Purple LEDs - What are my options?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi

I currently have a PhotonII purple LED. I like PhotonII's and a really like purple LED's but as I use it a lot and the batteries appears to have drained faster than other Photons I've got, I'd like to know:

1) Do purple LEDs eat batteries faster than other colours?

2) Are there any other purple LED mini-flashlight such as ArcAAA or whatever?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Al

P.S.
uv LEDs may be an option...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I know of, unless you want UV leds. I like purple light a lot. I wish lumileds had a purple luxeon. AFAIK purple leds are blue with a red phosphur on them...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, would the Inova X5 (2-123) be too big for you? Five nice UV Leds.Lotsa <font color="purple">purpley</font> light from those 123s.-Pocketable, but forget the keychainability of your Photon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Purple LEDs should not eat any more power than violet, blue, blue-green, true green, or white LEDs.
ETG sells them, and I have a web page about one right here.
The part number is ETG-5AX420-15 and should be available from ETG if you ask for them.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I could get an X5 in uv I guess. I think I'd get a Photon in uv though... I was hoping that Arc made them (or make them?) as the AAA format would be great for my intended application.

Can an ArcAAA be retrofitted?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a difference in purple and UV. Many UV lights don't emit a great deal of visible light, but they are producing UV light that can be used in applications like curing. I don't know enough about the different wavelengths as to which are more visible, but the point is you can be fooled by thinking that there's very little light being emitted from a UV light, when there is actually enough present to do permanent damage to your eyes without your even knowing it.

The ARC AAA UV is not very bright as far as projecting light, but uses a high quality UV LED.

Someone in the dealer section has a killer sale on the Innova UV now.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real UV in shortest wavelength being as short as 257nm. Longer goes to something like >400.

Ya want just purple? -try to find a 420nm LED. still some longwave UVA emitting, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

-just my 2cents

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well I want purple but uv is another route. This is just for fun so it has to be compact and light weight. It won't be in peoples' eyes since it's directed at the floor. Kinda like the undercar lights you see on Police Cars at the boy-racer meetings. The Police have better light shows then the boy-racers!!

Al

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
The ARC AAA UV is not very bright as far as projecting light, but uses a high quality UV LED.

Someone in the dealer section has a killer sale on the Innova UV now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer is Chris at Meridian Tactical.

Al: ARC does sell UV versions of their AAA lights, but I believe that the minimum order is 200 or 250 (can't remember at the moment). I'm not sure if you can order just one or two from them new(?).

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc doesn't have any of the UV AAA's left.
The "new" style Arc AAA is definately brighter and more purple than the "old" style Arc AAA. The older one is hardly visible at all compared with the newer one.
new vs. old Arc AAA info

The UV X5T blows away the Arc AAA though...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The "old style" Arc-AAA UV used a 370nm Nichia LED that emitted about 1mW, and the "new style" Arc-AAA NUV uses a Cree chip LED (manufacturer unknown) with a 395nm to 405nm wavelength that has a 12mW power output.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:Wow! That reads like a big difference!Is there nowhere I can get just one?ThanksAl

[/ QUOTE ]
I did notice that in the Hosfelt Electronics catalog that the "purple" 5mm LEDs (as opposed to their 2 different UV versions) are available in single quantities.

Al..if you would happen to have a US MiniMag around, the Purple LED will slide right into where the regular bulb usually goes. (you would only have to drill out the Mag reflector just a tad..really easy-only takes two minutes)

If you wanted to go that route, I would be glad to send you the 3X 2/3AA cells that will provide the necessary voltage (3.6) to operate that <font color="purple">purple</font> emitter.

Those Nicad batteries are merely the ones that power the handset on most cordless telephones.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think I could morally or socially carry or use a MagLite when I could use an Arc or even the Photon I've already got. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Al

TheFire

Enlightened
And yes, as you asked earlier, it is possible to do a completely custom head, if you want something that's really not available. I've even got most of the parts to do it... PM me if you want to try that route.