Is Maratac Made in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked on the website, and nowhere does Countycomm.com claim that their products are Made in USA. The Maratac packaging does not say Made in USA either.

This is what a Certified Made in USA sticker looks like:
44350945701_ee7b710359_b.jpg

Here is a Maratac, it has no Made in USA sticker
42543239440_0dee1995e1_h.jpg

Here is a Lumintop Tool, made under contract for Massdrop, a USA company. They do not claim the light is Manufactured, Produced, nor Made in USA.
42543239510_d4596eb0d5_h.jpg

Notice both have a plastic bag of similar size, and both use a case of similar design. Note also that both lights come in a foil package that is the same. And both lights have identical pocket clips.
42543239320_04ec8fcfdf_h.jpg

The heads are interchangeable, and the LEDs are the same type, and same brightness also.

this site may be educational
https://www.themadeinamericamovemen...ied/difference-between-assembled-made-in-usa/
"Distributed for, Manufactured for, or a Product of (COMPANY NAME)
Since this has no statement of American origin, actual or implied, it cannot be considered to be USA made.
"

So, does a statement like this mean the Maratac is Made in USA?:
"The light is manufactured in Sunnyvale"

imo, No

Does anyone have any information to indicate that Maratac is Made in USA?

afaict, Countycomm is a USA company that has the Maratac made to their specifications, by Lumintop. I still really like my Maratacs and Tools, imo they are great lights, just not Made in USA.

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
Of course I want to know this as well.

I had asked Mike at county Comm. he said yes, "made in USA". If we choose to automatically disbelieve people that is our prerogative. I have no reason to believe it is not. It looks similar to a lumintop but it is actually machined much different if you look closely. The quality may be too good for China. No insult though.

What I want to know: Rev4 Cu aaa is said to be same as Rev5 Ti. Now there is Rev5 Cu. Rev4 Cu states 138-145Lm whereas Rev5 states 170Lm. Rev4 Cu should be 219"c" given this but perhaps the forward voltage is less. Of course either is not that much but that is not my point. It is possible that these are all the same thing and this place is just shady. This is if we chose to believe ourselves and not what they say. I am saying perhaps this is a company we cannot trust? Of course let's give them the benefit of the doubt and not slander them without exact knowledge.

What blows this away and the Olight too for that mater. Surefire Titan Plus. It is rated at 300lm and does not step down. In usual surefire fashion it is reading 427Lm. It is not much bigger than these and on sale at Amazon for $70. Same price as Maratac at Amazon. It has neutral white but not as good as 219. Close though. It is obviously a better light if you are looking for one that is about the same price. Oh, it is certainly Made in USA too.

Last edited:

shdeu

Newly Enlightened
What blows this away and the Olight too for that mater. Surefire Titan Plus. In usual surefire fashion it is reading 427Lm. It is not much bigger than these and on sale at Amazon for $70. Same price as Maratac at Amazon. It has neutral white but not as good as 219. Close though. It is obviously a better light if you are looking for one that is about the same price. Oh, it is certainly Made in USA too.

The only test I've ever seen of Titan Plus lumen output read 260lm on high mode, not 427. Where did you get that number?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?407689-TITAN-PLUS/page12&p=4754201#post4754201

It is rated at 300lm and does not step down.
Of course this is impossible for an AAA flashlight, and runtime graphs prove it. Here is Titan Plus dropping to 50% within 3 minutes:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?407689-TITAN-PLUS/page15&p=4766846#post4766846

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder why not display it proudly on any of the packaging or light if so. Usually a selling point. Guess that is the reason for the doubt. Maybe they have some reason being a contractor for the gov?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

sir, you are off topic again
please try to focus on the thread title you are responding to

you also make all sorts of wild and unsubstantiated claims about lumens, while frequently criticizing Chinese production. This makes you a not credible witness and Im inclined to ignore your posts in the future.

