[Review] Fenix CL23 Lantern ... 3xAA + 300lm + Down & Front lights

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
This is the newest addition to the growing Fenix lantern series, this one featuring 3XAA for extended runtimes off the grid.

Link to manufacture product page: http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=3281&tid=31&cid=30#.W6snNGhKjIU

Overview

Overall, I really like 3XAA format and the extended runtimes. The light has some interesting modes such as front light, and a separate down light. The light is a very good at up-close and it works pretty good as an area/tent light but when hung up in the peak of a tent the down light is a bit too dim for my taste and the main beam pattern hits the ceiling more than pointing down, somewhat decreasing the available light.

Quick Specs

The light uses 1, 2, or 3xAA batteries, Alkaline or NiMH (aka typical rechargeable). The runtime numbers in the table below are likely for NiMH so expect weaker performance from Alkaline.

Features

Included

• CL23 Lantern
  • Keychain/clasp
  • 3xAA Alkaline batteries
  • Spare O-ring
  • Manual
  • Warranty Card

Options

There are two body colors, red and green.

Price

Current price is about $40 USD

Look & Feel

Outside

Inside

Main comment is that the top cap can be hard to unscrew because of both the smooth grip on the outer plastic and the tight seal. Notice that the batteries are in parallel so you can you use 1, 2, or 3 cells, but you can't access HIGH on 1xAA.

Optics

LED specs

No info is provided on the LEDs used in the light.

Beam Profile

Main beam: 83° FWHM
Bottom beam: 70° FWHM
Side beam: 138° FWHM

FWHM=the angle at which light output has reached 50% of maximum.

Note that the side beam never goes down to 0% because the diffuser scatters light in pretty much all the way behind itself
Currently, these readings are strictly sensor recorded, and are not adjusted based on human perception of light.

Main Beam

Down Beam

Side Beam

Tint

The main LEDs are more neutral than I expected, which is a nice surprise! The down light is down right neutral lol. On the right is the Nichia 219B in the Nitecore MT06MD penlight.

Output Levels

Below is a video going through the different levels.

Outdoor Beamshots

All the pictures below are taken with the light in is corresponding brightest setting.

Performance

Runtimes

The light stays very close to 100% for a solid 6 min before slowly declining to 50% at 53 min; then levels out at 17.5% at the 7 hour mark where it ends.
This runtime test was run using 2000mAh NiMH rechargeable Panisonic Eneloops.

Temperature

A max temp of 89.4°F was observed for High.

PWM Check

There appears to be no significant PWM on any constant mode. For comparison, the second graph shows PWM varying from 0 to 120 lx on the LOW mode on the Nitecore R25 flashlight.

Flashing/Beacon

There are no special modes.

User interface

Overall, the UI is very easy to learn and use as most of the modes are in a single primary cycle and thankfully the light has mode memory so you don't have to scroll back to your previous mode! To get to red, while ON double click the switch. Pretty neat that there is a "Front" mode where you can have a bit of directionality of the main light.
Some UI features it doesn't have are: white flashing modes like SOS or beacon, there's no electronic lockout (only physical), no shortcut to low, and no battery indicator light.

Conclusions

Highlights

• 3xAA format is very unique
  • Good neutral tint
  • So many light sources (main, down, front, and red)
  • Straight forward UI

Comments

• No battery indicator
  • Lid is a little hard to open
  • Perhaps a magnetic base would be nice
  • Maybe a rubber base would be nice

Notes

Disclaimers:

• CivilGear Reviews received this product from Fenix-Store.com testing and providing an honest review.
  • CivilGear Reviews was not paid for writing this review.

Last edited:

Silvo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your review. There are some interesting features on this light. I personally would like to see a lower low on the white light. It would be nice to see some pics of the cl23 beside other lanterns or common items to get a better sense of how small this lantern is.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.
I bought a CL23 two days ago, I am looking forward to seeing it.
I waited a long time before buying it because I already have a CL25R which I use little.
I bought the CL23 just to use it in an emergency (I have a large amount of Eneloop)
Maybe a little disappointed by the bright red level? On some Youtube videos many reviewers criticize this (only 1 lumens) on CL23 and CL26
I still can't judge but it could be true, my CL25R has 1.5 lumens in red and visibility is sufficient but not optimal.
Very happy with the red led of the CL09, it is powerful.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CL23 has been delivered.
After trying it I can say that it is a beautiful lantern, I like it.
Only disappointment is the red light too low (only 1 lumens)
I agree with the author of the review, a cap with a better grip would have been easier to open and close.