REAL WORLD REVIEWS – ThorFire PF04

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
REAL WORLD REVIEWS – ThorFire PF04
URL: https://tinyurl.com/y9lwvsa4
================================================================
A brief opening note about the "Real World Reviews"
At this point many fellow "flashaholics" have developed very sophisticated and detailed methods for measuring nearly every conceivable technical aspect of the illumination products on the market. The "Real World Reviews" acknowledge the existence of the detailed technical reviews (and I'll link to them below if I can) but will not re-hash all of that tech data. Instead the focus of the "Real World Reviews" is to take that "laboratory" information out into real world conditions to give the reader an idea of how the numbers translate into actual use.
===============================================================

Technical Review (done by someone else):
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...XP-G2-(R5)-led-210-lumens-(beam)shots-compare
===============================================================

Intended Use: Penlight/Every Day Carry (EDC)
Power Source: 2x AAA Batteries
Average Cost: $20.00 (USD)

What you get:

· Simple package that protects the light well
· Spare "O" ring
· Documentation
· Some documentation

Initial Impression(s):
This light
Arriving in a fairly plain box, but well packaged against damage, I was pleasantly surprised by this light at first view. It is slimmer than I expected and the machining and anodizing are really first rate. This is not the cut-rate knockoff I feared I might be getting. The red anodizing in my sample is bright and nice to look at. Everything appears to be well sealed against casual water intrusion.

The interface is a single clickie that cycles through the modes. It does have one really strange behavior which is that if you bump the light hard it will change modes. I've been told that there is a re-designed switch that doesn't do this but it appears I might have received some "old stock". In practical use this isn't an issue and the light works fine. Unlike the other review, my light sample cycles Low-Med-High easily when clicked and does have mode memory so it comes on where you last left it.

The beam is a very controlled flood with a mild hot spot in the middle. In my sample the emitter was well centered and the reflector and lens are flawless. The beam color has the faintest green tinge but nothing severe, nothing that would interfere with what you are seeing. There is no PWM flicker on the lower light level modes. I am glad because my eyes are extremely sensitive to flicker, it actually will make me feel sick over time which renders lights useless for me.

Output (Per manufacturer):
Mode 1 (1 Lumens/200+hr): suitable for night in-house use or close up map reading.
Mode 2 (50 Lumens/04hr): suitable for "general" indoor flashlight use.
Mode 3 (210 Lumens/50 min): suitable for "general" indoor and outdoor use.
================================================= =================================

The "Standard evening walk" begins with illuminating 5"x5" white plastic test targets affixed to trees in my back yard (see below) and then takes place over either a 1.5 or a 2.5 mile loop on an unlit and mostly open grassy area with a few trees, and then ends going through a short, steep, uphill/downhill gravel trail surrounded by trees and heavy undergrowth which I call the "confidence course".

Target Test
1) 20ft (6 yards / 6 meters):.............................. Illuminated in mode 2+
2) 50ft ( 16 yards / 15 meters):.......................... Illuminated in mode 3+
3) 100ft ( 33 yards / 30 meters):........................ Illuminated in mode 3+
4) 200ft Fence ( 66 yards / 61 meters):............... Beyond designed capability
5) 250ft ( 83 yards / 76 meters):........................ Beyond designed capability
6) 350ft ( 116 yards / 106 meters):.................... Beyond designed capability
Across The Park (approx 250 yards/228 meters): Beyond designed capability
===================================================================================

The Walk
The night was overcast with no moon or stars visible but a faint atmospheric glow from the nearby city. Still, it was dark enough to make unaided walking a challenge and the "challenge course" area was pitch black. Ambient temperature was 41 degrees Fahrenheit with a mild breeze.

I will state right off the bat that Mode 1 (1 Lumens/200+hr) is purely an indoors/close up mode. One lonely lumen doesn't give you much to work with outdoors. Stepping up to Mode 2 (50 Lumens/04hr) gave a nice even spread that was "good enough" for walking on a paved track but I really wish it was closer to 80 Lumens so was glad to be able to jump up to Mode 3 (210 Lumens/50 min) for the "confidence course" part of the trail. Overall the broad but even beam gave nice contrast and I was never in doubt about where I was putting my feet or what was nearby (within 50 ft). This light is actually very suitable for use on evening walks. An additional bonus is that the rubber switch is extremely easy to operate with gloves on your hands.

After the walk I did the usual tests of looking around my cars engine compartment, peering around a computer case and looking inside a heating duct. The light was handy and very functional for all of these tasks.

The lowest setting Mode 1 (1 Lumens/200+hr) combined with good edge control on the beam makes this a fantastic night time "bathroom run" light, capable of being used without disturbing my spouse or dog.

Additionally I took this light to work (I'm an IT technician) where it got used to look around the back part of a warehouse, and peer into the guts of multiple printers looking for (and finding) issues. It was wonderfully pocketable and the bright red anodizing kept me from leaving it behind as I moved to my next task (something I do all the time with my black penlight). I can say without hesitation that this is my new pocket-penlight for work!

CONS:
· Mid-level should be closer to 80 lumens for "general work"
· Tapping the light will cause it to shift modes.
· LED tint has a mild tinge of green, nothing too bad but expectations are high with all LED these days.

PROS:
· Solid construction.
· Common, easy to find, batteries.
· Easy/intuitive interface.
· Solid range of light levels for the intended.
· Excellent beam edge control.
· Good price point for a very solid light.

Summary:
As I stated at the start, I knew almost nothing about ThorFire before this sample and was very pleasantly surprised at the engineering and execution of the light I received. This is a very good design for the "penlight" category, useful and does a good job of balancing the needs of AAA batteries with the desire for a light and slim flashlight. If they can improve the beam tint it will be a home run.

I really think I'll have to keep an eye on this light, my co-workers are going to want to "borrow" it.

Final conclusion:
4 of 5 Photons (RECOMMENDED).