If you want to make a useful contribution, post evidence, not hearsay. Your statements are not supported by any evidence.

and btw, it is not cool to repost any private email you may have received, nor do I believe your comment as to what you say Mike said. The bottom line is there is No indication on the packaging, nor on the website, claiming that Maratac is Made in USA.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I would be very confident in saying i would have thought made in China.................To be made in the USA, would at least double the costs imo. As long as the spec is to spec! Then its not an end of the world thing for me.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Sorry I offended anyone. I didn't mean to. I may have gathered misinformation. I didn't think it was ot because I was saying what is comparable but certainly made in usa. I did not divulge the email I just said what he told me. plus he would be proud of that not like I shared secrets. Who knows. the thing is pretty decent imo not everyone always needs a ton of lumens. threads etc do lead me to think it is usa but honestly have no idea. I will just leave it at that. Obviously you guy's like it or we would not be discussing it all the time. if it was junk no onw would care about it. it is decent. nothing exactly like it really afaik. I know some similar but not exactly the same. It seems like a good deal to me. Just confused about the Rev's. That's all. I apologize and did not mean to offend anyone. please just forget about it.

ven

Flashaholic
I missed the bit about asking them direct, if they say they are, no reason to not believe that :)

nitebrite

Enlightened
I like this light. It is nearly a custom light imo. I mean the Maratac. I did not know of it until 3 days ago. I know this may be ot but you said Titan throttled. It did not, it was the batteries. Neither does the Maratac of course. The Maratac is much easier on the battery. Put a lithium aaa in it and it will run full power over 2 hours. Full power is not much but I still find it useful for things. I feel it is a very well built light. Nice if made in USA but not a requirement of mine. I just wish I knew if I have a 219b or c. It is Rev4 Cu. Does not really matter the thing is not so bright. Still has it's uses. Like find keyhole and not blind yourself.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this light. It is nearly a custom light imo. I mean the Maratac. I did not know of it until 3 days ago. I know this may be ot but you said Titan throttled. It did not, it was the batteries. Neither does the Maratac of course. The Maratac is much easier on the battery. Put a lithium aaa in it and it will run full power over 2 hours. Full power is not much but I still find it useful for things. I feel it is a very well built light. Nice if made in USA but not a requirement of mine. I just wish I knew if I have a 219b or c. It is Rev4 Cu. Does not really matter the thing is not so bright. Still has it's uses. Like find keyhole and not blind yourself.
You should be able to tell 219b vs c visually by different color base.

219c: http://www.futurelightingsolutions....NICHIAAMERICA7067263&Catalog=FutureStore&IM=0
219b: http://www.futurelightingsolutions....NICHIAAMERICA8067262&Catalog=FutureStore&IM=0

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed the bit about asking them direct, if they say they are, no reason to not believe that :)

let me give you a couple of reasons not to believe that, no evidence, and conflicting hearsay reports, from the same single witness:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-impressions&p=5237802&viewfull=1#post5237802
From Maratac:

"I just got my light. two things. nowhere on the light, nor the case, does it say "made in usa". where is it made? and it doesnt go l,m,h, it's m,l,h"

>"Hello! Thanks for your purchase!
The light is manufactured in Sunnyvale, CA right here in the blessed United States of America.
And yes you're correct the lite is med/lo/hi. This was most requested by our customers because Med is most used. Let us know what else we can do!

Maratac
Manufactured is not the same as Made

I had asked Mike at county Comm. he said yes, "made in USA".

you changed the wording sir, and nowhere on the website or the product does it mention that Maratac is Made in USA. you have zero evidence, and hearsay in which you have been inconsistent as to what you say was said

IF Mike used the word Manufactured, as you said at first, then this site may be educational
https://www.themadeinamericamovemen...ied/difference-between-assembled-made-in-usa/
"Distributed for, Manufactured for, or a Product of (COMPANY NAME)
Since this has no statement of American origin, actual or implied, it cannot be considered to be USA made.
"

So, does a statement like this mean the Maratac is Made in USA?:
"The light is manufactured in Sunnyvale"

imo, No

does this statement mean Made in USA?:
"The light is Produced in Sunnyvale"

again, technically No, that does not qualify to mean Made in USA

at the end of the day, there is nothing in writing on the packaging nor the website for Maratac, that claims the light is Made in USA. The only claims to that effect have been hearsay with no supporting evidence.

Again, NoWhere does countycomm claim that the AAA or AA Maratac is Made in USA.

----
another example, Maratac CR123, nothing about being Made in USA on the packaging:
43719030862_650cd680fa_h.jpg

inside the box
43719033652_e1398c6521_h.jpg

inside the foil, this beautiful copper hunk:
29896800878_9c33825284_h.jpg

On my lightmeter, the max output is 238 lumens, despite the website claim of 450 lumens.

it is still a beautiful copper light, no matter where it is made, and no matter what its output actually is

the XP-G3 is not my favorite, and its not High CRI, but this is not a light I would actually carry much, although it does feel good in my hand, its on the heavy side for my personal edc preferences
29896797468_8f7311d50e_h.jpg

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
No problem. No reason to go off on me. You can see that on Amazon where the "manufacturer" replied to the question "is this made in the USA". So it is not hearsay. If you insist it is Chinese, so be it. It is still fine with me. However when I mention better US made lights you get upset too and call OT. Just ignore me if you want.

