TerraLUX LightStar InfiniStar 275?

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the older Lightstar 80. It was extremely comfortable in hand. Operation was simple. The color rendition was good. Tint was fairly friendly. The light level was nicely balanced, being plenty for basic tasks without much risk of painful glare. It was also wonderfully affordable.

Now I see they've got a new generation on the market. The TerraLUX/LightStar InfiniStar 275 is more expensive but not ridiculously so. It is USB-rechargeable and the battery pack can supposedly be charged 400 times. I generally prefer to use eneloops but with the Li-ion here, it supposedly gets 275 lumens on high for 1.5 hours. There is a 50-lumen low but I don't see a published run-time.

I don't see any reviews for this flashlight yet. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, part of the attraction of the Lightstar 80 was its simplicity. Open it, insert cell, close and go. That also made it a great gift light, one didn't have to worry if the recipient could handle the whole recharging issue. And a lot of the unenlightened had no problem with NiMH cells. Oh, and the price was right too. Are they still going to keep the Lightstar 80?

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
For me, part of the attraction of the Lightstar 80 was its simplicity. Open it, insert cell, close and go. That also made it a great gift light, one didn't have to worry if the recipient could handle the whole recharging issue. And a lot of the unenlightened had no problem with NiMH cells. Oh, and the price was right too. Are they still going to keep the Lightstar 80?

That's true. Last Christmas, I organized a few enlightened family members to do package gifts for some of our less enlightened kinfolk. They all got a Lightstar 80 in their favorite color, a 4-pack of Eneloops, the basic charger, and a little battery case. For the older folks, the card included a whimsical note about how they'd have light for the rest of their days. It was a big success.

I don't know what the future looks like for the Lightstar 80. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I stocked up just in case.