Stinger DS LED disassembly

A friend left his Streamlight Stinger DS LED out in the rain. He brought it over to me and said it no longer works. I've taken it apart as far as I can but I'm not sure how to get the head off. Does the head come off?

4DMag-Lite

Newly Enlightened
A friend left his Streamlight Stinger DS LED out in the rain. He brought it over to me and said it no longer works. I've taken it apart as far as I can but I'm not sure how to get the head off. Does the head come off?

The lens part of the head should untwist off. Streamlight does offer lifetime warranty on most of their products. Last week I just sent in my HP LED, the LED started to discolor and would emit smoke. It was covered under the warranty. Might not be a bad idea to give them a call and send it in.

Didn't know about the lifetime warranty. Turns out that the lens and reflector assembly does unscrew from the front of the head. Next, there is a heavy aluminum ring that is removed with a spanner wrench or in my case a pair of needle-nose pliers. The guts however are removed by unscrewing the two number 1 Phillips head screws which also Act has battery charging contact points on the head. Then the guts are available to be pushed from the rear to the front and everything comes out. Once I got it apart I found water and moisture everywhere. Also, the battery was completely dead. Reading only one third of 1 volt.

Last edited:

4DMag-Lite

Newly Enlightened
Their warranty is pretty decent. I sent my HP to them on the 17th and they received it on the 22nd. They completed the work and shipped it out on the 23rd. I should have it back by Friday the latest.

Clean it up with some distilled water, and then hit with some rubbing alcohol. The distilled water should remove any grime and minerals from the rain water, and the rubbing alcohol should dry any remaining moister and water.

If you have to replace the switch assembly I found something that should work on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YTOZ6J8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited: