Light for work...

thefitter

Newly Enlightened
Looking for new work light.

Currently use Fenix E20, when they die I need to replace them immediately so I want to get another one now.

E20s have been good, I'd just like them without the multi intensity setting. Just need full on and off.

Push button switch on end.

Uses two regular AA, or Li-ion?

6" long to fit in my bibs.

One setting - Full.

What else is out there?

thanks

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Streamlight with the ten tap system can be set up for high only. I have a Protac 1L-1AA that I am very happy with.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Any Streamlight with the ten tap system can be set up for high only. I have a Protac 1L-1AA that I am very happy with.

I second any Streamlight Protac with the ten tap...available in any battery configuration you want.

Bert Reynolds

Newly Enlightened
I normally have about 3 lights. My most used is a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop in. I have used this particular 6P since about 2002. It has survived my time in the military and civilian law enforcement via patrol and correction. The main con is weight. Surprisingly though I keep a Streamlight Stylus in my shirt pocket and I think I used this about as much as the 6P since I carry it around both on and off duty. I only am pointing the 6P since you speak of replacing the E20 when it dies. In the life of my 6P I have changed 3 incandescent modules and have never had to again since spending the $43ish on it. I run through batteries but I have seriously been thinking about boring it out to accept a rechargeable battery. I have been on night shift since 2002 and run this light fairly hard.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't mention the use or application of the light. Near, far, etc.

I'll followup the recommendation of a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61 dropin. Tough enough to take almost anything you're going to dish out.

If you're looking for a slightly cheaper option, a Solarforce L2P and the same Malkoff M61 dropin. That gets you 18650 compatibility right out of the gate. Build quality is not on par with a Surefire though.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
convoy s2+, s3, build quality is more than enough for everyday use. i carry one with me at work for few years now, no complaints, never had any issues with it, it is also a lot cheaper than E20.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you like the thought of the ruggedness of the 6P, but want to spend a little less overall, Lumens Factory sells single mode drop ins that work well. An alternate to the 6P would be the G2, basically a 6P except it has an outer layer of Nitrolon, which makes it a little easier to grip with hands that are wet or oily, and are usually a little cheaper. Both can be found on our favorite auction site, with some judicious shopping. I don't know how either one compares to your current light as far as diameter goes, but if they won't fit where you currently carry your light, any of the fairly ubiquitous 1" holsters will serve instead.
As far as batteries go, I run 16650s in both of my G2s and my 6P. If I shake them real hard I can hear a slight rattle, but otherwise nothing. If a rattle bothers you just slip a piece of cardboard or plastic cut from something like a pop bottle in to shim the cell. I personally wouldn't bore out either light. There are too many dangers of weakening the body too much, especially behind the threads. I have heard numerous people state that they had bored out there's, and then the body broke at the threads.

Bert Reynolds

Newly Enlightened
I forgot about the G2 option. I think on eBay, my last purchase for a G2 war around $30. However there are some buy it now listings for a incan 6P for around $35.00. I wasn't aware of the problem with boring our the 6P. Thanks for letting me know. I will just stick with the 123s. Good call Timothybil! Also another one of my favs would be a Streamlight Scorpion LED. Decent light but the rubber does break down eventually. One thing I will point out in my earlier days of civilian law enforcement most guys were running Streamlight Stingers which is larger than the 6P. In my opinion Streamlight really has perfected the recharging side of the flashlight business compared to others from the factory. I think a comparable light to the 6P would be the Streamlight Strion. I would choose one of the older ones with an all metal body which is about the same size as the 6P but it is rechargeable instead of using CR123s.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
One caution with the G2 and an LED drop in. The Nitrolon head of the G2 does NOT conduct heat away from the LED like the aluminum head on a 6P will. This isn't much of a issue with short run times, but for extended run times it may damage the LED.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is correct but they do make a specific model for the G2 or G3.

Just to clarify, these lower output M61 modules are not specific for the G2 or G3 as they work in the 6P/9P just the same. No difference in fit or application, just a lower output. Many people run the L, LL, LLL, or LLLL in aluminum hosts just for longer runtimes.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing wrong with using 16650 cell in a G2/6P. The body is designed for 17mm cells, but a single mm difference doesn't matter that much. Like I said, if it really bothers you cut a sleeve or partial sleeve out of stiff paper stock or something like a plastic soda bottle. Just make sure the cell still slides in and out easily. You will find with steady use that the cost of using one-shot CR123s will add up. Any LED drop in that will work with two CR123s should also work with a single LiIon rechargeable. The only warning is that I would make sure that the LED drop in I was looking at will work with 8.4 volts before using two CR1635x cells, or you will let the magic blue smoke out that makes the LED work. :oops:

Nephron44

Enlightened
I think a comparable light to the 6P would be the Streamlight Strion. I would choose one of the older ones with an all metal body which is about the same size as the 6P but it is rechargeable instead of using CR123s.

All versions of the Strion that I have ever used or seen were all metal. The stinger comes in a poly format, but not the Strion to my knowledge.

Also, the Strion is a bit larger than the 6p. Not so much that it makes a difference for belt carry, but definitely noticeable if carried in a pocket.

GoVegan

Enlightened
The Streamlight Protacs have pretty short runtimes on high so not an ideal work light for single mode use, including the beam pattern.
Surefire 6P bodies ASAIK are no longer available besides IMO are too thick for work bibs and also have no clip.

For a good work light that fits in a front bib pocket I'd recommend the Maxxeon WorkStar 320, but you'll need to use NiMH AAA batteries for better runtimes.
Ideal for close up tasks, single mode, tail cap switch.
Spare parts available too for lens and tailcap as far as I remember.

Last edited: