Inretech Trilight III ! !

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit 8-5-04:
The pics with reflectors is Near post # 128

OH, MY EYES!!!! WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
Good thing I took a few reviewers' advice not to look at this when it's on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
(I had it pointed the other way when I fired it up for the 1st time).
Wow! What a sight! Very bright with a soft spot and bright, useful, floodlike corona and sidespill.
Snow white with very good color definition. Much like metal halide!
Way better than most current and previous leds and incandescant.

Trilight3 kit order#1371 ordered 2-16-04, got it 2-23-04 by usps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The kit felt lightweight until I installed it and the ucl lens I ordered with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(the whole head of the Mag instrument IS the heatsink when the kit is properly installed) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Batteries;
Rechargeable and throwaway alkalines are putting through about 2.0-2.4 amps depending on brand, rechargeable Nexcell 8500ma and Supreme Power 9000ma nimhs are both pushing 2.3-2.7 amps
depending on what state of discharge they are at. Your brands may vary a bit, but keep it under 3.0 amps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Good choice by Inretech on the size of dropping resistors on the kit's circuit board!
The whole head of the flashlight still does get hot when run for a while with 4 good batteries,
but nowhere near the 100 degree celsius the emitters can handle.
When it's off, it cools to room temp in only a couple minutes,
thus assuring excellent heat transfer from the Luxeon3 emitters-to the kit's heatsink-to the mag body.
I did use a little computer processor heatsink grease where the kit meets the mag body just to further avoid another semiconductor tragedy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
But you shouldn't have to unless you recieved instructions from Inretech to to so.(I recieved none)
That's how perfectly the kit fits the mag body.

On the job, nightshift security;

I nearly cratered my nexcell 8500s at work with the extensive foot patrolling in the highrise
buildings where I work at. (Over 3 hours of it total out of my 8hr shift.)
Did I mention how bright this thing is? Close to a 25 watt display halogen, maybe better!
Well, the whole building complex inside is mostly lights out at night and my trilight3 is seriously
wall to wall bright across the floors and parking garage (with most reflective signage and vehicle license plates lighting up bright for hundreds of yards).
All seven stories of the building exteriors can also be nicely illuminated to spot any "crawlers" or repellers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
And yes, plenty bright enough to momentarily blind any lingering bushwackers
wanting the building's master keys from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gifAhhh!, what the?
Why carry a puny, weak, incandescant or clumsy flourescent flashlight?
That's kidstuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Why blow $100-$200 on a "tactical" flashlight?
This thing seriously blows most of them away!(its just simply big enough to) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3-2-04;

Over a week has gone by now with using my new Trilight3 kit.
The original mag instrument head parts are now lost somewhere in a little plastic box without a care.
At work, I have been completing foot patrols a bit faster, now that I don't bump into things
or constantly having to turn lights on and off again in the dark, found and reported maintainance related things more frequently and even frightened some pee out of a cleaning crewman I found
sleeping in a conference room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
He quit when the cleaning crew supervisor and other crew members saw his /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif 2tone pants and
he had no good explanation in english or espanol as to why he was sleeping on the job in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif
I would have never found him with a smaller light.

Fellow nightshift security personnel, this is one great handheld shadowbuster to have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Why blow $200 on a new computer part, new wheels, new tv(when you already have a good one),
new stereo or a high dollar tactical flashlight that uses expensive little throwaway batteries that
were (seemingly) imported from another planet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Trilight3 kit with ultra clear lense and usps shipping=$142 (as of 3-2-04);
4 good rechargeable 8500ma nimh batteries and a good charger +usps=$59;
Enjoying your job as a nightshift security officer = well, you be the judge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
comments, re;'s and other impressions of this light welcomed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: Inretech Trilight3

Hello 3rd Shift,

Welcome to CPF.

Yes, I have to agree. The Trilight is capable of putting a smile on my face too.

Tom

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The Trilight III is a very nice flashlight, if a little on the large side. But it has a fantastic light quality, which, I believe, is its saving grace.

I measured 1.84 amps in mine, using Radio Shack Enercell alkaline cells, and the brightness was measured at 820,000mcd. The Trilight III produces a nice wide circular spot with enough spill light to be truly useful.
I'll let my review speak for itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dear Led Museum;
It was your review of trilight3 that revealed it as a good product for my profession as a nightshift security guard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
When I saw the "improved version" on your site, I knew the time had come to buy one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

The TriLight-III is my personal favorite, I keep one in the car besides the "missile launcher" (9x 24 inch cardboard tubes) demo case that I take to shows

The UCL glass does make a difference - although since it is glass, it will break

Anyone ordering from our site and mentioning "saw it on CPF" will get a free UCL lens

Zvi

Newly Enlightened

Are rechargeable NiMhs ok with Trilight III?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Inretech will tell you to keep the amperage under 3.0 amps.
My Nimhs stay under that (2.4 cold, or 2.65 hot off the charger).
A good dc amp meter should come in under 70 bucks nowadays, or borrow one from a friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Mine was $39. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif
There are some nimh cells and fast "smart" chargers on the web at Batterymart.com and amondotech.com (to name a couple) that will really bring out the best of most flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just recieved an update from Inretech via email that Trilight3 IS an instock unit ready to ship next day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
So, order it if you want it, and see what I have seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought several cheap DVMs with 10A current scale for under $4 at Harbor Freight

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened

I wonder how this light compares against the Elektrolumens Tri-Star???

