Nursing alternative?

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
My dad had a stroke recently and lost the ability to eat (with mouth) and walk as well as some mental capacities. Though he's able to communicate (somewhat), he will have to be fed through the stomach (G-tube). However, we found the nursing home he now uses is too expensive (USD4,600 per month!). I was wonedering are their cheaper yet quality alternatives in Orange County, California?

Alan Hsu

B@rt

Flashaholic
I don't know if your dad would qualify for it, but here there is homecare for that sort of situations. I believe this is the US alternative of it. NAHC.
It might be worthwhile to check it out.

Hopefully there will some sort of recovery of the stroke.
Best wishes,

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider an adult home care provider. These generally have 1-8 adults who need care, but are not so labor intensive as a nursing home patient might be.

Usual cost in our area 1500-3000/month, depending on level of care needed.

The feeding tube complicates things some, so expect it to be a little more.

Bill

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
When My father became an invalid, I just moved in to take care of him myself. (Of course it helped that my business was entirely internet based and I could do it anywhere)

In addition to helping him in order to maintain his dignity and emotional needs, It was easy to determine that financially it made sense. I wasn't making anywhere near the $5,500 a month that the local nursing home charged for a shared room, nor even the $4,000 a month that the "snake pit" in the nearest city charged. His financial status was such that there would be no "public aid" for him.

The four years I took care of him were pretty stressful for me, But, I figure I saved his "estate" $265,000. And even if I had been making $10,000 a month I might have made the same choice, because I was able to make his last few years more tolerable for him than if he had just been put out of sight and out of mind in some facility.