The current letter home from Iraq

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
This is my current letter home from Iraq.
For the moment this place is quiet.
Nothing rude has happened in about three weeks.

In the below posting, I talk about photos.
Look at the last ten or so my buddy Gordon is hosting. Those apply here.

http://www.obscure-reference.com/hosted/RadioMike/index.html

Hope all is well on your end.

Jack Crow in Iraq.
--------------------------------------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif
Hi all,
Part of me says there is nothing to write home about. Another part says 'do it anyway'. The big things in life become history, the little things are what most of us live for.

So what's new and exciting?

The Army's program to breed a better mosquito is making progress here in Iraq.
Lots of puddles and swamps for hatcheries. A fresh crop of new hungry young ones just hatched. (See photo)

Your Army wants your assistance to help feed these kids. All you got to do is sit still and not scratch.

There are several new and exciting ways you can do your part.

First is visiting the PX trailer at dusk. Last night the skeeters were thick there. One of the better genetic attributes of the Iraqi mosquito is their ability to resist swatting. They are hard to hit.

Second is to leave your tent flaps open. An all you can eat buffet of sleeping troopers and contractors. Please pass the hemoglobin.

For those that don't want to take part or are just not interested in the program there are things you can do.

One trick we learned from the Scania vets is to turn up the air conditioner in the tent. Apparently the bugs don't like the cold. A tent at 60 degrees F feels like a meat locker. Yet the same temp at night with a light jacket is totally acceptable. A lot of temperature is mental, and not physical. Don't any of you send that quote back to me when it's +130 here. I won't want to hear it.

Another trick is to use most anything containing DEET. I personally would prefer about 20,000 gallons of DDT and solve the problem, but you make use of what you got.

Here is an idea for someone. Market a complete line of personal care products that have DEET as part of the matrix. Brute with Deet. Shampoo, Head, shoulders, neck, back, sides and the rest. Remember the famous lyric about shaving foam. How did Mr. Zappa put it "Now I thought it was a razor, and a can of foam and goo, but he told me right then when the box was open, there was nothing his box won't do". How about underarm stuff? A baby powder for several kinds of itches. Mr. Popile a market begs your notice.

The PX is selling mosquito netting (aka bed berka). It's a roughly box shaped net that normally would suspend from above on string. That's the rub here. In the tent there is next to nothing to suspend it from.

One trick is to lash the supports to the bed posts. The problem is there are no easy to find supports. No sticks, dowels, or thin wood. The nearest Home Depot like place is perhaps in Kuwait. The MSR is closed today and we are not getting a lift in a chopper. To get what is needed, you got to make deals with the devil you know. That means talking to your friendly neighborhood KBR representative. (The mental image of a peg leg, eye patch, hook and parrot should come to mind. "Eye matie, your after me lumber! No lad, that won't do. Draw Cutlasses if your man enough!") The truth be told most pirates look a lot like union carpenters.

Took a little walk a moment ago and went to the wood shop. Along edge of this base is the KBR compound. It's a small city on the edge of a larger one. Tents for work shops, storage units and some living areas. Part of this is their wood shop. They have two AMCITS carpenters supervising and the rest of the staff are Hajji. (See photos)

As things worked out, I ran into a carpenter I vaguely knew and outlined the problem. I asked for permission (always pays to be nice) to dig in their scraps bin. Found a number of bits that would work. They cut them down to 36 inches. I now have enough wood for about half of the beds. As guys get bug bit and buy more of the nets we will get more wood then. We have plenty of duct tape. I'm going to try and reinforce the duct tape with 18awg solid core electrical wire wrapped tight. Something to do this evening.

One of the things that help life here is a willingness to grease the skids. When all the contractors here make a stack of dollars, another medium of exchange serves. In this case DVD's the PX won't sell, but the Hajji's do. Remember the Dollah vs Allah effect.

Another cute thing KBR has here are little living units called 'containers'. These are little rooms built into small conex shipping containers. There is room for a bed, a metal closet and a small toilet unit. I gather there are smaller hotel rooms in Tokyo but not by much.
(See Photos x and y)

The ITT people are trying to work a deal to get these digs. A little privacy would be a nice thing here. What was that old lyric "You don't know what you've got till it's gone".

One of the nice things here is the KBR laundry service. If you bring them a bag of goods in the morning it's usually done by late afternoon. Here is a photo of the laundry squad. Again some AMCITS and some Hajji's.

Italians love fine food. I know of a great place not to go.

Our DeFAC (dining facility) would not last long in an Italian neighborhood. About the time it takes to visit the Amoco and get five gallons of hi test and a Bic lighter. Since the DeFAC is the only place in town, we make adjustments.