Elektrolumens claims 216 "lumens"

Inretech claims 820000 "mcd"

Which is brighter???

lumens,mcd's,lux,... why doesnt everyone use the same measurements so it would be easier to compare??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just got an email with the same question... I don't know which one is brighter, because I do not own and have never seen an Elektrolumens Tri-Star.
I have an InReTECH Trilight III, but not the Tri-Star.
So I'm in no position whatsoever to compare the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

To measure "lumens", you need an instrument called an "integrating sphere", and I don't own or have access to one of those things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Yeah Craig but you DO have an Integrating Bathroom Toliet (had to work that word in somehow) Ceiling, don'tcha? Heh heh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned

"lumens,mcd's,lux,... why doesnt everyone use the same measurements so it would be easier to compare???"
Obfuscation is the hallmark of the insecure, the ignorant and the un-helpful. My mission is to enlighted the world to standardization -especially, ISO standardization.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Trilight3 is rated at 240 lumens (3-15-2004)
If the spec sheets are up to date on the Luxeon3's, this would be at or near thier collective 3 amp limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif
At 2.1 amps (700ma each) these are rated at 192 total. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Yours with ordinary batteries of a good brand should be right there at 1.7-2.3 amps.
Or just do what I do and use good rechargeable batteries for 2.3-2.7 amps for near full brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I'm just now looking into the temperature probe feature on my multitester and should have some temps posted here soon, but I can already say that it doesn't seem to get all too hot to the touch even when driven relatively hard compared to the 100 degree celsius the emitters can handle.
I also recently got a mag rubber hex shaped bezel cover for additional protection for the ucl lense and to keep the dang thing from rolling away from me when I set it down.
This cover has the appearance that it would interfere with the light output, but it doesn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
The collimators actually "hourglass" the beams with the hourglass beams' apex each missing the rubber bezel and putting out the same exact beam/flood pattern as before; cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
This cover also allows easily inserting a colored lense in front of the stiff glass ucl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
This came as part of an accessory kit for the D cell mags
(model #ASXX376, part #108-000-430)
Included were the rubber bezel cover, a pair of d cell wall mount hangers with screws, and three colored lenses; one clear, one red and one blue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you select "PRODUCTS" from the main webpage, it lists the TRILIGHT-III as 240 Lumens

This assumes that you are able to drive the adapter at full power of 3A

User "3rd Shift" stated that using NiMh was able to get 2.4A or 2.65A; so the light output will be slightly lower - approx 212 Lumens - so they are comparable

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Are they DD? I'm working on a couple lights with a setup very similar to the 3 Lux array.

And why the big inrush of Inretech stuff…

Geez, I saw them about a month ago then now there are about 5 active threads and a few add-on's to on-going threads.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trilight3 is not a direct drive unit, but a closer look at the behavior of many light emitting diodes will reveal the reason why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
Most leds have a very high resistance to a point, and then when enough voltage is applied, the resistance drops off significantly allowing much more current to flow.
The dropping series resistors make most leds more manageable for most types of batteries (including the rather mean nimhs I use). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I think direct drive is the most efficient way to drive leds, but not really the most practical for some unless a cooler, slightly underdriven setup is desired.
My Led Lenser v2 turbos are direct drive, but the puny "N" size Tandy nimh batteries can only manage a perfect 701ma instead of a theoretical 1000+ma drive current from thier 4.1+ voltage to drive thier rare, early Luxeon3 emitters with.(most of these came with luxeon1's.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif
Bigger nimhs (AA, C or D) would likely have literally smoked these while thier throwaway counterparts may not have had enough oomph to properly drive them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Yeah Craig but you DO have an Integrating Bathroom Toliet (had to work that word in somehow) Ceiling, don'tcha? Heh heh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The "bathroom ceiling test" is useful to compare the relative light output of a couple of lights being tested (alternately shining one, then the other, at the ceiling), but you can't actually get a lumen value this way. It's a rather nonscientific test, but it does have its uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think I've used the results on The LED Museum once or twice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(I found one example)

Using the "poor man's integrating sphere" (the ceiling of a windowless bathroom), both lights put out approximately the same amount of total light; the Star looks much brighter here because its output is focused into a tighter beam instead of being more diffuse like the 1400. So you really can't go wrong buying either light, but if you need a greater "throw", get the Expedition Star.

This particular example is toward the bottom of my Expedition Star page.

To test a Trilight III and a Tri-Star in this manner, one would need to have both flashlights, and I cannot satisfy that part.