Worth the time & additional $$?

prof student

Enlightened
I have a Streamlight 20X & a new never installed Malkoff MD20X (about 4 years old?).

I will need to buy a new battery.

Is it worth buying a new battery & charger, or should I invest in a newer flashlight that is brighter & last longer? What newer flashlights would be comparable? Last year I bought a TK09 2016. Ok beam, 900 lumens. Looking for something with a little more oomph (lumens & beam wise).

Really wouldn't use it much (as you can tell, lol), but with Halloween right around the corner, I might be using it when I take little ones t-o-t.

If y'all recommend staying with what I have, what battery & fast charger would you recommend? (ideally NiMH, so the battery would last a couple of years of intermittent use).

TIA

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you mean an SL20x is the charger bad? If not, just buy a new battery.
If the charger is bad then perhaps consider a Stinger. But the other night I worked with some state troopers who still use their SL20's.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the charger is bad then perhaps consider a Stinger. But the other night I worked with some state troopers who still use their SL20's.

You didn't embarrass them by pulling out one of your lights did you?

prof student

Enlightened

No, the charger is not bad (well, the last time I used it - years ago)

The NiCad battery has been thrown out - that quit holding charge.

I'm just taking opinions/options -
Install the Malkoff drop in (4ish years old, never used)
Buy a NiMH battery & is there a fast charger to charge it?

Or....is there a better drop in than the Malkoff?

Or..........................should I go for a comparable Fenix TK?

As I mentioned above, I have the TK09 2016. Its not bad. Hand held light....900 lumens.....a little blueish for my taste.....not much spill.......

Wondering if its worth putting any money into the SL 20X, even if its just a new battery & fast charger?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight has a 7 hour "smart charger" now (p/n 22407) and your old cord will probably fit it (120v p/n 22060 and 12v p/n 22051)

The battery is the biggest cost. About $35.
A Malkoff SL20 drop in is about as rare as an honest politician so as a collector I'd do it just to giggle like a school kid at the beam, but not very practical for many folks.

Places like eCops, flashlight distributor dot com or zbattery dot com sell Streamlight parts for the classics.

You didn't embarrass them by pulling out one of your lights did you?
No ATL I did not. 2 reasons:
1) My light that evening was a Laser Products 6P with a Malkoff WLL.
2) I was watching over a young girl who broke down on the interstate until the police arrived and as it turns out she was a wanted fugitive, so soon after their arrival they set about tossing the contents of her car (to which later I found out they found drugs, weapons and cash. DOH!!)

arKmm

Enlightened
the other night I worked with some state troopers who still use their SL20's.
You think that's bad, my force doesn't issue torches so a large amount of officers don't even have one. Those who have bought one, will have one dated to the era they joined because they don't want to spend anymore of their own money! You can sort of guage someone's level of service from what they're using! I see incandescent Maglites, un-modded 6Ps and G2s, and for the more recent recruits, Lenser P7s, or most probably; Ultrafire/China-Fire cheapies!

terjee

Enlightened
You think that's bad, my force doesn't issue torches so a large amount of officers don't even have one. Those who have bought one, will have one dated to the era they joined because they don't want to spend anymore of their own money!

For situations like that, part of the time it's not just a matter of the cost for the department, but also that it can be a real pain to deal with purchasing... anything. ;-)

Even when you get past that, there's more inventory to deal with, and so on.

What about kicking up an idea that officers can buy flashlights themselves, and get 3/4 of the purchase price refunded, up to $100/year or whatever? Or $200 first year, $50 each year after that, with rollover.

Sure, there's some paperwork, but it would be significantly easier, and there's no inventory or maintenance when doing it that way.

Being without a flashlight (or 5) seems kinda dangerous to be honest.

arKmm

Enlightened
For situations like that, part of the time it's not just a matter of the cost for the department, but also that it can be a real pain to deal with purchasing... anything. ;-)

Even when you get past that, there's more inventory to deal with, and so on.

What about kicking up an idea that officers can buy flashlights themselves, and get 3/4 of the purchase price refunded, up to $100/year or whatever? Or $200 first year, $50 each year after that, with rollover.

Sure, there's some paperwork, but it would be significantly easier, and there's no inventory or maintenance when doing it that way.

Being without a flashlight (or 5) seems kinda dangerous to be honest.
That'd be nice wouldn't it! It's the same with boots. We don't get them provided so you get a spread from people who buy the cheapest (magnums) and keep buying every few months when they fall apart or those who spend extra to get a good set. They could give everyone a voucher every couple of years but no, that'd take money.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth the time & additional $$?

I had the same light with the malkoff drop in. It was a work of art, if I remember correctly. I didn't use it too much after that and I kick myself regularly for getting rid of it

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which boots do you recommend? The red wings supplied by my dept (when I was there), sucked so I got the magnums instead

arKmm

Enlightened
Which boots do you recommend? The red wings supplied by my dept (when I was there), sucked so I got the magnums instead
There's a few top tier companies who manufacture very high quality footwear. In Europe we have a lot of brands that you wonn't, but in my informed opinion the finest police boots are the Altberg Peacekeeper P1. If you'd like to know more, send me a message so that we don't derail this guy's thread too badly ;)