Default Re: The vintage California cop light company thread

Awesome.
    Super-duper rare indeed.
    John 3:16

1D body with 1st gen. head

Cool.
    What would be the estimated output on the 1D configuration?
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    Cool.
    What would be the estimated output on the 1D configuration?
    There are some options but I am using a 3AA serial battery adapter with a 3-cell Maglite PR bulb. I think the output is about 20 to 30 lumens....

Hey, can't believe I missed this! Very awesome 1D!! Any story behind the previous owner? As I remember these were made so short so that they could be mounted on shotguns. In fact these were the first weapon mounted flashlight. The Kel-Lite 1D is one of the few lights I don't have that I hope to one day. The others are the BTL-26 and an original Surefire 6C. I recently picked up an extremely rare Kel-Lite recently too but I have a little research to do and some pictures to take before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Hey, can't believe I missed this! Very awesome 1D!! Any story behind the previous owner? As I remember these were made so short so that they could be mounted on shotguns. In fact these were the first weapon mounted flashlight. The Kel-Lite 1D is one of the few lights I don't have that I hope to one day. The others are the BTL-26 and an original Surefire 6C. I recently picked up an extremely rare Kel-Lite recently too but I have a little research to do and some pictures to take before posting.
    The earliest shotgun mounted light that I can think of (aside form flashlights with frig magnets on the side slapped to the side of a shotgun's receiver) is the high standard model ten A police shotgun from c.1967 which had built in flashlight (2 cell??) and the later B model that had a clamp that took a 2 cell Kel-Lite (although other cell lengths and brands, including Malites would fit in the clamp). apparently the gun was a jam-o-matic and the recoil often blew out the flashlight bulbs.

Default The vintage California cop light company thread

The first known weapon mounted light was a candle lantern on a flint lock pistol. Along the way folks always considered gun mounted lighting but recoil was always an issue. The light bulb was not immune from that.

Spring mounted bulb fasteners helped some when the PR bulb became to norm. I cannot say who or when the first "mounted" flashlight was done, but Don Keller used tried and true ideas in his thinking when he devised the Kel-Lite.
    He was kinda like Evel Kneivel who'd look at a line of buses and point his arm at an angle and say "build the ramp about like that angle". A very unscientific way of being the first one to do something never tried before.

I like to imagine a couple of fairly young policemen trying out a 2C Kel-Lite strapped to a Mossburg at a range just to see what could happen in about 1969. Perhaps it was a couple of Irish mobsters in Hells Kitchen during prohibition using an Eveready with an E10 bulb (prior to the PR). "See thereuh Pauly you can see the guy beforah ya wack 'im".

Who know? However it went the advent of the vintage California cop light took giant steps towards achieving the goal of still seeing light from a mounted light after the first "pow" happened.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    The earliest shotgun mounted light that I can think of (aside form flashlights with frig magnets on the side slapped to the side of a shotgun's receiver) is the high standard model ten A police shotgun from c.1967 which had built in flashlight (2 cell??) and the later B model that had a clamp that took a 2 cell Kel-Lite (although other cell lengths and brands, including Malites would fit in the clamp). apparently the gun was a jam-o-matic and the recoil often blew out the flashlight bulbs.
    Thanks for the info! I stand corrected. I just saw Don's site says he developed the first **aluminum** weapons mounted flashlight.

Mr. Fixer, he's got a pretty cool pic too. I would love to see one of these in action!!

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Thanks for the info! I stand corrected. I just saw Don's site says he developed the first **aluminum** weapons mounted flashlight.

Mr. Fixer, he's got a pretty cool pic too. I would love to see one of these in action!!

Here you go (if you can consider it action?):

...shows why these guns have such a poor reputation.

I'm pretty sure the flashlights used by bank robbers in the movie "Finding Steve MacQueen" were Kel-Lites.

A movie where among other things they showed scenes from a bank vault robbery in 1972 and the bandits were using black tube flashlights that really looked like 3rd gen Kel-Lites. Now the third gen were not out in 72 but at one point I coulda sworn the switch in the scene was the third gen type.

Whatever they were acuracy-wise it was nice to see what looked like vintange California cop lights instead of Eveready Captains or Rayovac Sportsman.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I have found it very interesting!

I'm not sure why, but I'm not able to post pictures now, as I was going to show you my original L.A. Screw Smoke-Cutter (purchased new in 1982, by me) and my original StreamLight SL-20 (purchased new in 1985, by me).

I used them for years, purchasing the StreamLight SL-20 after getting tired of changing the Smoke-Cutters batts all the time, however it (Smoke-Cutter) remained useful, being kept with my bunker gear and getting used regularly for fires, etc.

Thanks for bringing back many memories!
    In a SHTF scenario, the best of plans will go to sh*t, so Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) is the best plan

Very cool, Imgur is the best bet for hosting pics. You can click on the BBC Code link after uploading your pics and past that here.

I'd love to see pics and any stories too! Were/are you a firefighter?

I didn't know until recently that Code 4 is code for "no further assistance required". Basically, everything is all good. Nice marketing slogan for a flashlight geared towards law enforcement professionals. I did a write up on Code 4s with some old advertisements on my blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com...-4-lights.html

I have the contact info for an old Code 4 dealer in TX. I was able to buy some parts off of him. Supposedly he has some NOS lights too but I was never able to quite pry them from his grip. It's where I got most of the adverts and info from too.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314