everled/side emitter/how made

turbodog

Flashaholic
I was swapping batteries in my tec 40 and noticed a problem with my everled bulb. There was a crack in the emitter. It seems the hourglass shaped thingy is LOOSE! My question is... are side emitters simply some type of lens that is glued to the top of a regular luxeon?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yes, side-emitters are a type of acrylic optic (somewhat hourglass-shaped) affixed to a bare LS LED. This particular optic is designed to use the reflector found in most incandescent flashlights to produce the beam.

I took my EverLED bulb out of the Turtlelite II clone and examined it, and did not see an easy way to remove this optic. If yours is broken, your best bet is to return it to LED Supply and ask for a replacement.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
All three forms of the Luxeon emitter have the "lens" as part of their construction from Luxeon. The pdf spec. sheet speaks of Batwing (known here as low dome or LD), Lambertian (known as High Dome or HD), and Side Emitter (aka SE).

The pdf also shows something of the construction.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
can't see 2nd file... security problem

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. The same drawing is on the first pdf anyway.

14C

Enlightened
I think I saw your posts while I was Anon. You may have gotten a bad luck draw and since then they have polarity protection.

The unit I got was intact and still is despite a drop...two actually...

I almost went to buy all the colors one night when I saw the different colors available but then I found the TerraLUX white and have been waiting....Dan Legg at Tactical Warehouse sent me an email saying it'll be here as soon as he gets it...:)

I am mighty impressed with the EverLED so far and hope to be more so with my latest purchase

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google shows me this:
http://www.terralux.biz/products/index.htm

That 2 Luxeon bulb does look interesting, I'll look forward to reading about your experiences. Heat, naturally, would be what I'd think would cause a problem. The EverLED is, I presume, half the power and yet gets rather hot in a MagLite...hotter than I'd prefer, but OK.

Then again, the Sears Craftsman aluminum 3D flashlight has more than enough heatsinking ability for an EverLED, and might be great for that terralux.

14C

Enlightened
I have run the MAG 3 C for an hour..standing on it's tail..so far with no problems...I tried it for 15 minutes without the head...like a candle...it was ok...

While I was a bit worried about it..after an hour with the reflector head on it seemed cooler than it ever got with a krypton bulb.

Just my experience....proof is in the pudding and it's still cooking.....