Brightstar Razor Battery Question

silver_bacon

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a newer generation Bright Razor. The light uses 3 AA batteries. One of the first things I noticed was that the included documentation states the light is to be used only with alkaline batteries. In fact the light has a warning on it that says to use only Duracell MN1500 (alkaline) batteries. I contacted Brightstar directly to see why they advised this. They confirmed that the light is to be used only with alkaline batteries and should not be used with rechargeable batteries but when I asked why they so strongly recommended against using rechargeable batteries they simply repeated that I must use alkalines and stopped responding.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if there is a serious reason not to use the light with rechargeable batteries. I thought maybe the light might be too airtight for rechargeable batteries to ventilate properly but tail cap does not look very airtight. So I assume their reasoning is because the light is intrinsically safe and maybe they just haven't officially tested the light with rechargeable batteries. But I could very well be wrong. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The intrinsically safe part can only be guarnteed when using cells the company has done testing with.
Apparently there is a line of intrinsically safe Duracells.
I have an intrinsically safe "Night Stick" light that says only use a specific model of Duracell batteries (I forget the particular model though). I suppose you are correct about the proper venting (or lack thereof).

Being I only go into confined spaces deemed safe by sniffers I tossed in some Rayovacs in mine. lol.

Now regarding rechargeables... that's probably a voltage thing where too many people toss in vape batteries and then wonder why the light failed. The voltage numbers the emitter was designed around may be pretty narrow so over or under volting may :poof: it.

Last edited: