Can KL5 replace 6P? Good idea or not?

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have been using SF6P for long time, love everthing about the light excetp the diminishing light output throughout the battery life. I wanted something regulated, so I went with KL3, but the output and throw of the KL3 is no where near that of P60. Now, KL5 came out, I want to give it a try. I wonder if I will be disappointed again. Can someone give me some comment and advice?

eel

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
I just check, KL5 is going for $115 USD, What is the life time of the 5W LED? I was expecting it would last forever, Can someone comment of it too? Is it worth the $115?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, the Luxeon V lifespan is 1000 hours. That number represents the average time a five watt emitter will live before its output is 50% of its original brightness. 1000 hours of P60 lamps will cost you a LOT more than $115.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Where did you see a KL5 for $115? I didn't think it was available separately from the L5... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would really like to know if it is available separately.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
IMHO, the KL5 can throw as well and produces a better and smoother side spill than the 6P [w P60 LA]. The KL5 cost is much higher, the size is larger, and the output is much whiter.

I don't think you would have the same disappointment that you experienced with the KL3.

$115 sounds like a too good to be true price, I would expect to pay more than that.

Don't worry about the LED 1,000 hour half-life, long before you reach that half-life there will be much better and cheaper alternatives available.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a KL5, and used it on duty a few times. The output was good, but it lacked the intensity of an incan. There's something about these LED beams that I don't like, and I think it has something to do with the way the human eye perceives it. It LOOKS really bright, but it is harder to distinguish details. Colors appear more true, but can be distorted somewhat due to the LED's light color. I also see a lot more shadows with an LED light, probably due to the lights lack of intensity.

The KL5 puts out a lot of light, but fails when light is needed at extended distances. Sure, it can reach those distances, but lacks the intensity to recognize or distinguish details.

For me, it's a hard concept to explain, and would be better as an in-person example, I guess.

But, based upon my experiences, I wouldn't recommend an LED light for law enforcement tactical use, nor for a weapon light (though I do have a X200 enroute for testing purposes).

--dan

DumboRAT

Enlightened
First, a disclaimer -- I don't own a KL5/L5, but I do own a L6, two KL3s (one modified), and several of the SF 6 and 9-volt incandescents with both LOLA and HOLA setups.

--

Dan's perception is mine as well. With that said, if I had a "Bat Belt," I'd be tempted to carry the L5 as a backup or "alternative" illumination source but to pair it to a P61 HOLA fitted 6P as a primary.

If you're a civvie using this light for general tasks and potentially as an SD tool, and you can sacrifice a bit of throw for a bit more flood, I'd say go for it.

As for the KL3 ?

Remember, just by its specs, it was never intended to fulfill the role that the P60 or P61 lamp assemblies were designed for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's a great long-run, moderate output, general-purpose light, nothing more, but also nothing less.

Keep the head around. I just fell in love with my KL3/C2/Z48 setup during the NE Blackout this past summer/fall.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced my 6P with an L6.(KL6 head) I am not unhappy.
It is however, longer and uses 3 cells but it lasts a lot longer and does not start dimming right away. I haven't seen a comparison of the L5 Vs L6 Vs L4 yet. I am still neww but sinking fast into bright lights that will LAST for a while. L6 vs 6P- I say close.

NikolaTestla

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Lights: ******************* CAREFULL: The last one is NOT UL approved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STREAMLIGHTS: KEY MATE, TTL-2D, TTL-3C, TL3-LED(5watt), STINGER XT-HP,
TTL-2L, TL-3AA (1 watt LED). BRINKMAN LEGEND LX. VECTOR SPORT LIGHT 1 MILLION CP.
SUREFIRE: 6P, L6 (5watt)LED. Cygolite 16 watt dual beam.
MAGLITE 2AA, 3C. Acro X990 HID. NikolaTesla 1.5 KW 1.5 Million Volt Arc light (I have Torus
blown 15KW style primary Arc & 175 amp @ 12.5 KV High Q rated .068uf resonating capacitor)

PoppyGoddess

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6P but I think KL5 is a different animal. Basically, I think they don't serve the same illumination purpose. First of all, the color temperature is different so you get a different light beam on objectives, therefore, things are going to look different. I've tried a few Luxeon lights and personally, I just don't like the color of that LED light. But I think its advantage of long life time is awesome. From what I was told, if I know my 6P light bulb will never burn out, then I'd be very happy.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
That test page ROCKS! There is the proof which is best!
Thanx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
NikolaTesla
My Lights: ******************* CAREFULL: The last one is NOT UL approved.
STREAMLIGHTS: KEY MATE, TTL-2D, TTL-3C, TL3-LED(5watt), STINGER XT-HP,
TTL-2L, TL-3AA (1 watt LED). BRINKMAN LEGEND LX. VECTOR SPORT LIGHT 1 MILLION CP.
SUREFIRE: 6P, L6 (5watt)LED. Cygolite 16 watt dual beam.
MAGLITE 2AA, 3C. Acro X990 HID. NikolaTesla 1.5 KW 1.5 Million Volt Arc light (I have Torus
blown 15KW style primary Arc & 175 amp @ 12.5 KV High Q rated .068uf resonating capacitor)

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The KL5 excells as a light source for the F68 traffic cone. That is because it is regulated and doesn't dim over the life of the batteries, and it's as bright as the P60 lamp assembly. If you frequently use a traffic cone light, I can't think of a better combination than the KL5 with the F68 traffic cone. I use the KL5+F68 with four AA NiMH batteries, a 9P body and three A19's. Saves on batteries when I start taking nightly walks.
oldgrandpajack