Led Lenser beam distance question

Tony Rama

Newly Enlightened
Just wondered if anyone knows why the P7 at 450lm has a beam distance of 300m but the P7R at 1000lm is only 210m. Obviously there is a physical reason in that there must be some difference in the optics, but why would Led Lenser reduce the beam throw?

Interested to know if anyone has any ideas about this.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get more lumens, you generally have to go to an LED with a larger surface area and unless you go with a much larger reflector, you are not going to get as much light focused into the hot spot of the beam.

Tony Rama

Newly Enlightened
To get more lumens, you generally have to go to an LED with a larger surface area and unless you go with a much larger reflector, you are not going to get as much light focused into the hot spot of the beam.

Thanks. That seems to be a logical explanation. So although the there is an upgrade of near and medium field luminosity, the beam throw is less. I recently bought a P7R new for £52 including postage because the box had some light fading on it. For that price I am very pleased with it since it will mainly be used for near and medium field.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Light company's will go to different LED's to get different results " beam patterns ". That 1000 lumens light is more for flood whereas the 450 model is built more for throw.more Lumens does not necessarily mean more throw.

Tony Rama

Newly Enlightened
Light company's will go to different LED's to get different results " beam patterns ". That 1000 lumens light is more for flood whereas the 450 model is built more for throw.

Good info.

More Lumens does not necessarily mean more throw.

That is understood. It would seem that (from info. from xxo above) that a much larger reflector would be needed to maximise throw from this particular LED. And the reason is given by yourself that the physical size of the 1000lm LED is bigger. So all my questions have been answered.