Three meals a day. Breakfast and lunch tend to be the most repetitive. Dinners have some variety.

I had a photo request. This wasn't easy. I had to bring the camera in there, figure out how to turn off the flash, and then take some undercover photos.

The picture with the coffee urn is the service side. Behind that are the serving points. Did not sneak a photo of that, too many troopers in the way. All you would have scene is a bunch of butts in desert camies. Guy's butts don't do it for me. It's not self service, a team of TCN's pass out the goods. They also seem to make up rules of what you can have, and what they are un willing to issue. They even get fussy about passing out extra pork products. You would figure they want to be rid of that stuff.

Since KBR employs the TCN's they (KBR staff) tend to get seconds. The rest of us have to make due with the un regulated food items. Some sandwich meats, salad bar, usually soup, bread and toaster, sometimes a baked potato bar, and once in a while a pasta bar.

One of the best things KBR has done is add a TCN at the end of the self serve tables with ice-cream. They usually have four flavors. Vanilla, chocolate, lemon, and mango. Don't laugh, mango is surprisingly good. The color is an odd shade of orange but nice stuff. The TCN will scoop out the goods and you get to DIY what type and how much topping. The ice-cream is Danish made and good quality. About every other day I make the point of getting this treat.

One of the other photos are of the self service islands down the center. Yawning permitted. What can I say about our DeFAC, it's a lot like most forms of industrial catering with machine guns under the table.

Another nice thing about this place is getting packages. It's a break in the tedium. Iraq should export tedium. Tedium here is available as a solid, liquid, and gas. Tedium as a plasma would be an oxy moron. Here very often you crave something new to look at or do. I've been active on Amazon, Walden Books, Galls and a few other web merchants that ship to APO addresses. As of today a number of items ordered from web dealers have appeared. This is a mental thing. When you're getting you don't think about the visa bill.

It's a strange sensation when you hold a book, and realize it might be the only copy in this whole blighted country. Or how about when you order a music CD from a band you like expecting more of the same from and are pleased to discover it's superb. Caught that break with an album called "Mother Focus" by Focus. Strongly recommended.

This whole 'getting stuff thing' explains the hook late night infomercials have on people. Since for the moment we don't have a sat TV hook up, I won't be buying a pocket fisherman for the desert. How many desert sparrows can you stick in a rotisserie device? Will one fit a camel? Mr. Popile, welcome to the mid east.

Another thing I have been 'turned on' to is a web forum for flashlights. Did you know there are people who collect, modify and dink with these things? It's astonishing. In the desert you learn fast what tools are any good and which ones stay in the bag. Most of the troopers here have the 2xAA Mag Light. Why, because the PX sells them. Batteries and bulbs are in the pipeline, even at the PX. The Mag is a solid bit of work and it has a weakness, drop it when it's on and the bulb's have a 20% chance of failure.

The people at CPF forum have vendors that sell fixes for this issue. One is a drop in LED conversion kit. It's got good brightness and a longer run time. LED's are nearly immune to mechanical shock. I've got a half dozen of these kits on order. Some for my self and other team members. If this catches on, I could run a little service here converting mag lights for troopers. Turning weak tools into premium parts.

Click on this.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com

If you go to look for my (real) name, expect not to find it. I post items under the cover name "Jack Crow". I took Crow's name from a John Stakley novel called Armor. Another highly worthwhile book. Crow is a rouge and a rough one. A Hyde for my Jeckle.

Lots of good information is available on the Candle Power Forum. People from all over the world are in on this. At this time I may be the only one on from Iraq. At least two from KL Malaysia, a few in eastern Europe, and a bunch in CONUS.

Enough for now.

So, all of you.
Keep it warm

Jack in Iraq.

PS
Today 2-14-2004 we celebrate the anniversary of a famous event.
The elimination of the Bugs Moran gang at the hands of the Al Capone gang.
This day in 1929.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
BPL Just a quick question........ctxt

BPL,
You screen name, is that from the Springstine edition or the Manferd Man edition.

Also if you look up the lyrics, it's a very deep kind of song.

Keep it warm
Jack in Iraq /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BPL Just a quick question........ctxt

it'd be inspired by Springsteen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

and it's funny you say "keep it warm" 'cause it's currently -27ºF here in Presque Isle, Maine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif haha

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

I thought it was Manfred Mann Earth Band /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Manfred Mann Earth Band had the big hit with the song but didn't Springsteen write it? I know I have heard it on his albums as well.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

Guys a bit of trivia

According to what I have been able to gleen, Springstine wrote it, and Manford made it popular.

