Need help finding a flashlight for friend with Down Syndrome

MerkinDonor

Newly Enlightened
Hi All! I have a friend with down syndrome who is very afraid of the dark. She loves to see movies at the movie theater, but finds it too dark to enjoy the movie. She just nervously stares at the door the whole time. A few weeks ago a let her use an old Nitecore SRT-7 that I had. I turned it down as low as it could go (maybe ~10 lumens?). She held the flashlight and pointed it at the floor in front of her this calmed her down enough that she was able to enjoy the movie!

The problem is that it's still a bit too bright as to not disturb other patrons, and it's easy to accidentally turn up the flashlight to something very disruptive!

Does anyone know of a good light with a low lumen mode (1-10 lumens) that can be locked in as the only mode? I doubt she would ever figure out how to get to the programming menu on her own.

Thank you so much for your help!

hikoka

Newly Enlightened
Does it have to be multi-mode or led? How about one of the older incandescent Maglites that takes the two AA batteries (or even one of the AAA keychain lights)? Should cast a warm glow across the floor without so much glare it lights up the room.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

WOW --
You joined CPF nearly SIX YEARS AGO,
and THIS is yer' Very First Post ? ? ?

Truly a man of few words !
;)

I'd suggest getting hold of a (now discontinued)
47's Quark QTA (1xAA) flashlight.

Program both settings
(Head Tight, and Head Loose)
to be Moon Mode.

Load with an Energizer L91 lithium cell.
Tighten everything up TIGHT,
to help discourage "dis-assembly".

I'd also attach a wrist lanyard,
so it won't be easily dropped in the darkness.

This would produce about a quarter-Lumen,
which is certainly sufficient to see
in dark rooms, with dark-adapted eyes.

And won't cause problems to other
members of the audience.

Hope this is helpful.

:candle:
_

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]I would recommend one my favorite EDC lights, but it requires an unprotected lithium-ion battery, and the ability to adjust the thermal sensor. This probably isn't something for the novice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Maratac AA Titanium V2 with eneloop rechargeables and a lanyard would be a nice choice.[/FONT]

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think Burgess' idea of the 47's is a great idea.
I wonder if one of those chemical light sticks might be bright enough for her comfort, and not too disturbing to others.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
The old 4 sevens AA or 2AA tactical would be perfect.

I have had a 2AA 4 sevens tactical amongst my car torches since about 2010. I use it for loaning to other people specifically because of that ability to lock in the brightness mode (I set it to the same mode for both head loose and head tight). That torch can be programmed to be very low and no-one I've ever loaned it to has come close to doign the four fast head twists that it takes to reprogram the brightness levels.

MerkinDonor

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all very much for your help and advice!!

Burgess, Your suggestion was perfect and I purchased the Quark from the link you suggested. Thank you so much! This will make a big difference in her life and I think she will enjoy movies and concerts much more now, and I wont have to worry about a retina-blaster-mode accidentally be turned on!

Cheers to lovely, helpful internet communities!

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
maglite solitaire incandescent or streamlight protac EMS. I would probably go with the maglite though due to simplicity.