Holsters not included with many lights anymore including Surefire!

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
I just recently noticed that Surefire is not including holsters with a lot of their lights anymore! And I believe some of the other manufactures are doing the same thing. I just bought a Malkoff MDC HA C123 light and am looking for a nylon belt holster for it. Surefire used to make one for the E1B that should fit it but they no longer include the holster or offer one as an accessory. Does anyone know where I can find a holster that will fit the Malkoff HA C123?

sp5it

Enlightened
What makes you think, that manufacturers will cut their profits by adding free holster? Go, buy one. More profit :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first suggestion would be the 4" flashlight holster from Maxpedition. Your Malkoff is 3.75" in length, so it should be workable, if not perfect. It can be had for under $20, so it's worth a try. I own the 5" model and find that it is one of the better made nylon holsters available.

If you really like your Malkoff and are committed to belt holstering that flashlight long term, you might consider having a custom leather sheath made. Check out Thor's Hammer Custom Leather. The owner is also a member of this forum. His handle is Hogokansatsukan .

Beyond that, the options are limited, as you've no doubt discovered. Most holsters are designed for larger lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just recently noticed that Surefire is not including holsters with a lot of their lights anymore! And I believe some of the other manufactures are doing the same thing. I just bought a Malkoff MDC HA C123 light and am looking for a nylon belt holster for it. Surefire used to make one for the E1B that should fit it but they no longer include the holster or offer one as an accessory. Does anyone know where I can find a holster that will fit the Malkoff HA C123?

The market by and large don't dig on holsters any more. If it did you'd see more lights come with holsters. As fierce as the competition is these days if holsters were a reason to choose this brand or that you'd see lights come with them.

Heck most of the big names stopped even making them.

Blame the belt clip. When seconds count the belt clip is the way for many versus opening a top closed holster up. Velcro is clumsy, buttons scratch the light and open top can lead to droppsys in a foot pursuit.

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
I don't recall SureFire ever including holsters with their lights . . . . or many other US based manufacturers that deal in the realm of military/police issue.
The included holster seems more the milieu of Chinese made torches.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that MDC is the single CR123 one, then Mountain Electronics sells a nice nylon holster that will fit it perfectly. It is the one that has the high user rating. I have ones for my G2 and 6P, and they work just fine.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blame the belt clip. When seconds count the belt clip is the way for many versus opening a top closed holster up. Velcro is clumsy, buttons scratch the light and open top can lead to droppsys in a foot pursuit.
I am somewhat rotund, and I have found that holsters that clip onto a belt have a tendency to unclip themselves as I get into and out of chairs or car seats. That's why all my holsters have feed-thru belt loops. It makes them a little harder to move between different pants, but at least I don't lose the light somewhere.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first suggestion would be the 4" flashlight holster from Maxpedition. Your Malkoff is 3.75" in length, so it should be workable, if not perfect. It can be had for under $20, so it's worth a try. I own the 5" model and find that it is one of the better made nylon holsters available.

If you really like your Malkoff and are committed to belt holstering that flashlight long term, you might consider having a custom leather sheath made. Check out Thor's Hammer Custom Leather. The owner is also a member of this forum. His handle is Hogokansatsukan .

Beyond that, the options are limited, as you've no doubt discovered. Most holsters are designed for larger lights.

My ears were burning. Like lights, good holsters aren't cheap, and cheap holsters aren't good. After being a LEO and firearms instructor for years... it's how I got into leather work. What you put your gear into is as important as the gear itself. I'm constantly having customers say "I'm tired of the crappy nylon sheath that came with the light." This is often from LEOs who use their gear daily, and often are not kind to it. Hazards of the job.
Top quality flashlight manufactures do not include holsters for the same reason custom knife makers generally don't either. People don't buy a custom knife or a high-quality flashlight because of the holster. It is generally, especially among the custom knife makers, that the end-user will get their own that fits their needs, and as such, forgo the added expense of including one of quality.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Velcro just plain sucks on anything except infant's shoes. Belt clips are great, if your light is of a size that it will go in your pocket... to be scratched to heck by your keys, change, and whatever else is in there. Some will dedicate a pocket for their light, but I keep a small semi-auto in one, and a ton of crap in the other. Pocket clips are good on some lights, but most certainly not all.
If the inside of the snap isn't covered to protect the light from scratching in a holster, it's a ****-poor design. If the light can fall out of an open top, then it wasn't designed tight enough. It all falls back on engineering. It's why my holsters aren't cheap and certainly are not for everybody. My entire business started with flashlight holsters because of the lack of decent ones, and this back before LED flashlights had come out.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I am somewhat rotund, and I have found that holsters that clip onto a belt have a tendency to unclip themselves as I get into and out of chairs or car seats. That's why all my holsters have feed-thru belt loops. It makes them a little harder to move between different pants, but at least I don't lose the light somewhere.
Agreed. I prefer belt loops also. I find the metal belt clips sometimes dig into me when I bend over. No need to wear something that hurts.

Leather holsters custom made for the light work better, last longer, and really look nice. Just be careful in NYC. The police there tend to assume the holster contains a knife. I don't mind showing my flashlight but if you don't want to be approached you may want to go with pocket carry. I've never had a policeman ask about a holster anywhere else.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ears were burning. Like lights, good holsters aren't cheap, and cheap holsters aren't good. After being a LEO and firearms instructor for years... it's how I got into leather work. What you put your gear into is as important as the gear itself. I'm constantly having customers say "I'm tired of the crappy nylon sheath that came with the light." This is often from LEOs who use their gear daily, and often are not kind to it. Hazards of the job.
Top quality flashlight manufactures do not include holsters for the same reason custom knife makers generally don't either. People don't buy a custom knife or a high-quality flashlight because of the holster. It is generally, especially among the custom knife makers, that the end-user will get their own that fits their needs, and as such, forgo the added expense of including one of quality.

I have every intention of commissioning flashlight leather from you. Could be a few months, but I guarantee you our paths will cross again. I've got an idea for something unique and I can't wait.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
Unless I'm wearing a swimsuit my Malkoff MDC is clipped in my left front pocket. Would that work for you?

I holster 18650 lights but not the MDC.