The kicker is almost nobody figures out the lyrics. If you do a web search for it, you will find it's an interlocked little story of teen agnst, sex drive and the non joys of growing up in New Jersey.

In other news, Im going to ask my friend Gordon to post some more photos today. Got some of a little sand storm here yesterday. A trooper with a laser sight and a fancy flashlight on his A4.

That's it for now.
Jack in Iraq.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Yes, I KNOW it was written by Bruce (hence the smilie) - around here (NYC) it's really RARE to hear the Manfred Mann Version - you almost always hear the Bruce version. I like'm both, but I just had to throw in the dig, because for ONCE the cover is more famous than the original.

Then again I'm one of the few people who LIKES the "Flying Lizards" version of "Money" more than the Beatles!!! And I remembered it BEFORE that stupid move came out - heck, I can even remember the rock video that went with it (PRE MTV!!!)

Does anyone remember pre MTV videos? There was a series of video tapes (weekly? Monthly?) called Rockworld, that were sponsored by the Navy. It was staple stuff at some bars, and on some small cable (and college) TV Stations

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
pre-MTV!?? huh!?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan,
August 1st, 1981 - the day MTV went on the air. At the college TV station, we said "Cool, 24 hour a day rockworld"

The first song? "Video Killed the Radio Star"

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

All,
Yes there was a time before MTV. When I was in High School I was putting in eight track players in peoples cars.

Before "Video Killed the Radio Star" we had good radio stations in New York.

Here Im filling in my music collection.
Got via Amazon a truly wonderful albums

"Mother Focus" by Focus.
"The very best of Be Bop Deluxe"
"Tales of 1001 nights" by Renasance
"Grape Jam" by Moby Grape
More on order.

There was a late night show on WNEW New York called Desert Island Disks. Lisitners were invited to submit three albums they take to a desert island. Since this base is part of a land mass, Ive expanded on the idea.

Also got some tastless movies.
"A boy and his dog"
"The Kentucky Fried Movie"
"Dark Star"

A few other things that pre existed MTV as well.

So if you want to learn about some cool things, hang out with us. We can teach you about premium sounds. Songs that ment something.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq.

03lab

Enlightened

I like Dark Star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I wouldn't spent money on it.

RadarGreg

Enlightened

JackCrow,

You forgot the first rule in dealing with the KBR guys, "Anything for a Buck!" These guys would sell their mom into a brothel for cost plus 10 percent. If you want to get something made that is useful, like bug net supports, draw up a requirements document for something for your work area. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, something like shelves for your equipment, or warning signs for high voltage, RF hazard, or a myriad or other modern disasters waiting to happen. Submit the request to the base command, and bada bing, the work contract goes through. Once the carpenter manages to find your office, ask him to construct whatever life support extras you need. The actual worker is usually pretty helpful; it is the manager you have to watch out for.

I'll be down in Iraq at the end of May. Maybe I'll run into you while there. Stay safe, wear your body armor, and get some good flashlights.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
Jack_Crow said:
...snip...There was a late night show on WNEW New York called Desert Island Disks....snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack ( or should I say "golden" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

That was Dennis Elsas' show, right? Or was it one of the Neer brothers? Wasn't Scott, and was post Alison Steele

SO many of those jocks are still around on WAXQ here in NYC. The show is a bit dated - it's like the 80s and 90s never happened

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

Radar,
You gotta point there. So far most of the stuff the comm unit has ordered with KBR has been totally valid. It goes via the base Mayor's Office (A captian in this case) and the stuff get's built. Actually these guys are looking for projects to do, it justifiy's their existance. So if we give them assignments they get to look good having them done.

The wood was scrap wood, that's not accountable. What's that line when is a 2x4 not a 2x4.
When it has to be purchased in Kuwait.
When it's transported via military convoy in Indian Country.
When there are no fork lifts to move it, and it's human labor.
So it's the value added thing.

If you make it here, Im in a place called CSC Scania. It has all the ambiance of a 'cat litter'. Yet each day things get slightly better. The toilets haven't quit for over a week.

Im with ITT working a comm contract. Ask for Radio Mike, the satcom dish near the medical unit is my problem. Jack Crow is a happy fiction, a screen name, an alternate personality.

As for Body Armor, Ive been issued the latest and greatest. W/O plates. The front line guys get plates.

I feel like such a fraud in it. There are troopers here who have been here for months with Vietnam surplus armor. I put it on when the powers that be order it done. The rest of the time it's on a hanger, off the floor in the tent. Im not Army and have no business with Armor that would serve better with a front line trooper.

