McLux PR-T on L1?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the McLux PR-T head screw on and function on an L1? If not, what modifications need to be made?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will fit, but you'll want a "dumb" head with no driver circuit. I don't know what would happen if you put a Badboy-driven head on an L1, but I'd guess it wouldn't work as expected.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
For the head, you can download the assembly instructions from the Shoppe, just skip the part about the installing the Convertor board.

I'm not sure what the anode contact would be since I haven't seen the inside of an L1. Have you tried McGizmo's site yet?

Fount it! web page

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building a battery contact for a PR or PR-T head is not exactly easy. The early-run standard McLux heads included a battery contact assembly, but they won't work in a PR or PR-T without some modification. The problem seems to be that in the standard head there is a space between the top of the ecan and the "bulkhead" that the emitter rests on, which in the original design is where the converter board was to live. This space doesn't exist in the PR head as they are intended to be used with the ecan, in which the converter board itself doubles as the battery contact.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I had hoped to put together some type of simple contact module for making "dumb" heads but I got caught up in other things. I think a properly designed contact assembly would work for both the PR-T heads as well as in conjunction with the E-sink for converting E bezels into dumb heads for the L1. This is still a viable idea but I got so wrapped up in converting the L1's into 2x123 917 turbos that I let the dumb heads fall to the back burner.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, please let me know if you come up with a contact assembly for the PR-T. I just got an L1-BK and would like some extra heads for it! Making the L1 into a 2 cell light would be great too! Any chance you would offer the services?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Is it possible to just turn a derlin spacer and use a small (commonly-available) bolt for the + battery contact with the existing ecan design? The spacer might not snap-fit into the ecan, but even if it has to be held in with epoxy it would be easier than designing a whole new piece.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tyler,

The existing E-can will not go into the cavity in the battery tube.