Dan, thank you. Don't have it here right now but will check later. Actually I may not wish myself C as I hear B was better?

nitebrite

Enlightened
Dude, I am not sure what you have there. No kidding, not fooling around. Maybe that is made in China or who knows where. Mine does not look anything at all like yours. Mine claims 145Lm and puts out more than that. About 180 or so. It is still not much by todays standards. I do agree with no made in USA on package though. Usually that is bragging rights. Me, no bias though. I would not say Olight is better, but if you like it better that is your right. Olight is absolutely made in China. We know that much. You want made in China? Also, I wish you would not refer to me as "sir" in a disrespectful manner. Like I said I will not miss you if you ignore me. Unless, as noted you have a bad day. In that case I am sorry about that. I will give you Olight looks much nicer than that thing. Advice: Stop buying $40 lights all day, buy a $200-$300 one and be done. Made in USA.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon? You alright today?

lol, thanks for checking
I might need to increase my medications
I seem to have a low tolerance for innacuracy atm

do you think I should ask to be restrained?.. lol

... multiple hotlinked photos removed ...

.... but I dont know if he was to have parts made in China, and shipped to USA, where a light might be assembled from those parts, whether it would not be possible for Countycomm to then claim that the Peanut is Made in USA..

there might be a loophole involved with parts being outsourced, and then assembled in USA.. not sure

In any case countycomm clearly posts Made In America on their Peanut ad, but not on their AAA,
AA, and CR123 Maratacs.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
It's fine to discuss and debate and even speculate a bit, within reason, but try not to personalize these issues on here.

We want CPF to be a friendly place ... ;)

nitebrite

Enlightened
Completely fair Archimedes. That is why I have been here 15 years or so. Other forums they allow "wars" and I do not like that because I take it personally. I know I shouldn't but people can hurt each others feelings and there is no reason for that.

I am sorry. I hope you give me a break Jon. Yes, the AAA in the Amazon ad is what I got. I am reasonably convinced they are "assembled" in USA. Hardly or almost nothing is "made" in USA anymore. The difference being the law. If at least 60% of the content is sourced from USA and it is put together in the USA it is considered "assembled" in USA. "Made" in USA denotes 100% of the product is sourced from and built in the USA. That pretty much no longer exists on anything. To be fair most Japanese cars are made in USA go figure. I do not know if it is a patriotic matter. That is a different story. Since even if these are made in China they are of exemplary quality. Can we agree on that at least? To tell you the truth I do not think either of us will ever be convinced because we don't want to be I guess. Does it really matter though? I mean Maglite is USA assembled and is decent but not as good as these IMO. I really don't know but I give up. Solely because I am not totally convinced either. It is a nice little light regardless IMO.

I am sorry you were upset. I do not mean to make enemies with you. The truth is, we are on the same page here. I agree with you but we might both be wrong. Who knows. We may never know. I do tell you honestly though I am happy, it is well built and putting out a little more light than it says but not much by todays standards. I want to try a 10440 but scared. I am contemplating it. Although this might be the Bin. since yours is putting out less light. Or could be cheap Chinese driver not all regulated the same ETC. Many factors. No big deal, it is not much light.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I might have our answer unfortunately, as we expected. Some Reylight AAA come in the same exact case as the MARATAC AAA. Also this company is making a very good effort to hide. Of course this is in fact most certainly hearsay. Just keeping honest to the best of my knowledge. I have good reason as I have maintained to believe this is made in China. In fact, it is probably Lumintop, Reylight. Nonetheless it is good quality. One reason the output does not matter much. No current AAA batteries can supply enough voltage to power much. They will sharply drop off. In ten minutes the SF Titan Plus is at 40Lm. I eat my words. The bottom line is I believe these are Chinese if that is what matters. Personally I would care more to carry US made lights. Even if this is good quality. Also very upset they lied $70 on amazon for Rev4. They stated there is no Rev5 cU and there in fact is. Not really much brighter and perhaps better off with 219B. Not sure. Meanwhile Carrying something like Photon Phanatac or even Surefire for that matter personally does myself more justice. Regardless of if the Maratac is well built indeed.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitebrite
Please accept my sincere apology for taking you to task over labelling and origin of the Matatac.

I look forward to sharing info and learning more together. Were in this flashoholic world together.

Lets get back to enjoying our lights tigether.

Peace brother

Status
Not open for further replies.