Reviews done on free products

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea reminds me of all the junk popup companies selling on Amazon. Thankfully amazon put an end to those reviews a while back. No more copying and pasting "...I received this product free of charge in exchange for my honest and unbiased review"

But, they have a new trick now. You'll often get a business card or something inside the package telling you how to get an additional item free. You scan the QR code or visit their site, show your review on amazon, and they send it out. Shady.

I don't see the point. If the product sucked, why would you want a second one?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

that version of the marketing plan goes like this
I buy a light, when it arrives there is a coupon for a "free" different light, subject to submitting a review.

in that case, Verified Buyer, just means you bought a different light, not the free one you get in exchange for a review.

bottom line, smart people work in marketing
they offer free stuff, in exchange for reviews
its just business

markr6

Flashaholic

I didn't say it sucked. And it's usually stuff where claims are hard/impossible to verify. Like vitamins, supplements, shampoo, etc. Why not? I'm straying from flashlights, but let's include that. If it sucks, it's still a flashlight. Give to a kid, spare for the garage, etc.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If their stuff doesn't suck, why are they bribing people for fake 5 star reviews? Even if the product doesn't suck (not likely), the company does.

Another scam is paying for phony 1 star reviews on competitor's listings – 1 star reviews can really hurt people selling good products.

markr6

Flashaholic
Reminds me of the pyramid marketing scams. I have a co-worker that goes full in on one. Annoying watching them work on that crap in Photoshop 50% of the day.

Chadder

Enlightened
I kind of enjoy watching all of the flashlight videos where guys admit they got a free light out of the review.
I actually came to CPF after reading the many reviews of Doug P at flashlight reviews (I don't even think the page exists anymore). I watched the hundreds of reviews from selfbuilt. The serious reviewers should get free products to review. I find that many people are honest about the product they review both good and bad.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of enjoy watching all of the flashlight videos where guys admit they got a free light out of the review.
I actually came to CPF after reading the many reviews of Doug P at flashlight reviews (I don't even think the page exists anymore). I watched the hundreds of reviews from selfbuilt. The serious reviewers should get free products to review. I find that many people are honest about the product they review both good and bad.

Nothing wrong with those kind of reviews – I used to do some myself on other forums. Decent reviews take a lot of time, effort and often some expense - you have to earn the item you got for free. After while, a lot of reviewers stop doing the reviews despite the "free" stuff