1 Watt UFO ?? Specs, avail...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
mark hannah has them. www.moreleds.com. You must use optics, refecltor won't work because of how their shaped. Their aren't as bright as Luxeons, and you can't really over drive them. 350ma max drive. Not sure about color etc but they use something simalar to the old LD phosphur coating.. They are cheap though, so if you don't need the best then there you go.. That's all I know..

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped by quick to tell you some results of testing these.
remember i am just a moran, dont ask me for facts or pics, i am just trying to relay some info, agree with everyone and all.

i got 5 UFOs for about 5.50$ all in white.

at 350ma they work just fine, they are not at all as bright as a lexuon thing, they handled overdriving to about 540ma BUT they dont get crud brighter.

so here is my comparison.
lexeun thing i can take it past the 350 to 500 and it gets much brighter, UFO not.
i can take a lexeon to 750, and it gets brighter again, of course i am probably about to fry it :)

ufo seem like it might handle the 750, but i dont want to fry anymore leds, i stoped at 540 and it was very hot.

i didnt get any lenses for it, so its just the board with and led stuck on it :) the ones i have are very wide, like 60-90* and spill out the sides a bit too,but mostly in a very nice smooth round wide circle.
at 350 it is just hot enough sitting free in the air, to bite your finger in heat as your finger cools it, only in the center. in free air the aluminum backing on it seems completly sufficent to cool it.
ran them at 500 in free air, they will toast your fingers then, but its own small sync was enough to cool it still.

batch color was mostly consistant, they are the usual bluish, but not bleeding in blues greens or anything.
like some of the other whites will get more blue as they are driven higher, the ufo does not.

like sombody said they are cheap, well they are cheap, i know what your thinking and the answer is NO, chances are you wont like them if you want extreeme efficiency, and/or overdrivability with results.

on the other hand, and applying some logic, it could be possible that there is more available phosphors, and phosphors live less time than leds do, so mabey they have thier good points.

comparing them to those new 8mm 4x parrellel leds , i would say that Power vs light Output i would rather have 2 8mm instead.

i donno what to tell you , again other than if you get them to USE, get LOTS :) and have some power source for running them, and dont bother overdriving them.

i am not saying they suck, they have thier purpose, and might have some great qualities, but most of all its great that there is any type of competition, and more effort made to the technology.

THANKS to this forum for all the INFO and even all the dumb links that some people might hate. some of us dont LIVE LEDS so the info provided here and the mods, and the pics and everything is VERY helpfull. thanks everybody.

here is my VERY OLD led video light , project, hey it works.
http://www.boomspeed.com/leds/index.html

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if 1 $10 1w luxeon would equale the output of 2 of these?

I want to see someone try out the UV 395nm UFO's!! I wonder how well they perform? Hey it's the closet we got to a UV luxeon/nichia 1w... Roithnier lasertechnik has them.

Also Mark has new HD UFO's... looks like the lens is just raised up more...