Protac 2l battery options

omg_vtec

Newly Enlightened
So I've been reading up on batteries and would like to get a rechargeable option for my light. It seems like an 18650 will sometimes work in place of two cr123a batteries. I have a 18680 in a laser pointer but it doesn't fit in my pt2l. Is that gonna be the same for any other 18650 I get or is it maybe just the battery is cheaper and maybe a little bigger? If not, is it worth boring the light out a hair to fit the new battery or just get another light that takes an 18650 and retire the 2l

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site from a fellow vtec'r. (Preludes)

The 18650 is 18mm in girth. The Streamlights until recently were designed to house the 16mm girth of a CR123. The idea of 'dual fuel' is new to Streamlight and some others.

Perhaps you can use a 16650 but I'm not certain the 3+ volts would make the light designed for 6+ volts even work.
Hope that helps.

Edit, don't know if is out yet but a 2L X is listed at their site. That will take your 18650.

Last edited:

Frdlite

Newly Enlightened
I have used my 2L with a keep power 16650 for a year at my work works good don't see no difference and it runs pretty long have not actually timed it

omg_vtec

Newly Enlightened
Bykfixer, luder here as well. And I've seen the 16650 but wasn't sure about the voltage different myself. I'm thinking it might be time to retire it and spend a little cash and get a dual fuel light (maybe Fenix or something). Maybe have it as a bedside light...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came here to say what byk posted. Some thoughts to add: I also like Efest cells in my E2D. But I suggest that you try to get Button Top Protected cells and a quality charger. I like the XStar chargers. Their cells aren't bad either.

If if you want to do some tweaks to the light.....a few more ideas to google or search here: Oveready, Tana, Malkoff, Lumens Factory and we have a member who can do some dental work on it aka Detooth or Defang. Want to bore her out? PrecisionWorks. Don't forget you can Lego that thing until your mind is twisted by lumens.
Search this forum for E Series Unite and SF legos.
IMHO: I would never sell it. There are too many fun options out there. Your bank account may be the limiting factor.

Most importanly, have fun! Hasta La Vista.

omg_vtec

Newly Enlightened
@str8stroke what are some of the tweaks? Just what am I looking for?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wonder if the 2L-x does the full 500 lumens with an 18650...
My 1L dual fuel does full output (350+/-) with a 123 but about half of the full output (135+/-) with a double A.... which is plenty for my use, but when it lights up at full blast it's like a totally different flashlight.