Fenix Service recommending Vaseline to lube o-rings?

Felahri

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone.

So I just cleaned my light (ld12 2017) with rubbing alcohol. I then emailed both Fenix Service and my local dealer (Fenix Tactical) on what to replace the o-ring lube with. Both responded with Vaseline. And when I asked Fenix Service if it would damage the o-ring, they said no.

I also found a Fenix maintenance video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxuCB1XCn4 and the stuff the technician is using seems to be Vaseline too.

Anyone ever used Vaseline to lube their Fenix o-rings? I could make a trip to the nearest hardware store for some Super-Lube... but I have Vaseline right here at home.

What do y'all think I should do?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone.

So I just cleaned my light (ld12 2017) with rubbing alcohol. I then emailed both Fenix Service and my local dealer (Fenix Tactical) on what to replace the o-ring lube with. Both responded with Vaseline. And when I asked Fenix Service if it would damage the o-ring, they said no.

I also found a Fenix maintenance video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxuCB1XCn4 and the stuff the technician is using seems to be Vaseline too.

Anyone ever used Vaseline to lube their Fenix o-rings? I could make a trip to the nearest hardware store for some Super-Lube... but I have Vaseline right here at home.

What do y'all think I should do?
I use nyogel 760G and have for years. Expensive, but I have a lot of lights (and other things) I use it with and the tube I have will probably last me the rest of my life.

I believe you can order much smaller jars these days. [h=1][/h]

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
Once upon a time combining petroleum products with rubber was a no-no. However, I'm not a chemical engineer and the chemical makeup of o-rings has changed/improved over time and will vary greatly by application. If the manufacturer says Vaseline is acceptable then go for it. I doubt it will hurt to use it for a few days while you wait for some Nyogel to arrive. ;) A tube of that will last for many, many clean/lube cycles.

Dan

Last edited:

Tricolour

Newly Enlightened
These days O-rings are available in many different materials such as PTFE, Nitrile (Buna), Neoprene, EPDM and Fluorocarbon (Viton) etc.

I have scrubbers systems in amine curing casting applications pumping conc H2SO4 with O-ring seals.

I use a touch of Vaseline on my torch O-rings just to compensate for the stiction and the occasional poor thread.

No issues.

E.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did you ask the manufacturer what to use if you're not going to follow their recommendation? I personally just bought a small tube of Permatex Dielectric grease from my local auto parts store. If Fenix says use Vasoline...well, why not use it?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised at the vaseline recommendation. The stuff turns to liquid as soon as it warms up a little, and it gets hard and sticky if you use it in the cold. I suppose if these are fixed o-rings that do not have something like a body tube sliding across them, vaseline would be okay. Otherwise, I'd want to use a grease with more consistency in its viscosity.

Felahri

Newly Enlightened
Got it, mod.

Just an update: I ended up going with the manufacturer's recommendation and used the Vaseline. I applied under the o-ring with a toothpick and then on the outside with my fingers. Used a folded piece of paper to scrape the excess in the o-ring groove. Just a thin film is left and everything is a-okay smooth and waterproof.

Will update if anything changes, which I doubt... I just found it odd that the manufacturer would recommend something that I've read to be a no-no.

Thanks for the input.