The new Surefire EB2 600 lumens is here

kj2

Flashaholic
With a 600 high and 5 lumens low, I start to think they should really include a medium mode..

Nichia!

Banned
I have been waiting for it, but if they gonna on the green side then am out..

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a 600 high and 5 lumens low, I start to think they should really include a medium mode..

Yep.
5/600 is ridiculous mode spacing. My preference would be about 40-50 lumens for "low", like the beloved LX2.
That way low would be general purpose, with high there as needed.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
What does 600 lumen per ANSI standard mean these days in straight talk? Are we getting 600 lumens for 2 hours or 600 lumens for 2 minutes?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does 600 lumen per ANSI standard mean these days in straight talk? Are we getting 600 lumens for 2 hours or 600 lumens for 2 minutes?

More like 2 minutes, maybe not even that long under ANSI-FL1 :shakehead:

As Selfbuilt says on his site:

As the ANSI/NEMA FL-1 Standards are a copyrighted and protected document, I was initially relying on published public reports by various manufacturers on the standards' specifics. It turns out these weren't quite entirely accurate for max output. I have since purchased a copy of the FL-1 standards, and can confirm that all output/throw testing does takes place within 30-120 secs after activation. As you might imagine, manufacturers will typically pick the time that best suits them (likely 30 secs for output/throw measures).

http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/FL1.htm

As for the runtime on high for the new EB2, the double asterisk note on the SureFire product page says:

** Runtime (at highest setting for multiple-output
lights) until output drops below 50 lumens.

In other words, the 'runtime' is until the output drops to one twelfth of the 600 lumen advertised output.

I always have to wipe my shoes off after reading these output and runtime claims.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
That depends on the electronics, heatsink and batteries that are been used.
In this case I was referring to SF claims not in general.
I'm only aware of 3 brands that give you straight no BS lumen:runtime claims Zebralight, Malkoff and HDS. With most other brands you have to guess howy man true sustained lumens you'll get. It irks me to read topics about new lights that guys rave about only to find out that a light with the latest and greatest LED runs 1000 lumens for a minute and then drops to 350. At least advertise it accurately so I can decide if upgrades to my current lights make sense.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this case I was referring to SF claims not in general.
I'm only aware of 3 brands that give you straight no BS lumen:runtime claims Zebralight, Malkoff and HDS. With most other brands you have to guess howy man true sustained lumens you'll get. It irks me to read topics about new lights that guys rave about only to find out that a light with the latest and greatest LED runs 1000 lumens for a minute and then drops to 350. At least advertise it accurately so I can decide if upgrades to my current lights make sense.

Output drops to 75% within 15min.

http://flashlightguide.com/2013/07/review-surefire-eb2-backup/

LCPD43057

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestion on getting a classic LX2 or jumping into the EB2/ E2DLU? I've heard the good reputation of LX2, but the upgrade on TIR/LED sounds attracting.