Reflectors for 5mm LED's

Velcro

Enlightened
Reflectors for 5mm LED\'s

Does anyone here have any experience with reflectors for 5mm LED's?

200_160_reflektor_5mm.jpg

reflector.jpg

Is there any difference between the shiny silver one and the opaque?
How do these things effect the beam?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Re: Reflectors for 5mm LED\'s

I've never played with 5mm LEDs and reflectors enough to answer your question but where did you get those reflectors?

Thanks

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have toyed with a few--but they didnt appear as nice as those in your pics.

generally, i dont like shiny reflectors because they seem to make an ugly/ringy beam. they do throw better, and brighten/concentrate the beam a bit, though.

i prefer an opaque/non-reflective "reflector", and have used minimag reflectors with the chrome sanded off.

a faceted/textured reflector works well.

Bob

Kram

Newly Enlightened

Velcro,

I've used the shiny ones. They do collect and throw more light toward the front. You may, though, see rings around the central hotspot, particularly if you use a focusing lens, too.

Still, I think they serve their purpose (i.e. reducing the waste of photons).

I've read that the white ones work pretty well, too, and that you don't get the same kinds of artifacts. No personal experience on this, though.

Mark

RGBrainbow

Newly Enlightened

Hi,
and with a little machining the silver ones are great for luxeons. Just remove the cylindric LED-holder until the hole fits the luxeon dome.
regards
joachim

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

I have used many smaller reflectors from various lights with 5MM LEDs.I usually had to sand them down a little to fit what ever host they would fit in.I got the best results by lightly sanding the shiny side off and then painting it with a silver/grey paint.The paint did not do much for actual throw or reflection but it did look nice.
The result is a nice hot spot with a smooth corona.
The beam is almost just like my Ultra-G with the exception of a smaller corona.
If you can get one out of the bezel the Dorcy AAA has a pretty good reflector in it as it is kind of deeper than many others.The only problem with these are it is a little ringy but when sanded it looks great.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've only ever used the shiny ones, but I like them a lot. You can't cram as many LED's into the array though.

One thing they are not is heat tolerant though. The heat generated by an LED is no problem, but I used some hot glue to pot an array of them once and it crazed the silvering which basically stopped reflecting. So don't do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I got mine from http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Leds.htm but it looks like they don't make the silvered kind anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StuU

Enlightened

Results vary with the specific led. Some of the whites produce a better beam. Other times you get no change or a bunch of rings.

Not real exciting overall.