What you guys do with old AA chargers ?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have about half dozen or so old AA chargers the type that come packaged with Eneloop batteries probably 5 to 10 years old. I keep them but never use them. What you guys do with it ?

nbp

Flashaholic
Include an Eneloop and a bonus charger the next time you sell a AA light on the Marketplace. :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If they are timer based chargers keep one of them and toss the rest in a garage sale.
If they are smart chargers sell them that you don't use or give a charger and 4 batteries away to someone as a gift
along with a light on a birthday or holiday

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
Sent them somehow to those in the Third World, save them money, preserve the environment.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of smart chargers will not charge low voltage nimh battery`s, I keep an only dumb charger to give the battery`s a 5-10 min charge and then put them in the smart charger to finish the charge.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A lot of smart chargers will not charge low voltage nimh battery`s, I keep an only dumb charger to give the battery`s a 5-10 min charge and then put them in the smart charger to finish the charge.

much easier than connecting a good battery in parallel with a dead one via paperclips to give it a small charge.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I must think different from the rest. I have ever charger I have ever bought 😂😂

fmc1

Enlightened
First off any charger that terminates only on time should go in the trash. The only exception would be to give it to someone you don't like.

Seriously I have bought quite a few eneloop sets over the years that included chargers. The only chargers that I have not given away or thrown away are basically a few of the Panasonic chargers that are currently available for sale in the US. I kept a BQ-CC55 because it's reasonably fast, however I would prefer no top off charge but it does not work like that. I also kept a BQ-CC17, those are very slow but they terminate on –dv/dt with no top off charge, which I prefer over other termination methods. It's also quite small so I kept one. I also have a few BQ-CC75's because that's what Costco included in their most recent eneloop package offerings. The BQ-CC75 is also very slow, because it uses the same low charge currents as the BQ-CC17. All of these charges get very little to zero use. I just always go to my MC3000's because I know they are doing everything correctly.

Frank

PartyPete

Enlightened
I use them as a back up. Occasionally in my Eneloop charger if the cell is completely dead the charger will fail to recognize it and charge it. A few minutes on the old dumb charger and it has enough juice to go back on the safer, more efficient Eneloop charger.

Although I haven't depleted an Eneloop that much in a really long time so I'm not sure if my primary charger would recognize it or not, but I know the Panasonic charger had this problem.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them as a back up. Occasionally in my Eneloop charger if the cell is completely dead the charger will fail to recognize it and charge it. A few minutes on the old dumb charger and it has enough juice to go back on the safer, more efficient Eneloop charger.

Although I haven't depleted an Eneloop that much in a really long time so I'm not sure if my primary charger would recognize it or not, but I know the Panasonic charger had this problem.

Yeah, I've reverse-charged Eneloops before, down to around -0.5v. None of my regular chargers recognize this; they all think I've just inserted it backwards. Dumb-chargers are great for getting it back to positive voltage, so the regular chargers can take over.

BTW, Eneloops do survive having their polarity reversed. I'm guessing it's not great for them, but I haven't seen any adverse affects from the times I have accidentally done it.