The Scania situation here is rather good. This base hires between 50 and 100 Hajji's for work. Eight dollars a day is a huge amount. The combat engineers also help in the area, fixing roads and such. The medics treat locals who get injured or worse yet wounded. For the most part they are treated with respect. As I have said before, these people are part of a train wreck 20 years in the making. Nobody can pick all the peices up that quickly.

Im trying to get my foot in the door to help hunt down the people making IED's. Presented some good ideas to some of the combat engineers here. Perhaps I can be let into the program. My idea is at least an approach the Army diden't have. I figure if we can nail the builders, we can dry up the supply of units. In this country tech know how is in very short supply, so are people who can do deadly things with explosives.

You got access to a DSN terminal? If so send me a private message here and I can call you via the system.

Fun is what you make here. Thinking of starting a rumor for Pizza delivery here on base. Evil.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

C,
Im not exactly sure at this point.
It's been a while.
Where do you do the ham radio thing.

Ages ago I was an officer at LARC. 147.21 4Z Positive. Did some exotic things with repeaters and radio direction finding.

When Im not in the mid east I hang out with these guys
www.amrad.org

Check out the club call sign. Let's say when these guys hook up for lunch it's interesting to sit and learn.

Im also surprised that you knew Felix (Formerly of Golden, Banshee, and now middle space. I don't recall where Crow called home.

What ever became of Pete Fornatell (sp). He drove me crazy once. One sunday morning he played some songs by a crew called "Uncle Bonzi". They were great. None of the record stores had the album.

One day I went to the Titus Oaks record store in Westbury and while walking from my car to the building I noticed a bumper sticker that said "Uncle Bonzi tastes like chicken". Had to find out who's car that was. As it turned out, the it was the manager's car, and he diden't have any albums either. Years after that I ordered it on Amazon and get giggels. This thing took about 5 years to resolve.

That's the news of the moment.

That's a good one, who sang "Keep it warm"

Later dude
Stay out of trauma
Jack Crow in Iraq

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
Jack_Crow said:
...snip....
Where do you do the ham radio thing.

...snip...www.amrad.org[/url]

Check out the club call sign. Let's say when these guys hook up for lunch it's interesting to sit and learn.

Im also surprised that you knew Felix ...snip...

What ever became of Pete Fornatell (sp). ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the "radio thing" mostlly in Queens County of NYC - I'm the local Emergency Coordinator of ARES

I can imagine that club (amrad) is "fun" - didn't even LOOK at the club call sign, got to the QTH and realized who they were /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My Elmer has some interesting stories about being a radio operator during the "South East Asia Summer Games"

Hey, Felix is a cool character. I re-read the book a couple of months ago. I'm re-reading the John Ringo "Gust Front" stuff right now - don't like the Honor Harrington stuff

Head slap - Of course it was Pete Fornatale. I think he might be at WXRK aka K Rock, or at WFUV.... Digging... Yep, has a show at WFUV ("Mixed Bag") - syndicated

His web site

http://www.mixedbagradio.com/

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

Here we go again,

I was the RACES EC for Tonw of Huntington. Took that about a year after the Avianca plane went into cove neck the hard way, and got out just before the Flight 800 mess.

Had more than my share of events. To major winter storms, bike races, foot races, got to hate anything ending in "o-thon".

Mostly I was a political EC, had to stand up to powers that be and be a target. Other people used political connections to bring down the very same powers that be for fraud and other nasty habits people tend to get over time. Ask Stan N2NKI or Roger W2GLE about what the cost of this was. We were fortunate that our opposition were idiots.

So hop on the Larkfield ARC and say hi. Tell Stan and co that we were chating here and ask for the tall tails. Have I got a history there.

That's the news of the moment.
Hope all is well.
Had a bang last night at 04:30, something outside the fence. The combat engineers tell me that's the time of choice for 'loyalest' to plant IED's. Hope one took out one if them. For each idiot that get's spattered, it's that many fewer troopers that get hurt.

Most Iraqi's are good people, deeply traumatized by the prior admin. Some are bent on mayhem.

It's gotta suck when Allah ain't pleased.

Or if I truly wanted to tick them off, get a tee shirt that reads in arabic "Allah is an AMCIT".

I ain't that hot to die.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Wow - It's a small world

I JUST got off the phone with Steve Druckman (wb2zse), and I see the guys from Nassau ARES and RACES all the time (the groups are starting to merge, believe it or not). I used to be the RACES RO for Queens too, but those groups have split. I'll ask Stan for the stories when I see him in person next month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You probably know my elmer - Charlie Alfano. I also work at the same company as Steve Mendelsohn, so I see him all the time...

BTW I'm sending you a PM, as I can't ask Stan for stories without a name