Surefire 9an commander - battery replacement

Ibanez

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

I have inherited a surefire 9an commander with a original charger and two B90 batteries. From a brief bit of research, I am aware that the B90 battery is no longer in production and had problems during its production run. I have attempted to charge the two B90s and they do not hold their charge longer than 10-15 minutes. The torch and bulb(s) work well.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to these types of torches. I'm also UK based. When I attempted to order a direct replacement from the US, the shipping fees were around $200 for a $20 battery, so that was not an option. I'd be grateful if I could receive advice on whether:

1) There is a reasonable replacement for these batteries in the UK (or reasonable shipping);
2) If there is a replacement I can buy (ie three batteries in series; and
3) If there is any other option that I have.

As I said i have no knowledge of torches so if all repsonses could be in "noob" language i'd be grateful.

I am a keen photographer/hiker so I would like to get this torch back up and running, as a sturdy torch such as this one would help out loads for when i'm out at night.

Look forward to receiving your advice.

Sam

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... As I said i have no knowledge of torches so if all repsonses could be in "noob" language i'd be grateful....

Here is what I just tried ...

In the upper right of every page on CPF, there is a small "search bar" next to an icon of a magnifying glass.

I entered "SureFire 9AN" to start, but adding or removing terms may sometimes be needed.

In this case, 6 of the top 7 entries appear to discuss upgrade / conversion / modification of this item.

Reading through the relevant threads provides a variety of options.

This isn't meant to be a flippant response, but it saves everyone a lot of time if simple searches are done first, so that (#1) OP is more familiar with the basics, and (#2) can then further narrow their questions and requests appropriately.

We all like to help here, but us doing a search and copy-pasting links often leads to the requester adding more relevant details later in the process.

It looks like a variety of adapters and mods may be available, hopefully one will turn out to be suitable for you. Cheers ! :)

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery stick used in Streamlight Stingers works in the old Surefires that used a B90.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
TAD's Customs have a B90 battery adaptor available that accepts 18650 protected and unprotected batteries.

Surefire-B90-B92-Battery-Adapter-2.jpg

As dano mentioned the Streamlight battery stick, 75375 is the NiMH version.

51qMTmICx8L._SX466_.jpg

I've used the above battery in a Surefire 8NX and had to add a small magnet to the + to get it to work.

If you struggle to find the Streamlight battery in the UK there is a Dutch company called Zaklampen.nl that stock them.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short:
Makes no sense anymore.

The typical "p60 host" light with a good led insert + 18650 does everything better AND is smaller.

And that 18650 thing to put inside ... well ohne can run a li-ion cell that way, but the size problem + toting around air inside the light stays.
;)

When You still absolutely need to use that light, try a search for "building b90 battery stick"-threads; i have posted a few over the years, Sommer including pics.
(for 9n model You only need the stick, without the added negative contact, so really entry level mod)

Simple 6 cell 7.2 volt racing pack, sub c size.
When lucky (or chosen the "right" pack at ordering, you might get one, where the individual 3-cell-stick are already nicely bonded together...)

Watch out the secondary bulb to :poof: quickly.
I got the habit of immediately soldering a 0.5-1 ohm resistor into its wiring to fight that
(a "problem" way better solved today by a led driver) ;)

Last edited: