M6 or 10x?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ok for all you flash-happy people out there, if you had a choice between the M6 or 10x, which would you get? I'm thinking about a christmas present for my Dad for something around the house, need to know how much to save.
grin.gif

Worldskipper

Free

Enlightened
I will let you know just as soon as I get my 10X. It should come any day now and then I will do a direct comparison between the two.

Tim Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, 10x or M6. 10x. Has more advantages (easier to hold, more power, longer runtime wtih lower power (60 lumen) lamp (THREE HOURS), has an optional 110 lu lamp when paired with the 500 lu gives well over 500 lumens= more powerful- as an option whithout swapping lamps.

BTW- it'll be more than "any day now" - projected re-release is another 3 weeks minimum.

Here's the review I did when I was testing the 10x: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000324

Hope this helps.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

allow me to answer you with a question?
have you considered a Streamlight Ultrastinger? -- $90 apx from Arizona Gun Runners, rechargeable -(unless you don't mind spending 50 cents apx. a minute to light up) bulbs are only about 5 or 6 bucks, so one really doesn't mind USING the thing around the house...I just got mine this morning, I'll compare it to the Surefire 12pm tonight....

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm likely to choose the 10X other the M6.
More then likely I'll be getting both. The M6 will be certified waterproof special order so I can dive at night once I've done a SCUBA course.

Far be it for me to defend StreamLight, so don't get the wrong idea!
wink.gif

The lenses and reflectors of SureFire Millennium and KT TurboHeads can not be replaced by the user. I have several ruined TurboHeads as a result of my field-testing.
I'm sure that SureFire Customer Service will be able to help though. I'd send back the TurboHead if a lamp exploded in it.

It happens. Not often.

Then Customer Service has a chance to make a great impression.

Al

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:

Far be it for me to defend StreamLight, so don't get the wrong idea!
wink.gif

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, this is the first time (as far as I could remember) that .you don't ... Don't worry, I won't get the wrong idea
smile.gif

Anyway, the next few lights I'll get is UltraStinger (don't jump, please), then 10X, M3 LEDs and M4 with Pyrex lens. I hope that Sure Fire will release those lights sooner than later.

See, only 1 SL but 3 SF, happy now?
smile.gif

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm gonna see if I can visit a shop with an UltraStinger to see one for myself.

If a bulb blows in an UltraStinger or SureFire reflector, the last thing you should do is try to clean it yourself. Maybe this is one of the reasons why the Bezel Lens is sealed. The surface of these reflectors aren't meant to be touched or wiped as this scratches them.

In my opinion, having to send back the Bezel to the company (StreamLight or SureFire) is best because in my experience, blowing a lamp pretty much ruins the reflector and often the lens too. These are very powerful bulbs, under very high pressure. They are very hot, and can sometimes take the reflective mirror surface off the reflector. Even if you do manage to clean it and not make it any worse, it'll most likely be damaged and marked etc.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Henry,
yes, I checked your other posts.
As I have been reaching into tiny places with cotton swabs to polish video heads and record heads and the like, I am not too phased at the prospect of getting a swab up against the inside glass, or is it plastic (I left my ultraS. home today so I can't check) of the ultrastinger, should the bulb explode...by the way, if it IS plastic what would be the good stuff to clean it with? I have no idea what the reflector material would be on the Ultrastinger, or the best way to clean it...yet...(I know that Mag uses acid-polished stainless steel on their rechargeable reflector - but could you restore that at home?) I don't remember ever having had a bulb explode, though..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ted,

It is plastic. I am used to cleaning expensive camera lenses. I used a lens cleaning cloth wrapped around the end of a Q-tip to clean the inside of the lens.

I don't see how I could clean the reflector. Certainly the technique I used to clean the lens would not work on the reflector.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't someone once post a tip about cleaning out hard to get to or sealed reflectors by using a camera-type compressed air can/blower, or an air-line ?

I think there was a warning about using one that doesn't contain any propellant, (a can containing just air under compression)because the substance used as a propellant might stain the reflector.

Jahn
smile.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

try the opposite direction. When I get dust in my stingerXT lens/reflector assembly, I just used a regular household vacuum cleaner with the handheld extension. Works great.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it was Shelby Chan, thanks Al.

In an e-mail, Shelby reminded me that

QUOTE -
Anyways, when using the
compressed air canister, you might want to remind the guys never to turn the can in any other direction other than up-right. If the can is angled or turned upside down, a refrigerant comes out and may stain your lense. It is best to give it a test spray before inserting it into your reflector assembly to be sure no moisture had built up from the can just sitting there. I still use this technique to clean all my turboheads and M3 bezel.
/QUOTE

Lite-Lover
blush.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Well, I'm fortunate enough, or foolish enough,
confused.gif
to own both the Surefire M6, and an UltraStinger. The M6, with it's 250 lumen lamp, puts out roughly double the light the UltraStinger does. And, it is much better at long distances than the Streamlight, too.
cool.gif

That being said, the M6 is really a case of overkill, and it looks to me like the 10x is *vastly* better in design and function.
Due to the cost of those 6 lithium batteries, I've used my M6 very little. But in the few weeks I've had the UltraStinger, I've run it (almost) completely down twice now. I have 2 extra battery packs for it that I made, which cost $17 for both of them. I have 3 spare lamps on hand for the Streamlight, and only one for the M6. So really, in choosing between the M6 and the 10X, I'd pick the UltraStinger in a heartbeat. The 10X has got to be the ultimate in design perfection, but it's really, really expensive. As are the lamps, and extra battery packs.
Even buying the battery packs for the UltraStinger from Streamlight is only $30, a bargain in comparison to Surefire battery packs. I'm not saying the UltraStinger is as good as either the M6 or 10X, it's not, by a very large margin. But, for the money, the UltraStinger delivers more than either light.
If you must choose between the M6 and 10X, it's no contest: the 10X wins on nearly every count. Sixty lumens is a *lot* of light compared to other 'conventional' flashlights of any kind. Three hours is a very long burn time for that amount of light, too. And the fact that it's rechargeable makes it so much of a better value. And you have the ultra high light output for those relatively rare occasions when you need it. (And you won't be thinking about lithium batteries, while you are using it.) But if it were me, and I didn't already have one, I'd count the UltraStinger as one fine Christmas gift. You could even buy a spare lamp or 2, and an extra battery pack, to make it a *really* nice gift.

BTW: I am one of the *extremely* fortunate few who never had any problems with any orders to Botach; I didn't know just how lucky I was until relatively recently. I paid $215 for the M6, and I bought a boatload of the Energizer 123's when they were $2, and more when they were $1.50, so I made out very, very well. Of course, it will be a cold day in hell before I give them any more of my money. I feel like I've used up several years' worth of good luck!
shocked.gif

But I will use the UltraStinger way, way more than the M6. Odds are, I won't buy the 10X, simply because I already own the UltraStinger (We'll see how long that prediction lasts....!)
grin.gif
I own 6 SureFire flashlights now, but before I got the UltraStinger, I used one of my 3 standard Stingers by far the most. Funny how the standard Stingers seem so wimpy now.
frown.gif

I carry and regularly use an Undewater Kinetics 2L; I consider it an excellent compromise between size, weight, and cost of operation, for a flashlight I *always* have with me; but that's another story.
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, The stinger looks promising, but my ol'man usually gets the best of everything, I don't mind, I inherit good things.
grin.gif
What I'm looking for is something around the house for him and then when he goes hunting at night(varmints)he could take the a big light with him. Thanks why the m6 and 10x question.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I can start saving now.
Worldskipper

JoeyL

Enlightened
ditto...

Gandalf, that was a very helpful review of those lights. I'll order an Ultrastinger based on that and test it out.

One point that I think is important, though... the rechargeables need frequent monitoring if you dont have multiple batteries, since they discharge by themselves, whereas the lithiums could sit around for years and be ready to go. Depending on your needs, this sounds like a good reason for either an ultrastinger OR 10x in addition to an M6.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
Well, I'm fortunate enough, or foolish enough,
confused.gif
to own both the Surefire M6, and an UltraStinger. The M6, with it's 250 lumen lamp, puts out roughly double the light the UltraStinger does. And, it is much better at long distances than the Streamlight, too.
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gandalf, I've just got a 10X. While it throws out a large beam, it doesn't beat US at long distances. I guess I need to rush out for a M6. I just cancelled an order of M6 for 3 stingers a couple days ago. I don't care much about 123 cells as I got them real cheap @$1.28

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
"I carry and regularly use an Undewater Kinetics 2L; I consider it an excellent compromise between size, weight, and cost of operation, for a flashlight I *always* have with me; but that's another story."

I've come to the same conclusion About the 2L. Three hrs + of decent light in a tiny, 2 1/2 ounce waterproof package can't be beat.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Hi Gandalf, I've just got a 10X. While it throws out a large beam, it doesn't beat US at long distances. I guess I need to rush out for a M6. I just cancelled an order of M6 for 3 stingers a couple days ago. I don't care much about 123 cells as I got them real cheap @$1.28

Alan
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Alan,

What brand/date are those lithiums and where do you get them?

Regards
Brightnorm