted to do a mini-review of the VX-2 a while back. He was eventually assisted by a much more skilled CPFer. Together, they some how pounded out this somewhat interesting mini-review on the VX-2:

VX-2 Colaborative Review

The more skilled CPFer of this duo was none other than the esteemed "Stainless".

One thing these fellows agreed on (that was a postive) for the VX-2 was that it was durable.

Here is one of Stainless' extrodinary photos depicting the durability of the VX-2:

220750.jpg

Stainless...you watching this thread?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak:
Just found this thread. I am SO glad that I never took the photos off of my website. Just re read our review - that was fun. By the way, please PM me your mailing address. Once I (finally) get reemployed, I'd like to send some little light to you to "creatively abuse". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
P.S. You are most kind with your words.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stainless -

I had to re-read it too. It was fun.

I had forgotten that it was Witsend and Rothrandir that suggested a wheelchair drive-over test responded to by a car drive-over test.

Thank you for the offer to "punish/test" a light. I'm thinking a model rocket with no parachute. A 1200' drop test?

I don't think I can come close to your creative abuse, though. Remember you invented the blueberry popsickle crash test?

Preflight preparation:

452744.jpg

JJHitt

Enlightened
The goofy beam I can live with, but I really wish the battery replacement was simpler. Next to the EternaLights this is the hardest light I have when it comes to battery changes.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
Stainless -

Thank you for the offer to "punish/test" a light. I'm thinking a model rocket with no parachute. A 1200' drop test?

Preflight preparation:

452744.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ice:
Are you really into model rockets? I am familiar with them - so I now have at least one criteria to selecting a light to send you. (BTW, an L5 is out - terminal velocity for one of those is NOT something I want to ponder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)