Reylight Brass Pineapple Switch Problems?

Gyrocks

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I've done quite a bit of looking around and I've found some people complaining of a wobbly switch, or a gritty press action on their lights but this is different.

I recently acquired a Reylight Brass Pineapple. I think it's a 1st generation because it has the old style clip and no memory function.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes the light does not switch off with a full press (audible and tactile click). Instead it will just jump to the next mode. It seems almost as if there is something internal that is not quite making the switch and breaking the connection. Once this happens, it always takes two additional full clicks to shut the light off. (1st failed click should have been off, then have to click again which would be on and then once more for off).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I disassembled the tail piece and put a little deoxit into the hole on the side of the switch housing and tried exercising it for a while, but it is still acting up once in a while. Has anyone had any luck sourcing replacement switches for this light?

Thanks for looking!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what the tail of the pineapple looks like, but my first guess would be if you can get it apart, try shimming between the metal button and the switch to ensure the button doesn't bottom out before pushing the switch far enough to click.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you take it apart and we can try to give some advice!
Shimming sounds like a good possibility

Gyrocks

Newly Enlightened
Can you take it apart and we can try to give some advice!
Shimming sounds like a good possibility

Hello, Thank you both for responding. Here are some pictures of the switch itself, and the tail disassembled showing how it nests together. The switch sits inside the brass collar and is actuated by the bump on the bottom of the silver button, with the rubber dome in between. Are you thinking of shimming between the button and the rubber dome, or under the dome up against the actual switch?

https://imgur.com/a/sk2vhQm
sk2vhQm

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
Edited because it was a different issue.
If you want to try replacing the switch try contacting Rey. I believe he goes by hbk_rey here, he also has a Facebook group.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the black square switch feel now that it's disassembled? Does it have a definitive click?
If so should be above the black switch, if the switch doesn't feel good independently of all the other parts, it might need to be replaced

Gyrocks

Newly Enlightened
How does the black square switch feel now that it's disassembled? Does it have a definitive click?
If so should be above the black switch, if the switch doesn't feel good independently of all the other parts, it might need to be replaced
It's definitely not the best feeling switch ever, but it makes an audible and tactile click for sure. I think I'll just replace the switch if it's not too expensive.

Light-Modder thank you for the contact info! I'll drop Rey a message.

Gyrocks

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to make a quick update. I got in touch with Rey and he was able to locate a replacement switch for me and sent it out for free! I put it in yesterday and the light is working great. Thanks everyone and thanks Rey!