Are energizer disposable AA lithiums a fire hazard like 18650 and others?

mountaindewer

Newly Enlightened
Being lithium, I always assumed they could catch fire like an 18650, but are they a safer and less likely, if at all, to catch fire?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are entirely different.

An 18650 that catches fire probably catches fire during charging because incorrect handling has allowed crystals to form in the electrolyte which act as shorts and create localized heat spikes within the cell.

This is not an issue with the energizer lithium primary cells since they are never recharged.

I've heard of CR123 cells catching fire when there are two or more in series and one cell goes empty before the other cells and the remaining cells reverse charge the empty cell. I've never heard of this happening with the energizer lithium primaries, but I suppose it may be possible if you have several cells in series. The energizer's lower cell voltage probably makes this unlikely unless you have a lot of cells in series.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in if I've gotten anything wrong.

--flatline

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
While they can "catch fire" if abused and probably under the correct circumstances, the lithium primary cells you are referring to are constructed differently than a rechargeable 18650. They aren't rechargeable so you shouldn't be trying to do so...I imagine that could cause them to catch fire. Even though lithium is flammable it is usually not what starts the problem within rechargeable cells, rather an internal short that causes the whole structure inside the cell to melt and burn.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're more likely to be hit by falling blue ice than you are to suffer a fire when using quality 18650s and charger.

Exactly. People over-emphasize the dangers of lithium-ion batteries. By all means, be smart and be safe, and don't do dumb things with cells. But, genuine name-brand quality cells, and a decent charger, will protect you.

Yes, there's always that 1-in-a-million chance of a safety issue. Be far more worried about the electrical system in your house, or a problem with your car brakes, or your gas BBQ. Life is dangerous.