cree XR-E (r2) upgrade with newer led same driver?

whooda4

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to light modding but wanted to get some ideas and see if what im thinking is even possible. I've got a Jetbeam 3m premium R2 (XR-E) that I am looking to upgrade the led. The driver has a high low twisty and I would like to not replace it just the led. Is there a source for easily comparing leds? The specs of the current led are posted below. Any ideas or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Size7 x 9 mm
Product OptionsWhite
Color
Maximum Drive Current1 A Cool White
0.7 A Warm and Neutral White
Maximum Power4 W
Maximum Light Output251 lm
Maximum Efficacy at Binning Conditions99 lm/W
Typical Forward Voltage3.3 V @ 350 mA
Maximum Reverse Voltage5 V
Viewing Angle90 ° White
Maximum Junction Temperature150 °C
BinningStandard
ESD ClassificationClass 2 (HBM per Mil-Std-883D)
Reflow SolderableYes - JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
RoHS-CompliantYes
REACH-CompliantYes

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one replies. Well, I did, but self censored. Telling a fellow chap to bury the light, might be taken as rude. Problem is you must change the reflector. Xpe or xpg or xpl hi. If you like the light enough to upgrade, might as well get a new light, if you need many lights. Upgrade the driver and power source.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does someone make a LED with the same pad sizes as the XR-E? It's quite a bit larger than stuff like the XP-E or even the bigger LEDs such as the XM-L.

Or are you changing the LED and metal core circuit board as an assembly?

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Its definitely possible to swap in a new LED for that light back when the XR-E was the main thing in lights when the XP-G came out i remember lots of people swapping them in all sorts of lights back when that was most of us did before the million and one lights that come out now with the latest things :).

Also I could understand why you wanted to keep that light its sure is a nice high quality light.

Looking a little at the light the XR-E is larger than most of the newer LEDs like XP-G, XM-L etc so one issue you could have is the reflector not working perfectly with the other LED's as the XR-E but really it could work fine.

As far as the driver goes it should run something like a XP-G fine and you should get a nice bump in lumens output as its more efficient.

To replace the old LED you will need to take out the LED and the little board its mounted on which if it is a common size it could be possible to buy a XP-G mounted on a similar size board and fit that instead which is relatively straight forward.

I would also search around on this site as its likely someone has already done this and could probably explain it better than i could.

Good luck with your upgrade.